2013 jsw tdi::volant intake

GolfGTD

TDI
2013 GOLF StationWagen TDI
I went through 2 different intake set ups and I think i found my favorite one so far.

Started with Stock Intake.

I deleted the Discharge pipe and replaced it with the Neuspeed one.
Got some noticeble turbo sounds but still too quiet for an entusiast.

AFE Intake:

Great set up, uses the factory box and did increase sound but not enough.
LID ON... sound was muffled but increased.
LID OFF... sound was amazing but it was sucking way too much hot air... no go.

Then came this.
Volant Intake.
Box is sealed to the engine compartment but its open to the headlight thus keeping the heat away and also allowing for open box design so you can enjoy those lovely turbo sounds.

So far i am really impressed with this product. It has fulfilled my enthusiast ear demand for turbo noises. Worth every penny in my book.
Performance wise, i haven't gathered enough data points but prior to the intake install i was getting roughly 10deg higher then ambient intake temps, after driving with it, i am seeing nearly identical ambient/intake part due to the fact that the inlet feeds cold air to the cone straight from the grill without any loops where it can gather some heat.

GolfGTD

TDI
2013 GOLF StationWagen TDI
Its a 2013 140CR CJAA < I think is the engine code.
I want to say that 2010-on all were the same but not 100% sure.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
interesting...i have a APR carbonio one..that i have yet to install.

where did you get it ...and the type of filter you using for it?

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373

Everything you wanted to know about Supposed CAI's. If your CAI has a K&N style oiled filter, it will damage your engine over time.

I would sell the Carbonio and use the money towards a chip tune. A chip tune with the OEM intake would actually give you a decent performance gain.

Last edited:

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
OE intake still looks like the best option to me. It's a CAI from design and the OE paper filters provide sufficient flow and filtration. Plus, air volume doesn't affect diesels quite as much as gassers anyway. If anything, an aftermarket CAI may offer the turbo slightly less resistance if the installed filter flows better than stock, but that's about it. OTOH, if you want something that looks different and perhaps adds a bit of noise, then mission accomplished.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
You did it now, you posted a performance CAI and now everyone will tell you your money was wasted. HOW COULD YOU!?

I like it, looks good :D

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
You did it now, you posted a performance CAI and now everyone will tell you your money was wasted. HOW COULD YOU!?

hit the nail on the head with that...
i have a CAI
im for it, dont listen to the downers

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG

Well, I'd never tell someone (especially someone I don't know) that they wasted their money - their end goal might be completely different than mine. If turbo noise plus a different look is what the OP wanted, then more power to him. I know from experience that my old man thinks the stuff I do to my car is a waste of money, but then again, he's a retiree with a 2011 Mustang GT500 that he uses to go to church with my mom on Sundays. Now that's a waste. He should give the car to me and I'll give him my Golf. ;)

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
Actually, performance wise, I thought it had been established that CAIs do very little for these cars? I can't remember where or when I saw this covered, but I do remember seeing it and it was quite conclusive.

But, as said by others above, if turbo sound is what you're after, I'm sure there's a variety of choices out there. And I don't think it's negative to make either point; we all have our preferences in mods.

I'm still looking for the best place near Austin to get the stage II Malone tune done. If anyone knows where, please enlighten me. San Antonio, maybe?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Maybe a couple of HP at WOT, but who drives around at WOT all day, anyway?

Click the link I posted and get the whole story about CAI's.

With any mod, it's always a good idea to do your homework so that you understand what the mod really does, if it could damage your car and if there are any real benefits or are they just using slick marketing nonsense to take your money.

If I were to spend $300 to $500 on something claiming to be a performance upgrade, I would want it to actually improve performance a decent amount, not to just look pretty, make more noise and possibly damage my engine. (oiled mesh filters)

Last edited:

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
My guess is that most of us diesel drivers drive around WOT all day long.
Not that there is much to be gained by an aftermarket CAI system.
It does look nice, however, I would want something quieter rather than noiser.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Does someone have the link or part number for the Volant intake? My Google skills suck tonight.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My guess is that most of us diesel drivers drive around WOT all day long.
Not that there is much to be gained by an aftermarket CAI system.
It does look nice, however, I would want something quieter rather than noiser.
Well ya. The questionable performance gains from something like a CAI are only available at WOT were airflow might be an issue.

Goes faster compared to sound faster is money well spent in my book.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)

How did you install a Volant intake? Is it the one for GTI? Any issues?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Lolwut?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk
Seeing as the Diesels don't have conventional throttles and control power by varying the fuel injected and basically run lean with the THROTTLE wide open all of the time!
The anti-runaway throttle plates close when the engine is turned off.
WOT all day long every day all the time (except when not running)

Get it?