Definitive Battery Thread???

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and 2015 GSW MT
My battery is going south (car is three years old so that is pretty much about average for the OEM battery) . I did a search-and there is quite a bit of information here but it is spread out in many threads. (DBW also made an excellent "how-to" on charging/maintaining the battery). I'd like to find out WHAT batteries are available that FIT WITHOUT MODIFICATION-and meet specs of 640-650 CCA or above. I'd like to know approximate cost, is it "maintenance free" or not and where is it available (chain stores like Sam's Club, Walmart, AutoZone, whatever). I'd kinda like to NOT have a maintenance free battery because I LIKE to be able to add distilled, charge them up-and test them-but does that really matter??? I know people RAVE about the Optima-and I'm sure that they are good batteries but to me they are OVERPRICED.

If such a thread already exists-and somebody could point me to it I'd appreciate it-but if not please add to this thread at least the following: what battery, what is the CCA etc, where did you get it, approximate price, and whether its maintenance free or not, and what is the "warranty" (24 months,60, 72 etc.). Also if you had to do some sort of modification to get it to fit-note that as well. It seems that the most common ones brought up in my search here were the Interstate MT-41 and the Exide 78DT72 as well as the Optima. Thanks.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
I know liv4speed (ryan M) here in michigan bought the largest Energizer battery that pretty much fit right in. 1000CCA? or something.

Autozone carries them.

I'm still on the original battery. It hasn't died yet. I did loose a pulley on the alternator but the battery is working okay it seems. But that could be the 1 hour of charging on average after each start that it gets.

LIVE4SPD

Veteran Member
TDI
used to have a 99 TDI Jetta
Yea I bought a 49L Energizer from Murray's Autoparts for $85. I believe it cranks 950CCA's. The battery box will not fit around it but the top will so it looks clean. It would be impossible to fit anything bigger under the hood.

It mounts in the stock location, albeitly tightly, and uses the same fastener at the base.

dieselUFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I still have the OEM battery with 52k on my Golf.
OEM is Group 94R.
The following have been recommended by various members-

Interstate MT-41 650CCA
Exide 78 DT72
Optima Orange Top -found at Autozone, Advance Auto

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up going with the Exide 78DT72 (TSC's brand called Traveller-but is really the Exide). 63 bucks-800 CCA-and the height and width about the same as OEM-it is less in length than OEM-so bottom line it fits with room to spare. Price was good and 72 month prorated warranty. I personally can't see spending that kind of money for the Optima. To each his own.....

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
michTdi, that's good info. I think I am going to take the same route. My Jetta is coming up on 4 years so I'd probably be thinking about doing this soon and wish to retain the nice factory box/lid set up.

Has anyone ever priced a battery from the dealer?
Just curious...it's probably crazy $$.

Dante Casali

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS silver/black
I would like to install the optima(smaller than TDI battery by about 3 inches in length)in my Golf, but I would install the Gasser battery box(smaller than TDI). I need more space in my engine bay without loosing the stock look. Has anyone done this?

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I just had the OEM battery die in my '98 NB and replaced it last night with the Traveller (Exide) 78DT72, so thanks michTDI! Minimal problems with fit, even in the NB.

michTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah-and I thought the price was fair too. That SAME battery ranged from 63 to 78 bucks-so it pays to make a few calls. Also-I said above that it was 800 CCA-but actually the specs are 850 CCA at 0 degrees. Here are some of the specs:

Part Number: 78DT-72
CCA at 0° F: 850
CA 32°: 1000
RC minutes @ 25 amps: 120
Length(inches): 10-3/16
Width(inches): 6-13/16
Height(inches): 8-1/8

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
I wasn't going to quibble over a few CCAs
This battery also has both top and side mounted terminals and the top mounts are centered in the front to back axis so the cables will reach with a minimal amount of stretching and swearing, unless you drop a mounting bolt onto the bellypan
One last thing, radio went to "safe" mode so is that only resettable with VAG-COM or equivalent?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mark of Diesel said:
One last thing, radio went to "safe" mode so is that only resettable with VAG-COM or equivalent?
No, just go back to your original radio card provided in your car's documents and enter the code listed into the radio.

TDI
Thanks! Shoulda checked the manual, I know, but I'm not near the car just now.

bluechow

TDI
2004 Silver New Beetle
Called the dealer today and checked on the price of a VW battery for a 2000 New Beetle TDI. He quoted me $99.00

gearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
The stock TDI battery has an 80ah which is +30% greater than most replacements. Question, would a battery with a lower ah value affect the durability in our TDI's?

The battery in my 2001 Golf TDI is a Varta# 580 043 064 3100 ( http://www.varta-automotive.com/eng/inde...pplication.html ).

