2004 Golf hard starting

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
I have a 2004 Golf with ~15k miles. The ECU reflash was done last fall and at the same time the ground wire(s) were updated. The fuel pupm is not within the recall numbers and does not appear to be leaking.
I have a euroswitch and ecode headlights installed, although the fogs have not been wired yet.
There is about 1/2 tank of fuel from the same station I usually use and has Power Service added.
The engine has never failed to start on the first try until yesterday morning. It would not fire on the first attempt. On the second attempt I cranked for 10-15 seconds and the oil indicator began flashing. On the third attempt after about 10 seconds of cranking I gave it a little accelerator and it slowly began to fire. On each try I wated for the glow plug lamp to go out. It started fine the rest of the day. The problem repeated this morning.
The temp is about 45 F and it has been raining for the last 4 days.
Anyone have any ideas?
I am concerned as I have to drive to Maryland tomorrow and do not want to get srtanded.

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
I just took a close look at the LUK fuel pump and although there are no obvious signs of leakage on the pump, there appears to be a small amount of liquid puddled on top of the transmission case below and slightly behind the pump.

Are there any reports that this problem leads to catastrophic failure of the pump, or is it a slow leak progression that produces a fire hazzard?

jddaigle

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI Anymore
I just took a close look at the LUK fuel pump and although there are no obvious signs of leakage on the pump, there appears to be a small amount of liquid puddled on top of the transmission case below and slightly behind the pump.

Are there any reports that this problem leads to catastrophic failure of the pump, or is it a slow leak progression that produces a fire hazzard?
There you go--I'll bet it's the pump. The pump can leak slowly or it can blow out without any warning. I'd take it to the dealer ASAP to get it replaced.

rfriend

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2004 Silver
Well I guess I have to give kudos to Fiore VW for their handling of this.
I stopped in without an appointment and while I was explaining the situation to the service advisor, he commented on the diesel smell. He said he would have the tech look at it right away, and after a 10 min wait he told me they were replacing the pump right then and it would be about 40 min or so. Took about an hour but I drove out with a Bosch pump. Cant ask for much better service than that.