Mk7 Golf after market shocks issue

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
There has been a change in the shock tube diameter dimension of the front shock, which has decreased from 55mm diameter to a 50mm diameter shock tube.

The 55mm front shock was first announced by Bilstein on 14.08.2014 (August 14, 2014) as shown here at http://www.bilsteinus.com/news-even...uspension-for-the-original-hot-hatch-vw-golf/ and listed as Part# 35-229872 for the B6 HD version front shock. There was no indication of any other specification. I ordered these shocks from my long time supplier TIRERACK, along with the B6 rear shocks. The B6 rear shocks fit without any problems.

Late yesterday afternoon, my VW dealer mechanic/technician called me to tell me that the Bilstein front shocks I supplied him with did not fit my 2105 Mk7 Golf TDI S 6-speed, which I took delivery of in late September. My Mk7 had the smaller outside strut diameter 50mm front shocks and the 55mm shocks I supplied him would not fit!

A call to Frank Zuonz at ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America, AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS HEADQUARTERS - WEST (the Bilstein EAST office was already closed) clarified the problem, when he indicated that an additional configuration shock would be available to address this front shock diameter dimension change from 55mm to 50mm, in about 12 weeks. He also indicated that their online catalog had been updated to reflect this additional VW Mk7 product change.

The links to the two different Bilstein front shocks are as follows...

55mm Outside Strut Diameter (available now)
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/35-229872/421805/FWD

50mm Outside Strut Diameter (coming soon)
http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/35-229865/421805/FWD

Unfortunately, if you click on the 'View Vehicle Applications' link, for the two Bilstein Mk7 model front shocks, you'll see that there currently is no way to identify what front shock diameter model you may have, as the two listings are identical. You'll have to measure the diameter of your front shock to find out! I would hope VW would help clarify this identity problem, by providing additional info as to which Mk7 Golf has what diameter size front shock? Certainly the vehicle production date of when this change was made would be very helpful.

You will ofcourse, have to make sure that any other after market brand front shock you may wish to use, is available in the dimension to fit your mounting, 55mm or 50mm.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
AN UPDATE -
A discussion with my VW mechanic and others, while I was at my VW dealer picking up my 2015 Mk7 Golf TDI S 6-speed this morning, suggests that the more readly available Bilstein B6 front shock for the 2015 VW Golf, Part Number: 35-229872 is only for the Golf GTI, which accepts the larger 55mm diameter shock tube, because of its heavier duty suspension system. And the Mk7 GTI has been available for a while longer than the Mk7 Golf TDI. So it doesn't appear to be a question of change, but one of simply the VW Golf model involved.

The 2015 Mk7 VW R and VW GTD may also use the 55mm shock, but they are not yet in the U.S. and it's unclear if they ever will be.

There are no 2015 VW Golf TDI configurations using the 55mm shock, only the 50mm is in evidence, which is the Bilstein Part Number: 35-229865, but not yet available. So this is the one required if you're driving a 2015 VW Golf TDI S, SE, or SEL configuration, based on what we know today.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
An UPDATE -
Tirerack said yesterday that they had some info from Bilstein on Jan. 28 that the 50mm B6 front shocks for the 2015 Golf TDI are about 4 weeks from delivery. I asked Tirerack for an update since I was unable to obtain any availability info directly from Bilstein. I've used Bilstein products for decades, and am certainly dissapointed that getting product availability directly from them is now impossibe, based on my many and recent efforts.
FWIW.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
FINAL UPDATE -
The 50mm version of the Bilstein B6 front shocks for the 2015 VW Golf TDI are being delivered by UPS today from Tirerack! So these shocks are now available, at least at this source. Weather permitting they will be installed shortly. I trust they will perform like our previous Bilstein B6 shocks have on our earlier vehicles, including our 2002 Golf GLS 5-speed, 2003.6 Golf GL 5-speed and 1983 E28 BMW, plus others. If not, I'll comment.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
A quick note about todays Bilstein B6 road tests -
March 12, 2015

The new Bilstein B6 shocks are finally on my 2015 VW Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed and it handles great. Just as I anticipated it would and just as our two VW Golf Mk4's have after they were also fitted with Bilstein B6 shocks, years ago.

While the Mk7 VW Golf chassis is a big improvement over the Mk4, the new Mk7 can still benefit from the Bilstein B6's. I say this having driven the Mk7 over 3,000 miles before installing the new Bilstein B6's, earlier this week.

The Bilstein's are certainly worth the cost and their contribution to the VW stock springs control, are always the best that I've experienced, compared to other shock absorber brands I've used with stock springs. I've installed Bilstein B6 shocks on no less than a dozen of our own cars over the years, plus quite a few on friends automobiles and they've always proven to be the best in terms of working with the stock springs, especially on German cars, such as our own BMW and VW cars, for the past 30 years.

The only thing I wish was better on these current Bilstein's on our new 2015 VW Golf, is that the rebound control is not as fast or as firm as I would prefer, to better control fast undulating road services, such as whoop-de-doo or roller coaster roads, as some people call them.

I had this same experience with the Bilstein B6's on my 1983 5-series BMW. I sent the BMW's shocks to Bilstein to have them revalved for improved rebound control, which brought them fully up to my liking. However, since this type of driving is now only 5% of my vehicle use, if even that, it will certainly be fine with this 2015 VW Golf TDI.

I am no longer involved in competitive racing or track events, but do want improved handling in our daily drivers. So I've long since given up involving after market springs and other brands of shocks, on our cars now primarily used for travel and some spirited driving, not competition. Bilstein products deliver what I am looking for and with their exceptional longevity in my experience, for over 40 years of using their products.

