Tire warranty on the stock Conti's?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Dad's '06 just rolled 52,000kms and one of the tires has a massive blister.

I would think these have atleast a 60K warranty on them, does anyone know for sure?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
LNXGUY said:

I would think these have atleast a 60K warranty on them, does anyone know for sure?
I do not know for sure, but a call first to the local VW customer service number, then VW dealer, next a call to the tire vendor you would like to deal with, will get you the real answer.

What I do know for sure is: I have heard mixed messages. One is as high as; only guaranteed to 1 year/12,000 miles new customer satisfaction warranty, to oem tires provided new do not have the same guarantees as (oem) tires bought and put on by vendors, if they have a mileage guarantee at all.

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
Tires might have a tread life rating on them, but good luck getting them to replace it after 52k. I'm afraid you are out of luck.

My experience anyway.

tttthumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Sounds like a defective tire, they should replace it.

My GMC Jimmy, after new tires, I drove probably 1 year (approx 35k), and felt a vibration.. to make the story short, finally took it to the dealership to find out the steel belt inside the tire broke.

Went back to my tire guy, and he replaced it without any problem.

CountryGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2008 E320 Bluetec
Bill,

I am pretty sure you'll have to source the tire yourself. When I had the similar situation, I just used the spare tire and put got some used crappy tire on the spare rim.

Cheers, Mikhail

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
i think VW would send you to Conti and tell you to deal with it yourself. I had to go thru that with Ford and Goodyear. They told me since the tire was not made by Ford, i had to go thru Goodyear.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Bill, if Conti is anything like Michelin, you've got a huge uphill battle. I have all 4 Michelins on the Passat go bad after 30,000. Belts separated. Michelin would not even reply phone calls or email.
Good luck Mang

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
52,000km's and 52,000 miles are quite a bit different :)

I'll give the dealer a ring for ****s and giggles.. I am sure they'll tell me to pound sand, but it's worth a shot..

Thanks guys!

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
the only tire warranty I've heard of other than Nokian is from a Goodyear dealer. A friend got a tire warranty (pro-rated based on usage) last year. But they got nailed for the tires when they bought them

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
LNXGUY said:

I'll give the dealer a ring for ****s and giggles.. I am sure they'll tell me to pound sand, but it's worth a shot..

Thanks guys!
Yes they are quite a bit different! :eek:

Ringing up the dealer cannot hurt. Good luck!

Bill

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Would this fall under road hazard? Unless the tires are bald, there will be road hazard warranty so you should get some pro rated compensation for it.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
OhMagoo said:
Bill, if Conti is anything like Michelin, you've got a huge uphill battle. I have all 4 Michelins on the Passat go bad after 30,000. Belts separated. Michelin would not even reply phone calls or email.
Good luck Mang
How old were the tires (manufacturing date)?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
LNXGUY said:

Thanks guys!
Let us know what you find out !!

I got NADA on an oem battery failing @ the 33 mo mark. The nexus being our VW's have a 4 year/50,000 miles warranty. So I asked them if I get NADA from an oem battery that only YOU carry anyway, why should I buy the same OEM "warranteed" battery from you. I can buy say an Interstate 94R and they actually do honor their stated warranty. Their response was: the battery is sold over the counter (OTC) with a warranty!!!!! So I asked well, what does that really mean in practice? Their further response was: full replacement for manufacturers' defect out to a date certain and prorated after. So at this point, I don't know really if that is the good news or the bad news and/or both.

I think the issue has (always) been: buyer beware, unless you ask/know specific vendor/s who will honor specific brand's warranties.

So for example, you buy a brand of tires from Costco, i.e., Michelin, who specifically will honor the brand THEY sell. I highly doubt they will honor a brand they carry, which you bought from some other vendor.

Another would be an advertised brand tire vendor, who MIGHT give you a prorate for that manufacturer's tire. However it is commonly known they will probably cost more anyway.

Last edited:

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
LNXGUY said:

FYI, a blister on the sidewall area is like a bruise on your arm - it is impact damage. Not defect. Usually, you can see the rub mark on the sidewall or curbage on the rim or hubcap if you look closely. That being said, I don't have much experience dealing with Continental on a corporate level - with most other manufacturers (ie Michelin, BFG, Goodyear, Yokohama, etc), if you take the time and effort to call their consumer relations number and state your case, they will usually refer you to an authorized retailer and you will get a pro-rated warranty adjustment on a replacement.