Timing Question - Switching from Winters to All Seasons

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Hi All:

I'm currently running my General Altimax Arctic winter tires on a dedicated set of wheels and planning to switch over to my all seasons on a set of dedicated wheels. The all seasons are my stock contis and have about 4/32 tread left. I'm hesitant to drive on the all seasons with such minimal tread so I'm planning on replacing them before making the switch over. The timing questions comes down to this - I have about 3k miles to go till my 70k mile service and would prefer to wait to get the new tires till then so I can get everything done at once. Is there any concern over excessive tread wear on my winter tires waiting another 3k miles to switch over? I drive about 1,500+ a month so it might not be till end of april or early may before that lines up. Or should I just get it done now and save my winter tires from excessive wear. There is a $$ aspect to this but if it would be better to get now then I will.

dadster

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen
Sounds like a plan as long as you are sure it has stopped snowing! Personally I would wait until mid-April to switch. Driving the snow tires on bare pavement for 3K miles won't put a lot of wear on them as long as they are properly inflated and you keep the speeds/cornering to reasonable levels.

My 2 cents...

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Pretty much what dadster said...

You guys up in Boston may still see temps below 50F for the next month or so at times anyway. Winter tires really show a significant advantage at temps below 45F when comparing them to all season or summer tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7vlQIBXpEE

Last edited:

Cooper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW (traded in 5/2015)
I'm in MA, too. Checked the 10-day forecast at Weather Underground. I'd do it anytime I wanted up here around now.

You're going from winter to A/S tires, not summer tires, so you have a lot more freedom on when you want to do it.

The A/S tires should be fine for any unexpected snow we may still get that's not forecast. I never bought winter tires when I lived in NJ and the town there only averaged 27 inches of snow annually.

I'll switch over my wife's Escape from Blizzaks to the stock A/S Michelins the next warm day that I'm free.

I may run the winter tires on my JSW longer since they are old (bought them for my old Audi) and tread is getting low. May just run them until they are done and get new winter tires in the fall if I still have the car.