I'd only add that when we sell one of our cars, the new owner ALWAYS comments on how well the car rides and handles! That pretty much says it all, as far as I am concerned.

-Rod

FiveLugNut

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S
B 6

Rod,

I had a problem with the rear shocks on my 2015 GSW TDI S.
The rear Bilstein B6 shock rubber bushing came out of the shock and made the bottom of the shock move sideways causing a noise.

Could have they been installed incorrectly or missing a bracket?.

Thanks
rich

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
A quick note about todays Bilstein B6 road tests -
March 12, 2015

The new Bilstein B6 shocks are finally on my 2015 VW Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed and it handles great. Just as I anticipated it would and just as our two VW Golf Mk4's have after they were also fitted with Bilstein B6 shocks, years ago.

While the Mk7 VW Golf chassis is a big improvement over the Mk4, the new Mk7 can still benefit from the Bilstein B6's. I say this having driven the Mk7 over 3,000 miles before installing the new Bilstein B6's, earlier this week.

The Bilstein's are certainly worth the cost and their contribution to the VW stock springs control, are always the best that I've experienced, compared to other shock absorber brands I've used with stock springs. I've installed Bilstein B6 shocks on no less than a dozen of our own cars over the years, plus quite a few on friends automobiles and they've always proven to be the best in terms of working with the stock springs, especially on German cars, such as our own BMW and VW cars, for the past 30 years.

The only thing I wish was better on these current Bilstein's on our new 2015 VW Golf, is that the rebound control is not as fast or as firm as I would prefer, to better control fast undulating road services, such as whoop-de-doo or roller coaster roads, as some people call them.

I had this same experience with the Bilstein B6's on my 1983 5-series BMW. I sent the BMW's shocks to Bilstein to have them revalved for improved rebound control, which brought them fully up to my liking. However, since this type of driving is now only 5% of my vehicle use, if even that, it will certainly be fine with this 2015 VW Golf TDI.

I am no longer involved in competitive racing or track events, but do want improved handling in our daily drivers. So I've long since given up involving after market springs and other brands of shocks, on our cars now primarily used for travel and some spirited driving, not competition. Bilstein products deliver what I am looking for and with their exceptional longevity in my experience, for over 40 years of using their products.

I'd only add that when we sell one of our cars, the new owner ALWAYS comments on how well the car rides and handles! That pretty much says it all, as far as I am concerned.

-Rod
How are the shocks holding up 3yr later and are you still on your OEM springs? We still don't have a good selection of options and I just raised my car back up for the winter. I won't be lowering again until I get a set of the MSS springs for the TDI. At some point, I'll want to do struts/shocks and wondering if the B6 are still the way to go. The Koni reactive struts sound interesting but of course, nothing for our applications yet.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Rod,
I had a problem with the rear shocks on my 2015 GSW TDI S.
The rear Bilstein B6 shock rubber bushing came out of the shock and made the bottom of the shock move sideways causing a noise.
Could have they been installed incorrectly or missing a bracket?.
Thanks
rich

I can't imagine installation would matter, are the bushings angled at all?

Best of luck getting a replacement, i've heard bilstein did some crazy factory move and pretty much everything was back ordered and has been for almost a year. Not sure if they are back up and supplying orders these days.

BTW FWD GSW TDI and TSI and FWD Golfs TDI and TSI as well as 4mo GSW all have 50mm front knuckles.

The Alltrack, GTI and R have 55mm knuckles.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
I can't imagine installation would matter, are the bushings angled at all?
Best of luck getting a replacement, i've heard bilstein did some crazy factory move and pretty much everything was back ordered and has been for almost a year. Not sure if they are back up and supplying orders these days.
BTW FWD GSW TDI and TSI and FWD Golfs TDI and TSI as well as 4mo GSW all have 50mm front knuckles.
The Alltrack, GTI and R have 55mm knuckles.
Nope not yet. I tried to order a set for my TDI and Tirerack showed the rear shocks on back order. I called to find out if they could get them for me? The guy I spoke with said he placed an order for his personal car and waited months and finally gave up and went with another brand. For kicks he said let me check to see if they ever came in and a year later still showed back ordered.

I called Bilsteins USA and I gave them the part number for the rear shocks and was told on back order she said they should see them by March 8

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Try Shock Warehouse..............
Thanks... I was checking out Rock auto and clicked on the info tab and found out B6 Performance is only to be used on stock springs. I'm glad I found out now before I placed my order. I'm also adding H&R lowering springs and need to order B8 Performance Plus. They show they have them in stock at a good price. I also had a 5% discount code. I sent off an email to see if they are available now before I place my order.

Last edited:

Ummyeabro

TDI
Mk7
B8 performance plus rear shocks are in stock at rock auto. Ordered yesterday and they are shipped and on the way.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
B8 performance plus rear shocks are in stock at rock auto. Ordered yesterday and they are shipped and on the way.
Thanks for the update. I plan to order my set this evening along with Sachs front mounts and bearings. The rear mounts are out of stock from rock auto. They do seem to have the best price. I also have a 5% discount code, every little bit helps :D

Ummyeabro

TDI
Mk7
Just found a pair of rear shock mounts for 16.95 a piece. Febi brand. I’m new to the forum so I’m not sure if I can post a link. Looks like it’s from a forum vendor.

BMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Touareg TDI
Did you receive yours? I placed an order mid week, showed shipped the next day. Funny thing is, it shipped 45 minutes from me. It was scheduled for delivery today but still shows label created but no movement like my other order I placed the same time for another item. I'm guessing the rear shocks are still out of stock.