remote oil filter

INA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2.5 TDI
Sorry I dont get to come on here all too often but I feel the need to set the record straight since there seems to be alot of signals crossed.
It almost has to be, by necessity.
No it does not. Its function CAN be similar but its design can be completely different.I have NO problems engineering a part to your specifications but I DO have a problem if I am asked to COPY someone elses product.

I said I would make the plate (as I have done in the past) that allows the breather portion of the block and the oil filter to be integrated as one. When I supplied a price I was told I was too expensive and thats that. If I was asked to make a copy of NLS's plate I would direct you to NLS as we deal with Josh on a professional level.

Look we are all enthusiast here and I am sure if any of you asked me for help I would happily offer it. There is not much more to discuss or bicker over on this. I wish you all best of luck with your conversions and should you need any help fire me off an email : sales@inaengineering.com

Thanks.

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
Is there any word on if this is going ahead? I need some sort of solution soon and this seems like the best option out there. NLS has removed the listing from their eBay store, and I don't want to use a standard relocation.

I want to use a plate with ports and an Amsoil BMK23.

I really see no reason why this can't happen. I think we should make this happen. It will help a number of people and not really hurt anyone.

If there was a place I could buy one today I would, but there isn't :(

dennis1a4

TDI
Toyota Integra TDI
I don't think that the summit one looks very nice. Plus i've heard that it is prone to leaks because of the added seals. I'd rather have a nice clean install that will last for a long time.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I'll go ahead and dredge this little thread up from the depths...

I'm seriously considering doing the remote oil filter housing from a BMW. Has anyone done this?

Does anyone know where hose 13 is going or what it's doing?

And, lastly, does anyone know if the internal pressure valves (assuming the housing has them) are set to? I wonder if they will play nice with the TDI and the 5W-40 (possibly 5W-30) I intend to use...

The V8 beemer's use a remote cartridge style oil filter housing fyi, been thinking about that for a while.

OP, what about your oil cooler?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
I'll go ahead and dredge this little thread up from the depths...
I'm seriously considering doing the remote oil filter housing from a BMW. Has anyone done this?
Does anyone know where hose 13 is going or what it's doing?
And, lastly, does anyone know if the internal pressure valves (assuming the housing has them) are set to? I wonder if they will play nice with the TDI and the 5W-40 (possibly 5W-30) I intend to use...
What is wrong with the stock top loading filter cartridges? They are inexpensive, and I never have a drop of oil on my engine when I do an oil change. What am I missing? :confused:

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
What is wrong with the stock top loading filter cartridges? They are inexpensive, and I never have a drop of oil on my engine when I do an oil change. What am I missing? :confused:
NOTHING! I love them! That's why I'm looking for a remote mount canister and not a remote mount spin-on.

This is for a 1991 2wd Toyota swap (ALH) I'm working on. Here are the problems that I'm facing:

- the coolant hard pipe that runs down the side of the block, under the injection pump was:
a) taking up VALUABLE space at the rear of our ALH and would
b) hit the R150 (Toyota V6) bellhousing/transmission adapter
Because of this, I bobbed off the hard pipe right before it would have crashed into the bellhousing and right after the nipple that originally received the coolant after it had visited the oil/coolant heat exchanger at the bottom of the filter housing.

- the lines coming out of the heat exchanger were not going to clear getting around my 3" stainless steel exhaust (that is routed from the passenger side UP OVER the top of the bellhousing and then down the driver side.

- the coolant hose that normally supplies water to the heat exchanger comes off the back of the head. Again, this is a highly contested bit of real estate. So, I bought a coolant flange that didn't have that nipple.

The problem is two fold:
- no lines to feed/receive coolant to/from the heat exchanger and
- the lack of clearance between the drivers side motor mount (front), left hand frame rail (side), and the 3" exhaust (rear). The heat exchanger sits in a 'well' that I can't seem to get coolant hoses to and if I could get coolant hoses to it, I don't have nipples to attach them to.

The nipple that originally supplied coolant is gone and the nipple that accepted the coolant after going to the heat exchanger, I was planning to use for my coolant-out of the heater core.

That leads me to look at a remote mount that clears up some space and remedies the lack of coolant nipples.

Last edited:

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
I am interested in one... may need to just make my own but it would be nice if there is a spare or two laying around.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I am interested in one... may need to just make my own but it would be nice if there is a spare or two laying around.
I've got a BMW remote mount canister housing on its way to me as we speak. I also have an oil cooler from a BHW Passat coming.

One way or another, I've got to get this oil system nailed down.

I can let you know how the BMW part looks (as far as viability goes) when I get it. It definitely looks like a strong contender.

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
The problem I am seeing with off the shelf units... They only have one port which is used for an oil pressure switch.

We need that as well as a clean high flow turbo supply.

