Rear control arm bushing shot after 12k miles??

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
I replaced both front and rear control arm bushings last April at 152,000 miles. The rear bushings were looking a little weathered with some checking cracks, but nothing bad. The rest of the suspension has also recently been replaced with new Monroe SensaTraks, bump stops, strut mounts, VR6 wagon front springs (broke one of the OEM springs - rust), and wheel bearings and LBJ were replaced at 130,000 or so.

Well, I've been noticing some weird handling lately - wandering and crosswind sensitivity - as well as a pull to the left under light braking. I turned the front rotors to eliminate some pulsation not more than 5,000 miles ago, and it did for a while, but now the vibration is back. It felt like something was moving around up front which never is good.

I took advantage of the 33 degree day and pulled the wheels off to have a look. I was NOT happy with what I found. The right front rear bushing is totally trashed and split - I can move the control arm around like the bushing is made out of a DingDong. The left front rear bushing isn't totally gone, but it's close.

I installed them per the Bentley book orientation and didn't spray them with anything that would eat the rubber. I purchased them from IDParts (OEM type bushings - not TT or otherwise).

The part cost is trivial ($8 each) - can't even get a pizza for a pair of them. What irritates me is that these bushings lasted 8 months. The originals lasted over 8 YEARS. Not only is it a pain in the a$$ to replace them, I need to get an alignment afterwords (now I'm wishing I bought the "lifetime" alignment).:mad:

Anyone else have this problem? Who sells a decent bushing? Should I cough up for a actual, real deal VW OEM part from the dealer?

Chris

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
I wonder were the "OEM type" bushings are made. IDparts has great customer service and would not knowingly sell "cheap" parts. Still this is very disturbing. I am planing on the Audi type when i do mine.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
I'm not sure if it's just the pic but the bush looks 90 degrees out, did you point the arrows forward when fitting?

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
I'm not sure if it's just the pic but the bush looks 90 degrees out, did you point the arrows forward when fitting?
I installed the bushing per the diagram in Bentley (or so I thought). However, it is entirely possible that I dorked the orientation anyway - I've been known to check something three times, making a point of a specific detail, and then go right ahead and do it wrong anyway.....:rolleyes::mad:

I'll check my installation against Bentley today and report back, either with news of acquittal or news of defeat.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
I wouldn't be surprised if the aftermarket bushing failed. Vendors don't have any control of the quality of the parts and there is a lot of junk out there.
Pull the arms out and replace them with TT bushings. just hope the subframe hidden nut doesn't come undone. I guess you can reuse the bolts if you replaced them last time or you can replace with some 10.9 metric bolts and nuts

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
My question is did you have the car under load when the bolts were tightened? The bushing orientation looks off to me as well.

gquenstedt

Veteran Member
TDI
'06, '03 x 2, '00
I need to get an alignment afterwords (now I'm wishing I bought the "lifetime" alignment).:mad:

Chris
You could try marking the ball joint to control arm location with a little spray paint. Might save you from having to get another alignment.

I like the TT bushings as they're solid.

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
My question is did you have the car under load when the bolts were tightened? The bushing orientation looks off to me as well.
Yes, final torque was done with load on the suspension.

It also appears that the bushing orientation IS correct per Bentley. The "kidney" shape is to the inside and the solid sections face forward and aft.

So riddle me this, Batman - why did these bushings fail so quickly? Time to pass along this issue to IDParts....

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
It must have been rubbish quality but I've not had any bother myself. A lot of people over here fit what's called cupra bushes which are probably the same as your TT ones. The normal ones seem to fail for a lot of people even when bought from the dealer and I don't know if it's an installation issue or a quality one.

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
Just pulled out my Bentley and cannot find that illustration. My copy shows to align arrow on bushing to index mark on control arm...see page 40-4 appears to be 10 to 15 degrees diff but it is tough for me to see esp installed..IMHO go with solid TT bushing...you will like the tighter steering

Last edited:

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
I used an arbor press and the outside "cup" of a 2-1/2" chassis punch as a pressing arbor as it fit perfectly to the O.D. of the bushing - i.e. pressing only on the metal of the bushing.

I'm guessing that these bushing were either ancient stock or Chinese crap. Chinese rubber is notorious for being total junk.....and to think that big rig passing you at 75mph might be rolling on Chinese tires....

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
With the TT bushings there is even an aftermarket heavy duty version with extra rubber used. The reason why I know is because when doing the bushings on my friend's rallye with TT bushings I had to wait for a replacement bushing because one was regular duty and the other was rated heavy duty and there was a noticable differenance in appearance.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
It might just be me but it looks like the bushing isn't pressed far enough through the control arm. The top metal surface of the bushing should stick 3-4mm above the steel ring welded into the control arm.

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
It might just be me but it looks like the bushing isn't pressed far enough through the control arm. The top metal surface of the bushing should stick 3-4mm above the steel ring welded into the control arm.
Interesting observation, although I'm not sure how that would affect the bushing life. I didn't see a reference to press depth in Bentley, only orientation.

I'll make a point of taking a closer look at the bushing depth when I install the new ones I have on the way. I ordered a set of the TT bushings from IDParts along with a new set of swaybar bushings which are due again and since I'll be in there.....

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I think that the bushing is just about right on depth ircc. Here is a picture of the TT in a corrado control arm:

Last edited:

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Installed my TT bushings yesterday as well as new swaybar bushings (glad I did them, 4 years is all they are good for). The right side bushing (pictured in orig. post) was absolutely trashed. I almost didn't even need to cut out the center - totally separated. Junk. They looked like OEM VW parts - had the P/N on the rubber, etc. But, I don't recall what box they came in or anything else - whatever IDParts had in stock in late March, '10.

Took me just a few hours to do both sides - I've had the front end apart enough times between bearings, brakes, struts, springs, etc. that I suppose practice makes perfect! :rolleyes:

I used a little spray primer to "mark" the position of the LBJ nut plates - it seemed to work quite well in getting them back in position. I'll still get an alignment, but it doesn't seem anything moved much - wheel is still straight and car doesn't pull.

The good news is that 1) all the "funny" handling I was experiencing - wandering, pulling under braking, general feeling of driving a '63 Dodge Dart, etc. has been eliminated. and 2) the brake pulsation/vibration that returned shortly after turning the front rotors has disappeared!

I do need to take a look at the rear discs as I think they are getting due for replacement and inspect the calipers to make sure the pads aren't sticking in the guides again. But at least I solved two issues with one part replacement!

Oh yeah, the TT bushings give a little more precise steering (even on squishy winter tires) and don't seem to increase road vibration or noise. Hopefully they'll last awhile, too! :p