backup cameras?

360gtracer

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Passat SEL, '15 GSW S
Has anyone tried (with success) any of the plethora of available aftermarket backup cameras? Interested in one for the "new to us" '12 Passat, but don't really want to go the dissection route of installing something that looks and functions as a factory installed system...

Thanks.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I picked up one of the ebay ones, plugged right in- got power off the trunk light and reverse light trigger. worked for 1 week now just a black screen

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Its a 12 Passat SEL?

Any Nav system in the NMS, you can buy an OEM camera and harness and install it yourself, after 5 min of coding you're good to go.

We installed a back up camera on our '12 Passat SE with Nav about 6 months after ownership, VW bought it back and whoever picks it up after the fix will be pleasantly surprised!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I bought mine form some huckster on vortex, I think it was $125, the cable was from some other 3rd party vendor for something like $85 or so. ECS should have a kit try shopap as well.

The big cost to me was buying VCDS for the coding but that has been well worth the price as I've used countless times since.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
ok cool, ill try that route- my china made one has a round pin cable and a converter box sticky taped to the trunk lid, looks like a mini 6 way trailer plug