Pano Roof Woes!

Madorski

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 GSW 6MT
So when the weather warmed up, my sunroof started squeaking a little.

...then it got worse. I noticed the tracks were a little lacking in lubrication.

Then I took it in.

Turns out the rails are biding. They'll be replaced next week.

Anybody have a parts book breakdown of the sunroof assembly?

deserthi

TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6 spd Man
I didn't get a sunroof on my golf. I am wondering if anyone has considered an aftermarket moon roof being installed. Probably one that just pops up and down.

TurboKid

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen 6MT
Check out my post about my 2011 JSW Panoramic issue. I list all of the parts listed that they replaced to fix mine. Didn't get to test it but two times, as the HPFP failed for the second time 2 days after getting my car back...

Let us know if this fixes your pano issue for good.

Madorski

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 GSW 6MT
It was fine.. in the winter. Was fine the few times I had it open in Nevada and California too.

I'd still like to see a breakdown of the actual assembly (I'm a partsman by trade, so diagrams are key!)

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
I had mine replaced around June of last year, and now it's also squeaking when opening and not closing smoothly. It also appears to be heat related. I'll bring it in when we have a string of warm days, as the dealer will need to park it in the sun for a few hours to see the issue.

It's a big job to replace the sunroof, as all the interior trim above the beltline needs to be removed to get at the assembly. If you have it done, check the fit and finish of all interior trim after the work is completed, and make sure there are no nicks or scratches on the roof or rails. Also check the interior lights for proper function.

I'm not looking forward to having this repair done again. It looks like VW still hasn't solved the panoramic roof design or installation issues, as yours is a 2011 model.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
We just got some rain and hail come through our pano roof, but I think its mainly due to me leaving it open...:D

(My entry to the "Most Useless Post" award...)

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Mine's been squeaking a bit as well during tilting operation while opening and closing. I used some silicone lube on it, seems to be a bind, but no leaks or rattles yet.

Jim'stdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Here is a diagram of the parts. It does not show the glass panels, drain hoses, or gaskets. These are on another page.

fatfatty

TDI
2010 JSW
Great info Jim's!

After the winter, my pano has been acting up. Some loud noises when closing the first few times. I wonder if lack of use is part of the problem.
I am also having the issue where the roof won't completely close when hot after sitting in the sun. I have seen this problem from others on this forum and wanted to know if anyone has had this successfully fixed?

Madorski

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 GSW 6MT
That is awesome, Jim! Thank you!

I can totally see how this is such a pain...

The weather has been beautiful lately. I'm sure my roof will be repaired and ready to open just in time for winter!

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
Can I raise this thread from the dead for a minute?

It rained a lot here a month ago and while taking a turn a stream of water leaked out of the light switch in the roof control panel. Not good! Anyway, a few weeks later I notice all functions of my pano roof switch are dead: No translation, no tilt, no curtain. I check all the fuses and none are blown. I replace the switch with no improvement. Then I stumble on this thread with that part diagram and I'm wondering if the reason why the curtain doesn't work is because its piggy backed off the front motor and the front motor got fried by the incoming water?

Does this latest theory sound reasonable to you guys?

The dealer is suggesting I replace the motors, frame, and seal to the tune of $2,418!

I found a cheap motor on ebay. Can one of you walk me through how to get at it? I have the entire control panel in the roof removed but there is a plastic crossbar in the way. Do I need to drop the roof liner? What do I unscrew/remove to get the front of the roof liner down in order to swap that motor?

Any good guidance or bentley pics are GREATLY appreciated!!

fastball

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Golf Wagon, DSG, panoramic sunroof, Weathertech mats, Curt hitch
I had the exact same problem a few years ago. The pano roof started making noise, and they determined it was binding. That set off a series of repairs and replacements that has been going on for two years now. The front glass panel has been rattling against the frame - and no amount of adjustment, tinkering, lubrication and replacement has been able to properly silence the issue. Finally, in an act of desperation, the dealer reverted to low-tech...and basically put a piece of tape on the glass edge and another piece of tape on the frame edge. I can still hear the panel moving and shifting...but the actual rattling noise has been muffled a bit by the tape.
Good luck, though.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah - this may be the final straw and the ultimate end of a 20yr relationship between myself and VW. Hello Honda. Hello Toyota.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
I would escalate this to VWOA if you have not done so already.

My pano leaked last summer and the sunshade has been replaced three times, all on their dime except my 50 & 100 CPO deducible. I'm willing to put up with it as I want the extra light (and now have the extra insurance), but in your case, VW should cover this since the leaks are a known issue.

Don't go Honda unless you pony up for a new NSX. :)

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sun shade replaced 3 times?! As a design engineer, I'm stunned VW let this go AND for so many years (2009-2014... I can only assume they fixed it for the new one but who knows).

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Sun shade replaced 3 times?! As a design engineer, I'm stunned VW let this go AND for so many years (2009-2014... I can only assume they fixed it for the new one but who knows).
You don't know VW! They can look at fixing a problem for years.
They may make some changes, but probably on the wrong things.
Design is one thing, development of the project is another.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI

Got the motor out by drilling a strategic hole though the plastic cross member below it so I could access the last torx bolt with my driver.

As I suspected, water damage inside the motor. Tested power and ground to the wiring harness: Good. Tested power at the circuit board leads to the motor itself: Dead.

WD40'd the **** out of everything and found the motor shaft and gears to spin nicely. This turns a worm gear in the cieling. Like most worm gear applications its geared WAY down. One turn does not translate very far on the roof, however I think this image below just about seals the deal for me.

Roofs runs well, mechanically. Time to buy the motor off German ebay ($36 vs. $399 new from VW) and solve the leak. My guess/hope is the drains are clogged. Unfortunately I don't have any trimmer line laying around, nor does my neighbor.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Can someone tell me where the pano roof drains are supposed to terminate?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I cleaned them the best I could from the top with weed trimmer line but was really nervous to dump a cup of water in to test as the line kept coming back up from the passenger drain with muddy sediment on it.

Anyway, both front drains are working and I think I see where they terminate by the fire wall. Not quite sure how difficult it is to get at them from under the hood to make sure they are clear towards the bottom. Was thinking about trying a long/bent coat hanger but the fact that they are draining properly makes me think I'm done with that portion of troubleshooting.

I ordered a used motor off German ebay for $36 + $44 shipping to US (Dealer wanted $399 for a new one). I have my fingers crossed that it's a bad motor board from when it was [obviously] covered in water.

If anyone has some quick guidance on how to clean the drains from the bottom of the car I would still appreciate it.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Every manufacturer with panoramic roofs (rooves?) has had class-action lawsuits :cool:?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
+1 on the: What Grease and Where (if no one responds I'll just ask the local dealer next time I talk to them).