Panoramic Sunroof stuck tilted open

monkfarm

TDI
06 bug TDI, 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI bought back, 2017 Subaru XT; 2015 F150 Lariat with ecoboost 3.5, 99 Dodge Cummins 1 ton flatbed
On my 2012 Sportwagon TDI, @61,000 miles, the sunroof mechanism started creaking. I sprayed silicon foam spray, plus penetrating oil on the side mechanism arms, but one time, it stuck open tilted. It is completely stuck. Took it to the dealer (no purchased additional warranty) and they said the sunroof frame was broken, $2050 repair. (I think they just took the worst case scenario, but I have no doubt that they would charge me that no matter what.) You cannot really see in there to find out the details of the repair. One side looks like it is tilted all the way open, and the other side is almost closed. This is winter time in Wisconsin. Fortunately I have a couple of other vehicles, including a 06 bug diesel, to run when it is snowing or raining.
The roof liner needs to come down, I know that, but would ya'll bring it to a body shop? or just pay the dealer the 2k to fix it? I am 75 miles from the Minneapolis, St. Paul area, near Red Wing, MN. Pepin, Stockholm area specifically. I would appreciate educated or experienced replies to this problem.
Eau Claire VW just wants to charge me for another diagnostic, when you can't see anything anyway, and has had a change of personnel and don't trust them anymore. I was thinking of Burnsville, or a good body shop. Some body shops don't want to work on sunroofs. I just would like to fix this, and I have heard of this problem before. I live on a gravel road, so I imagine too much dust, or tree leaves got in there.
Thanks!:)

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
Hyundai had to do a recall on panoramic roofs due to glass defects lead to safety concerns. Not sure I can see a safety issue here but possible worth filing a report with NHTSA.

Removing a headliner isn't hard. at least get that done to improve access to the mechanical bits of the mechanism. Then you'll know what needs fixing.

monkfarm

TDI
06 bug TDI, 2012 Jetta Sportwagon TDI bought back, 2017 Subaru XT; 2015 F150 Lariat with ecoboost 3.5, 99 Dodge Cummins 1 ton flatbed
Thank you, guys, appreciate your replies! I think it's going to the body shop, I just got a tip on a good one in the area today! Thanks!

rob c

TDI
2011 sportwagen dsg
had exactly the same issue...

As much my fault as VW. Tried to open the roof when it was iced over.
Happend at about 90,000 miles.
Bent the frame, one side closed, the other did not.
$1700 later. Dealer had never done it before. Had a loaner for at least a couple weeks. Dealer stayed with it.
All's well that ends well. Lesson learned re trying to open when it is ice closed.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I wonder if a shop that installs after market sunroofs would be skilled in fixing these things. They have to fix their own and that's all they do so it makes some sense that they might have the flexibility to repair rather than just replace.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I usually leave mine closed I did not want one in the first place but it came with the Nav package.
I would have gladly paid to not have it. All it does is heat up the car and provide more places to leak.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I usually leave mine closed I did not want one in the first place but it came with the Nav package.
I would have gladly paid to not have it. All it does is heat up the car and provide more places to leak.
Senor Barron, you can speak for me (on the sunroof)...........

$1700 buys a lot of Crown Royal.

ez

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I had a nice Garmin GPS already so I wasn't willing to pay for a hole in my roof in order to get a built in GPS. $1700 buys a lot of diesel as hard liquor and I don't get along anymore.