It would be nice to have another port for oil temperature... even the VR6 motors had a dual port setup for temp and another for pressure.

The one posted above... is that for the new style ALH block and not the old AHU one?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I believe it fits the ALH engine.

As for additional ports, I'm sure it can be drilled and tapped! As pictured, the pressure side is on the right (pre filter). So, looking on the back side will let you know where to drill. And, you could use a T fitting at the outlet or inlet for additional gizmos! The pressure will be almost 99% the same on either side.

I'm working on a fab based on the OE filter housing. It contains the pressure relief valves, which, I assume are important or VW would not have designed them into the unit!

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
The part from evguy is for the ALH. It has a total of FIVE ports.

I chose not to go with that part for the following reasons:
- uses NPT threads
- is a cast part
- I don't think it has any sort of valving (the stock oil filter housing assembly has THREE valves in it)
- you lose the heat exchanger

Andy, as pictured above, the oil is coming up from the oil pump and out the left port. Clean, filtered oil is flowing back to the engine through the right port.

I've rotated the image so you can see what the orientation would be when bolting it up (dirty oil bottom, clean oil top):

You can see the port on the other side in this image:

Last edited:

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Yes this does fit the ALH and later engines and it does have a second port for another pressure sender.
The next batch will have #6-ORB ports instead of the NPT thanks to feedback from this list. :)
They are cast from NEW, A356 alloy and heat treated to the -T6 condition.
This alloy is perhaps the most commonly specified for aluminum sand castings where pressure tightness is a requirement. The -T6 means it has been precipitation hardened to achieve maximum strength. Possibly not an absolute requirement in this case, but the machinability is much better than the more 'gummy' as-cast material. Also makes for less chance of stripping out the threads.
Most spin on filters have the valving built into them, just be sure to use filters with the valves.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
evguy, I know that you know way more about cast products than do I. I'm sure they'll be fine and I'm glad to see you making the next batch with ORB ports.

I appreciate you making products for this very small market. If I can't get the Passat cooler to work for me, I may be in touch.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Frambach, thanks for the clarification!

I was having a hard time remembering the orientation, although, I've sit for long periods studying both the OE oil filter housing and engine block!

I'm in the process of "preparing" a low-profile ALH (IP included) for fitment in a Vanagon without the engine bay lid having to be modified or sitting the engine on the ground. So, addressing the oil filter housing is a must.

When I get it going, I plan to do a Thread with photos, etc.

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I'm in the process of "preparing" a low-profile ALH (IP included) for fitment in a Vanagon without the engine bay lid having to be modified or sitting the engine on the ground. So, addressing the oil filter housing is a must.

When I get it going, I plan to do a Thread with photos, etc.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Good luck!

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
So, I got the BMW oil filter housing (p/n 1437582) in. It's a good looking component that Hengst is supplying.

I can't understand why it isn't the "LS Swap" of remote oil filters. Why have a filter you have to crawl around to get to or makes a mess when you change it when you could have this one?

It has a large filter element and looks good. Retrofitting lines to it would be a snap!

Anyhow, I don't plan to use it on the project truck. I was able to get an oil cooler from a BHW (OEM p/n: 038 117 021 B) that makes my lines clear oh-so-nicely.

The BMW housing is up for grabs if anyone is interested (more pics here: http://imgur.com/a/JByh0).

I've cleaned it all up (it arrived seeping used oil with a used filter still installed) & it's ready to go!

Here's how the BHW part is shaping up:

All Stock

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
I have a BHW cooler like new with only a few months on it... I don't plan to use anymore.. could have worked a tradeish...
How much are you asking for the BMW filter housing?

frambach

TDI
3 ALHs
I have a BHW cooler like new with only a few months on it... I don't plan to use anymore.. could have worked a tradeish...
How much are you asking for the BMW filter housing?
$75 including shipping anywhere in the CONUS.

Here's one w/o the lines on eBay for $69 + $15 shipping.

Here's another for $70 w/o the lines but free shipping.

With mine, you're getting what you see. Not a generic pic like what happened to me :(
I mean, why would you ship it with oil & a filter in it? They took the time to roll up 3 papertowels & stuff them in the lines!? That didn't stop it from drooling though :rolleyes:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Just to revive an old thread, I am going the BMW remote filter housing route on my AHU and fitting the V6 cooler (and stud) along with it. My AHU installed in a MK2 already has the filter very close to the front crossmember, and I wanted to fit a larger cooler so the only way seems to be move the filter elsewhere to clear that. Links are all below, I am just adding some #8 or #10 (not sure, need to look at the BMW lines when they arrive) AN lines and fittings and I will be good to go. Also a new seal since I'm getting a used cooler, since I I figured a used OEM one is better than a new junk one.

Filter housing that I so gratefully found from looking at this thread

Oil filter relocation kit for my filter housing

Oil cooler with stud