Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
so i need to get my 40K done
and i just called few dealerships to get pricing:
$326 Santa Monica
$389 Long Beach
$545 Garden Grove !!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

what are you guys paying for 40K services???
any recommendations on who to go to around LongBeach/Santa Monica area and in between ??
thanks

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
ya i think im calling back Santa Monica *(its where i bought my car and had first 3 free services done) seem to offer best deal

but $545 crazy

wrich73

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen w/Premium package (wife's); 2011 6M Golf TDI w/xenon/Dyn/roof/Interlagos/Revo stage 1
Be thankful you don't have a DSG....you would need to add another 450ish to that number :D

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I can't believe the dealers are gouging for 450 per dsg service !!! Iv quoted 2 indy shops both around 250!!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
My dealership charges $389.95 for the 40k and $345 for the DSG..

40k Service includes Air, Fuel, Oil, and Cabin Filters, up to 5 quarts (of the correct 507.00 oil), top off of fluids, comprehensive check of vehicles mechanical and electrical systems

And the DSG service includes a new Filter and seal, and up to 6 quarts of fluid as well as a basic reset of the mech unit.

wrich73

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen w/Premium package (wife's); 2011 6M Golf TDI w/xenon/Dyn/roof/Interlagos/Revo stage 1
DSG service cost me $270 at my dealership in Indy.
Damn, that's a great price--makes me realize its good to shop dealers for buying AND service...

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
Have you called long-time TDI guru White Rose Motors in Whittier? http://www.vwtdionly.com/

Yuri
i have not, recommend?
anyone on here has used him?
i'd be happy to stay away from dealers to save money and still get full of latest technology service *(for this reason i wont go to those local mechanics out of the back of some garage)
but i'd like to hear some feedback on this guy?
thanks

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI

40k Service includes Air, Fuel, Oil, and Cabin Filters, up to 5 quarts (of the correct 507.00 oil), top off of fluids, comprehensive check of vehicles mechanical and electrical systems
so mid $300's sounds legit for 40K.
no DSG for me so thats good
i do know ill be needing rear brakes probably during this service as well. so dealer will bend me over on those as well

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
An excellent question (if I do say so myself) is:

How much would it cost to buy the parts and do it yourself?

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
Parts for a $40k are about $150 if I recall - IDParts has good prices online if prefer not to visit the dealer.

Re: TDI Guru Wild Rose Motors in Whittier - presented here as a long time-time Guru and with a website like http://www.vwtdionly.com/ - I would give the man a call!!!

Fingers154

TDI
2004 Jetta

For Canucks, I bought the air, cabin, oil, and fuel filters along with a jug of proper oil from Roseland Technical Services for about $100 delivered. If it weren't for the aluminum skid plate, I'd have had the whole job done in about half an hour. Of course I don't know what they do for their comprehensive electrical and mechanical inspection, but I suspect it's mostly an excuse to look for something else to soak you for.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI

they whole 40K or just the brakes you mean?
brakes might not be too bad im sure i could do that and i would like to learn.
but oil change along with all other filters /fluids, i never done it, dont really have time or good garage to do it at.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
WRT White Rose Motors:
There are few, if any, people in the U.S. who know more about TDIs than Leonard Harview...

You won't do better!

Yuri
ill be calling him tomorrow *(too late tonight)
to try and go in Thursday or friday before weekend trip.
thanks

Timujin

Veteran Member
TDI
14 T-Reg
I called around too $650ish to $900 for 40k & D$G. I might do it myself including the D$G. There are good sources on the net for step by step instructions.

Riverside VW did my free maint and I had no worries. I visited VW Pasadena and they seem OK.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
The DSG service, along with the rest of the 40k, is ridiculous at any dealer. I think in all, I was quoted almost $1200 from Ontario VW - So I had them order a replacement DSG drain plug for a few bucks, and built my own fill tube - and bought the 40k service kit and some other missing items from idparts.com. Even if I would have taken a day off work with no pay to do the labor, I'd be way ahead over those insane prices...

Lucihula

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Which dealership do you go to? I got my VW at the Santa Ana Auto Mall location. Mines a lease only going to have it for three years 30,000 miles, but my husband is buying his VW Jetta Sportwagen so this would be good to know for future reference.

And the DSG service includes a new Filter and seal, and up to 6 quarts of fluid as well as a basic reset of the mech unit.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I am actually the Parts Manager at Riverside Vw.

However those prices listed are our everyday customer prices.

sgoldste01

Veteran Member
TDI
None; Replaced 2010 Golf TDI with 2012 Subaru Impreza 5-door with manual tranny
they whole 40K or just the brakes you mean?
brakes might not be too bad im sure i could do that and i would like to learn.
but oil change along with all other filters /fluids, i never done it, dont really have time or good garage to do it at.
You're willing to learn to do a brake job, but you won't learn to do a fluid change? :confused:

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
so i need to get my 40K done
and i just called few dealerships to get pricing:
$326 Santa Monica
$389 Long Beach
$545 Garden Grove !!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

what are you guys paying for 40K services???
any recommendations on who to go to around LongBeach/Santa Monica area and in between ?
thanks
That's pretty good, would be a lot more with DSG. Look at manuals, all the stuff they do. A lot of it is inspections. The question is if they really do you all at stuff. German cars are always more expensive. You may try an independent auto shop. Again if you had a Honda , there'd be a lot more independent shops & competition. Consider doing it yourself.

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I looked up the parts necessary on IDparts.com and without the fancy DSG fill tool its about $260 (pre shipping). With the tool which is a one time fee its $450. I plan to do it myself. If I get confused I can always contact Runonbeer here in Austin, TX. at Myerhoff Autohaus

herbert68

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Jetta TDI Sedan. Both bought back by VW on 12/06/2016
Just had the 30K service done and my dealer quoted $400 + $350 (DSG) for the 40K service. I will definitely get more quotes from independent shops when the time comes.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
That's pretty good, would be a lot more with DSG. Look at manuals, all the stuff they do. A lot of it is inspections. The question is if they really do you all at stuff. German cars are always more expensive. You may try an independent auto shop. Again if you had a Honda , there'd be a lot more independent shops & competition. Consider doing it yourself.
i have no problem paying for the service.
as you see i only put !!!!! next to $545 , which was about $200 higher then the other 2 dealers.
as they manager of Riverside stated above those are everyday prices and im ok with mid $300's, but not with $545 from the 3rd dealer

if everyone was charging $545 because thats what it cost, then i would have no problem with that either,
i just dont like to be ripped of by one dealer when all others charge less.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
You're willing to learn to do a brake job, but you won't learn to do a fluid change? :confused:
i forgot to mention in my original post, that i am leaving for a trip on friday afternoon, and need this done before i go on 1,000 mile trip.
and i work full time job so do not have time to do it myself or wait for the parts.
rear brakes can wait, which is why i can do it later and learn myself.
also when changing filter i would need to prime the pump through VCDS which i dont have ,, right?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
filter kit $65 shipped from ID Parts with two oil filters. Oil 5L @ $5/L(pepboys sale), so I'm only down $105 for my upcoming 60K service. Ouch that really hurts!

I have been successful twice with fill canister to prime the fuel filter, i'll roll the dice for the third time.

Last edited: