My pair of 2010 JSW at 10,000 miles.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
These cars don't get the same mileage. I have been tracking the pair of them and have had the two employees swap them week in and week out for over 4000 miles and the cars don't get the same mileage. They are almost sequential twins as for production dates and VIN.

3 mpg difference.

Thoughts?

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
3mpg is a lot. Have you ever checked for rear wheel drag?

Other than that the DSG (if so equipped) may be programmed slightly differently.

That's all I got.

P.

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
Paul, both are 6 spd manuals. I have had both on lifts and didn't notice any noticeable difference in rear wheel drag through a possible sticky park brake.

They have the same Continental tires on them. Same wheels.

I'm gonna see if they size up to one another now with the oil and filters being just changed.

Next step is doing some VCDS logs.

Pretty strange.:confused:

Could be a tire I guess. Maybe I'll swap them all, car to car.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Same fuel in both? I don't think the fuel can make that big of a difference, but it could be a contributing factor.

I think second would be driving style. Do your employees drive both cars to the same locations in the same manner all the time?

And lastly, I know you said you didn't notice any detectable wheel drag between the two, but it could still be a factor. When sitting in my car and lightly pulling on the brake, I can feel the tension in the handle before the "Brake" light comes on. Is it the same way in either of your cars?

OldManWinter

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Wagon 2010
Are the cars the same colour? Maybe one is driven slightly more agressive than the other because it looks more agressive. 3mpg doesn't seem like much to me when you're talking about 40+mpg already.

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
I would check the alignment, check the camber, castor and toe of the front and rear of each and post up what you find.

My guess is that you have too much toe on the car with the poor fuel economy.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Is it possible to get something as complex as an ECU to function without any variability between units? When you factor in all the other systems its linked to throughout the car, it's not surprising, to me, at least, that one car could vary from the next, all other things being equal.

koharatx

TDI
Golf TDI
If you have that much variability in electronics, then manufacturing tolerances are horrible. With everything digital nowadays, and processors running at many megahertz, there is no reason for anything more than a few milliseconds' difference.

Piezo injectors are a different story. I believe they are still relatively new technology. On the other hand, they are supposed to be fast enough to pulse up to five times per duty cycle, so I wouldn't think they would have much variation between one unit and the next. Generally, any type of precision equipment is manufactured using very close tolerances.

I would go with the alignment idea posted above. Beside affecting fuel economy, tire wear is also greatly affected due to toe settings.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Maybe, and Maybe Not

I would check the alignment, check the camber, castor and toe
of the front and rear of each and post up what you find.
My guess is that you have too much toe on the car with the poor fuel economy.
:)

It would seem to me that IF the toe was so far off to cause such a difference in F E,
there would be signs of the vehicle not being properly alighed, i e cupping.

I don't know if caster and camber would have that much affect, would they? :confused:

I wonder, are the brands of tires on both your JSWs the same? :confused:
The JSWs came with at least four different brands.

Three miles per gallon difference is 7.5 percent which does seem like a lot. :(

:D

D

Rod Bearing

Veteran Member
TDI
Several
The cars have the same size rims and brand of tires.

I figure cost per mile and when I see discrepancies developing, I look further. In the case of these two cars, once the differences started to show up, I tested over a 4000 mile span very aggressively by swapping the two employees back and forth between the cars multiple times to see where and under what conditions there might be something different. Tire pressures were meticulously maintained as were both cars systems to match them as close as I could.

It's not weather, they are both driven in the same city all the time.

Swapping cars ruled out driving habits or route differences.

Same fuel was and still is used in both cars.

All my fuel calculations are done by my fleet manager with software on a computer..

gumaku1

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI - DSG
In my experience toe difference would be even excessive tire wear, not cupping. Cupping is ususally from camber + toe, but it truely depends on the suspension geometry. The Jetta has a very good "conventional" suspension, so I suspect you would just have excessive even tire wear.

I would still like to see the alignment numbers comparing both vehicles side by side.

Also what you can do is measure the tread depth of each tire on each vehicle and compare.

At 4000 miles tire wear might be a very small difference, but it will be somthing to see, you will need to be extremely accurate in your measurement though (since you are only at 4000 miles)

The difference I am talking about will be at 20,000 miles one vehicle will have almost no tread and the other will be ~50% worn.

It would seem to me that IF the toe was so far off to cause such a difference in F E,
there would be signs of the vehicle not being properly alighed, i e cupping.

I don't know if caster and camber would have that much affect, would they? :confused:

I wonder, are the brands of tires on both your JSWs the same? :confused:
The JSWs came with at least four different brands.

Three miles per gallon difference is 7.5 percent which does seem like a lot. :(

D

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It has to be alighment

The cars have the same size rims and brand of tires.
I figure cost per mile and when I see discrepancies developing, I look further. In the case of these two cars, once the differences started to show up, I tested over a 4000 mile
span very aggressively by swapping the two employees back and forth between the cars
multiple times to see where and under what conditions there might be something different.
Tire pressures were meticulously maintained as were both cars systems to match them
as close as I could. It's not weather, they are both driven in the same city all the time.
Swapping cars ruled out driving habits or route differences.
Same fuel was and still is used in both cars.
All my fuel calculations are done by my fleet manager with software on a computer.

If all else is the same as you say, tire brands, wheel sizes, etc, what else can it be?
Maybe you have a dragging brake from the parking brake cable being too tight, but I doubt that.
I think you said that you had checked that.:confused:

For your F E to be different by as much as 7.5 percent, there has to be a reason.

Do you have a good alighment person to go to in your area? :confused:

Too bad you are not here in Southern California as I know the perfect fellow to send you to!
He did mine, and found that both ends needed more toe-in, so it
now handles as I figured it should right fron the factory.

BTW, an alighment is no better than the tech doing the work.
It matters not what equipment he is using if he does not know what he is doing.
My man does and his forty years experience really shows in his work.

D

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
17 inch wheels?

They have the same Continental tires on them. Same wheels.

Next step is doing some VCDS logs.

Could be a tire I guess. Maybe I'll swap them all, car to car.

I do not believe that Continentals came on the 16 inch wheels.

It will be interesting when you do some VCDS logs.

Also, if it is not alighment, perhaps your idea of swapping wheels
and tires combinations JSW to JSW will cause the F E to shift? :confused:

Please keep us posted as to what you discover. This is interesting, at least to me.

D

Last edited:

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
Pretty cool business vehicle. What business?

Maybe trade in the pig! These cars seem to have prettysolid resale.

Service issues yet? if you keep, will be interesting to track that.

rootbeerinacan

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 4-door hatchback 6-speed standard - 2009 Jetta TDI, wagon 6-speed DSG - 2000 Golf TDI, 4-door hatchback 5-speed standard (sold)
I would write it off as driving style or route.

Have the employees swap cars and see what happens.

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
Were there too many expenses with keeping up the MBZ, or did you simply want a wagan? :confused:
D
Yep, and image inappropriate for my business. Beautiful car capable of crazy good mileage, but it was an indulgence that cost me in too many subtle ways. And you know what, the jsw keeps growing on me. Nice having a car the bike fits in without removing the wheels.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They Do Indeed

. . . you know what, the jsw keeps growing on me.
Nice having a car the bike fits in without removing the wheels.

Wait until next summer when you can get regular summer fuel and it will have more miles on it.
Watch how your F E will improve. That'll make the ol' Benz seems like a 'diesel' hog! :p

D