Blinker & Hazard Light Relay Issue, and 250,000 mile maintenance suggestions...

AV8RLEO

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI
Hi All,

Couple questions for those in the know...

So I've spent some time searching through the forums and can't find what I am looking for (or I'm just lousy at searching).

2003 TDi Jetta with 5 speed Manual...

Currently in my Jetta I have a randomly occurring "blinker sound." Now I say blinker sound because the blinker is making the blinking sound at random when I'm driving but none of the inside indicator lights nor outside actual lights are coming on. I've checked both during the day and at night (to make sure it isn't a dim flash) and there are no actual bulbs coming on, just the annoying blinking sound inside the car... When you turn on the turn signal or the Hazard Lights the lights both inside and out (and the sound) work completely normally.

So... Is the relay shot? Is the multi-function switch shot? Is it something else? What do you all think?

2nd question... It's looking like I'll be due for another timing belt project around August of 2015. I did my last one in August of 2011 with 162,700 on it and it looks like I'm going to hit the 90,000 mile mark (on a high mileage kit) about August '15.

The question is what else should I really look at doing as the car will have just over 250,000 miles at that point and I'd like to see it go at least 100,000 more.

I figure Engine Mounts are a must, and I plan on doing the high mileage timing belt kit again but what else? Just did a complete suspension overhaul this past February including new hubs and bearings. I've changed out transmission fluid, did glow plugs and harness at the last timing belt, seams to start fine (little smoky), my oil analysis looks good. I'm tempted to pull the intake, have it thoroughly cleaned and then do the EGR block or Delete...

Any other suggestions? I can't afford to drop thousands but want to keep it running well....

Thanks!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Leave the EGR. LONG warm up will ensue otherwise. Swap injector nozzles, it's the cause of your smoky starts. Change the gear oil every 50K. The ticking is the turn/cruise stalk. Replace it. Airbag and wheel has to come off. Otherwise your right on track with the other work you have done.

RacerTodd

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI
Currently in my Jetta I have a randomly occurring "blinker sound."
The cause is the turn signal stalk. The inside of the stalk contains a dielectric grease on the copper contacts. As you use the turn signals, microscopic particles of copper are worn off the contacts. Over time, the grease gets contaminated with enough copper particles that it conducts electricity. Not enough light any lights, but just enough to cause the blinker (located in the hazard switch) to click.

You can replace it or it is possible to remove the stalk, open it up and clean it. I did the later as it cost me zero dollars. No re-occurrence in 5 years.

This thread shows how to clean the stalk. If you choose to replace the stalk just skip the steps that show how to open it up.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167831

AV8RLEO

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI
The cause is the turn signal stalk. The inside of the stalk contains a dielectric grease on the copper contacts. As you use the turn signals, microscopic particles of copper are worn off the contacts. Over time, the grease gets contaminated with enough copper particles that it conducts electricity. Not enough light any lights, but just enough to cause the blinker (located in the hazard switch) to click.

You can replace it or it is possible to remove the stalk, open it up and clean it. I did the later as it cost me zero dollars. No re-occurrence in 5 years.

This thread shows how to clean the stalk. If you choose to replace the stalk just skip the steps that show how to open it up.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=167831
Thanks Racer!

jasonTDI

TDI
About 70% of the time cleaning it does not work, just so you know.

jasonTDI

TDI
I just hate to do it twice.

RT1

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf 1.9 TDI w/tiptronic 09A
For the clicker:

Before you go too deep try a couple of shots of electrical contact cleaner at the base of the stalk pointed in toward the center. Sometimes it will blow the offending material off the point of contact. Worked for me and its been six years. Not WD-40 or oily solvents. They'll melt the grease and carry it to places you may not want it to go. Contact cleaner is dielectric, evaporates almost immediately and leaves no residue.

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
For the clicker:

Before you go too deep try a couple of shots of electrical contact cleaner at the base of the stalk pointed in toward the center. Sometimes it will blow the offending material off the point of contact. Worked for me and its been six years. Not WD-40 or oily solvents. They'll melt the grease and carry it to places you may not want it to go. Contact cleaner is dielectric, evaporates almost immediately and leaves no residue.
that worked for me.

AV8RLEO

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW Jetta GLS TDI
So a year and three months later I finally got around to during the turn signal stalk cleaning.

It did work but it was a PITA to actually split apart the base of the stalk but it did work.