A glossery of terms: http://www.varta-automotive.com/eng/inde...ry.php?letter=a

Amperage Hours explained: http://www.niagara.com/~bman/amphour.html
http://www.tpub.com/neets/book1/chapter2/1f.htm

Batteries Plus carries the Douglas brand battery, an exact replacement 94R6 http://www.batteriesplus.com/aboutus.aspx
http://www.douglasbattery.com/PDFs/Import-Euro.pdf

the stock Varta battery measures as follows:
Length= 12.48"
Width= 6.89"
Heighth= 7.48"

...a thread on Optima Batteries... http://forums.tdiclub.com/showflat.php?C...&PHPSESSID=

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Has anyone used the group size 91 battery? The Interstate chart shows the MTP91 as being pretty darn close to our OEM size. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfman

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335d, Passat 2013 TDI SEL; Former - 1999 Jetta TDI, 1994 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD, 1983 Ford 6.9 IDI, 1986 Chevy 6.2 Diesel Pickup, VW Rabbit Diesel pickup
I'm still on my original and I have a 99.5 Jetta with 45,000 miles. About 6 months ago I was having hard starting and decided to check the electrolyte. It was way below the top of the plates. I topped off with a can of this motorcycle battery electrolyte ($9.50)from Meijer and distilled water. So far, fine since then. Battery passed a free test at "Batteries Plus..."

Dana Hanchett

Veteran Member
TDI
I installed an Interstate MTP-91 in my 98 NB TDI 5sp (144 5k miles)over 31/2 years ago. I have added a little distilled water once a year and it has performed flawlessly. It fit perfectly. Yes, a battery in a NB is a pain in the #$% to change out.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
I took the advice of a fellow club member and went to Batteries Plus and bought my replacement battery. The battery that I bought is a exact replacement for my OEM Varta battery. Douglas makes the battery that I bought and it is the 94R-6 size. It has the white housing just like the OEM, it has the reversed poles and neat little plastic handle on top just like the OEM and it has the little lip on the bottom to place the mounting clamp against to hold it in place.

The battery cost $89.99 with exchange here in Atlanta.

Here are the specs: 12V, 765 CCA, 920 CA, 130 min reserve capacity.

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Thanks Dana, that's what I was looking for... I'm doing my shopping before I need one. I haven't seen a Batteries Plus store in MA or NH. Plenty of National Tire & Batteries stores. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the links. I'll check if they stock that size...

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
Those of you who went ahead and replaced the OEM battery with something else, were you able to keep the battery box and cover intact? I need a battery asap but I would like to keep the stock cover and box for aesthetics. There's an Optima R34-800R Red-Top at the local Costco I'm considering, anyone use it with good results?

L7

TDI
2000 Jetta
I'm going to bump this old thread...
It's that time of year. I'm on a mission now, since my original battery failed to start the old 2000 jetta for the first time last night. ( 5 yrs...not too shabby)
Any new suggestions anyone ?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, don't wait for things like this to fail...take prudent corrective action before it becomes a problem.

The replacement battery is a 94R. The one I purchased has 920cca (32F), 765cca (0F) and a reserve of 130 minutes. From you local Batteries Plus store.

Someone else had mentioned that Autozone also retails a 94R battery.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
2000 NB original battery died...

Interstate MT-41 650CCA is what i purchased last night.
$67.35 plus tax out the door, installed perfectly, I could
have gotten the plastic side cover back on if I wanted to
fiddle with the location of the battery more but its TIGHT
in a NB. I did get the insulating sleeve on it tho.

I noticed the MTP-91 while I was there yesterday and it is
actually about an inch wider than the MT-41 and would not
have fit in the NB without a fight. especially with the
power steering reservoir in the way. (I unbolted it to make
room for the install also)

l_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Wrecked and gone: VW Jetta wagon 2002 silver TDI
AutoZone sells a 94R battery ("DuraLast"), which I used. Napa also lists some "Legend" batteries, not sure whether one of those is 94R. These all list price at 99 USD. (AutoZone didn't charge core and didn't want my old battery but I got a dollar when I brought it to a Kragen store for recycling;) Larry. (2002 Jetta TDI wagon)

Thermo1223

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Jetta 5M-'04 JW A5
How well do our OEM batteries go as far as draining and then recharging.

I left an electric cooler pluged in for about 2 days and it drained my battery completely. This was during the summer, so I got my jump pack and jumped it. Started fine and just ran it around for a while then turned it off. Ya I know I stressed the Alt. out I'm sure but I was just really busy that week and never got around to recharging it with a charger. Does turn a tiny bit slower now that it is below 40F but it started up the car in our recent cold spell with no problem. It was 0F that day for reference...then add the windchill so maybe -10F.

How many discharge cycles will it last. Just one?

I plan on replacing it next winter as it is close to 4 years old.

Thanks

volmaniac

Veteran Member
McFadden's Ford, Stones River NMP M'boro, TN
TDI
02 Golf GLS
bump since i have a one bad cell in my '02 golf oem battery with 60,000 miles (build date 02/02), about 40 month life. good stuff, thanks to the contributors.

fyi our my 2000 passat 4mo variant gasser has the oem battery and it is still at 75% of new at 64 months...