Can someone checkout a car in Wisonsin?

GIJOE

I am looking to buy a car from Frank Boucher dealership in Racine , Wisconsin. Does anyone have any experience with the dealership or is someone available to check it out? If it checks out I'm thinking of getting it this week.
Thanks, Joe.

gsm2

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, blue
I went there when I was looking for a TDI about a year ago, and didn't care to deal with them. I got the high pressure sale from their "head salesman", then as soon as he figured he had me sold, I was handed off to a junior guy while he pursued another customer. I don't know if this is common procedure at dealerships? but I took my business up to Broadway dealership in Green Bay WI, where I feel I was treated fairly.

GIJOE

Paul, they assure me the car is in great condition, but I just wanted to make sure it's what they claim. It is a silver wagon. According to the salesman it is an automatic. KCTDI, did they tell you it was a 5 speed????

Thanks, Joe.

GIJOE

Thanks for the information, Paul. Autotrader does not specify, so I called the salesman who claims it's an automatic. I'll call him again tomorrow when he gets back to work. I'm finding plenty of manuals but I'm tired of driving a 5 speed and am willing to sacrifice gas mileage for comfort. There aren't alot to be had though!!!!

GIJOE

I have a 2001 sedan right now, but I've always wanted a wagon. I'm really in no big rush, but I know it can take a while to find one so I keep looking.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
Their website (gordie.com)says it's a 5 speed.I emailed them 6/17 about it & they replied after 8P.M.last nite
to say it was sold!Figured you got it.Is your '01 an auto?If not would you email me?
Thanks,Mike

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Former owner of 2001 Golf TDI & 2010 JSW TDI
Are you talking about the silver wagon?

I MIGHT be able to swing by. What do you want to know?
Paul, Does your offer still stand? Could you look at anything a TDI vet might see that a novice TDI buyer (and eager salesperson) might overlook. I'm looking for a manual jetta wagon, and I am thinking about flying out there on Friday to make a purchase. I called today and they said it was still available. The sales guy got on his cell phone and called me so I could do a virtual walk-around. He seemed to look as closely as I would (and he agreed to pay for my return ticket if I am not happy).

GI Joe, I don't mean to try to beat you to a deal, but from the reading of this thread it sounds like you are looking for an automatic. I apologize if I am reading incorrectly.

Thanks,
TRIP

Eager to make a drive from WI to VA.

Paul_L_Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Paul, Does your offer still stand? Could you look at anything a TDI vet might see that a novice TDI buyer (and eager salesperson) might overlook. I'm looking for a manual jetta wagon, and I am thinking about flying out there on Friday to make a purchase. I called today and they said it was still available. The sales guy got on his cell phone and called me so I could do a virtual walk-around. He seemed to look as closely as I would (and he agreed to pay for my return ticket if I am not happy).

Thanks,
TRIP

Eager to make a drive from WI to VA.
TDIclub marks me as a veteran, I wouldn't consider myself that. I've owned a TDI since last August. Since it's only 14 miles from work, I'll go over there at lunch. Who's the salesman you are dealing with so I don't get too many salesmen involved and thinking that there is a huge demand.

The asking price seems a little high, in my opinion. I paid $16,500 from a VW dealer for my 2002 with 9,000 miles on it in August of 2002.

I'll report back after lunch.

GIJOE

This is getting crazy!!! I've been talking to the salesman since last week and as of yesterday he assures me it is an automatic and I am supposed to pick up tomorrow. I guess we'll see. The price is probably high, but in relation to other automatic 2002 wagons, it seems in line. (in todays market). Paul, I'd appreciate if you'd check it out. If it is a manual, I'm not interested.

Thanks, Joe.

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
I've been speaking with a Carl Simms about a silver manual wagon. We had pretty much settled the deal, but last night I too began questioning the lowest price he was able to offer. I'm going to call him this morning and let him know we are getting cold feet. It definitely would be good to have someone look at it before I find myself out there.

Thanks,
TRIP

GIJOE

Mine is also a silver wagon - they claim it's automatic - if it helps the low price I was offered was 14,700. I'm sure we're talking about the same vehicle - sounds like my salesman is smoking crack!!!! Who knows, He is supposed to call me this morning. Like I said, if it's manual I'm not interested and it sounds like you're not interested in an automatic. Hopefully it'll pan out for one of us.

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Right, I need a manual. Well I guess need is a strong word, but I've been driving an automatic(Volvo) for the past year and a half, and I hate when the vehicle tries to predict what I want to do.

Anyway, I had them agree to sell it as a certified pre-owned with the 24k mile warranty @ $15,650. From my experience with other VW dealerships the CPO warranty usually adds about $1200.

TRIP

Paul_L_Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
None
That's getting close to a decent price. I was thinking offering $14K and going no higher than $14.5K. I'll look at it and try to get some pictures as well. What are the odds that they have 2 Silver TDI wagons?

I'll let you know this afternoon.

KCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg
I'm giving up on this one.After they finally emailed to tell me it was sold they called me to try to get a $1000 deposit for it???? I did ask if they had more than one & the salesman said that he "had" 2 automatics just like it,but were gone.Perhaps a bunch of crack!!! Good luck,Mike

Paul_L_Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
None
OK. Just got back. It is definately a 5 speed. They only have one.

Talked to Karlreese Sims. Took some pictures. Drove it. It has heated seats, sun roof, Monsoon sound system, retractable cover over the rear area, grey cloth seats.

The condition. Overall the body is in good shape. A couple scuffs on the hood, none down to bear metal. Tires look brand new. Brake pads look farily new from looking from the outside of the wheels. The battery cover is present as is the belly pan. Both look in good shape.

Drives good. Might need some struts. It does have 60,000 miles on it. Clutch and shifter was very smooth.

Karl kept telling me he had a lot of interest. I told him that it was because Autotrader listed it as automatic.

Basically, my recommendation would be offer $14K and go up to $14.5K. I would go higher if they threw in a warranty of some sort. Make sure it is a VW service contract and not a 3rd party one.

Paul_L_Fisher

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It had a hold sign in the window. I think they got confused amongst all the inquiries. I made sure to tell him that Autotrader shows automatic and their website says manual and that really only 2 people are interested in it but for divergent needs. In other words, if it turned out to be auto, one person interested, if 5 speed still only one, you.

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
So Trip are you going to jump on this or can I take a shot? Let me know if you are going to work with them and I won't muddy the waters by calling them.

mary

SipNFuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Paul, Thank you soooo much for you very detailed report on this vehicle. I really do appreciate it. I think I am going to continue my search for a wagon with a few less miles. So Mary, I think it is all yours.

TRIP

waitin4mine

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GL 5-Speed
Paul,

After all your hard work I ended up getting no response from the dealer.
I have a new Golf GL 5-speed on order here at home since none of the used ones I was working with panned out. Hopefully, the dealership will come thru for me and I will be in my own TDI in a couple of weeks. I decided at the new prices I didn't want to go the extra $$ for the wagon. If would have been nice if the dealership had responded!

Thanks again for all your efforts.

mary