Goodbye TDI... and hello S3!!

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
After 4.5 years and 278010km (172747msl) it was time for a change... and today I picked up my brand new S3 after a 4 months wait!!

So I thought I gave a quick recap over some of the issues and wearables..

Car was a 2010 (May) GSW TDI DSG Highline. I changed to Bluetooth myself to 9w7. I also change the interior lighting to LED (from ECS). I was not satisfied with that mod since the Led light was very 'cold' and had a hard contrast.

I did all the necessary services at the correct km's. Including DSG oil changes every 60000km and the Timing Belt at 180000km.

General impression: I loved the car, the low end torque was fantastic. The sound system sucked (no sub) and the seats were too tight for my rear (185cm 100kg)

- Wearables: I went trough 2 sets of all seasons, 2 sets of winter tires, and one set of summer tires

- came stock with some Bridgestones... were so so
- first winter tires (included in the price) were some crap Marrangoni Italian winter tires.
- second all seasons Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread, promised were 130000km had to replace them after 90000km as I started to slide over the front in almost every corner.
- Finally I bought some Continental DW High Performance Summer tires and oh boy... now were taking road holding. No more All Season tires for me.
- the second set of Winter tires were Continental TS 830 and I was very impressed. Never had a real problem on snow or ice.

- I replaced the brakes (pads, rotors, fluids front and back) around 270000km. The fluid for the second time though.
- I got a new battery at 265000km
- I changed the wipers about 4 times
- Front window twice, back window once
- Fuel consumption: Highway Summer: 5.8 l/100km Winter 6.5, City: Summer 6.7 l/100km Winter 8.5!!

Issues:
- I was one of the first drivers with the iced up intercooler in Canada so I got a new one
- the a/c fan was replaced before 80000km (warranty)
- The a/c compressor valve was changed twice before I had to replace the whole compressor around 260000km
- the exhaust valve hat to be changed twice.. around 197000km (just out of the extended warranty!!) and around 270000km
- the EGR Valve (intake side N18) had to be replaced as well last summer 265000km...
- all recalls were performed
- All repairs and services after 180000km were performed by a local TDI Guru from Ottawa (Gord from Advanced Autowerks)
- And yes, after 250000km I had to spend around 3000CAD for all the repairs... Should have sold it before but had no choice at the time.

Why the S3? First of all I cannot afford an 911... and a fully loaded A3 TDI DSG is in Canada 46300CAD... a similarly loaded S3 you can get for 49700CAD... and since my commute went from 340km a day to 12 km a day it was a no brainer...

I would like to say a big thanks to all the members that commented on my questions over the last four years. You guys were a great help! Keep it up!

Cheers from Ottawa
Olivier

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Thanks for the de-briefing! Very helpful to see a wrap-up like that. What do you do for a living, since you're obviously detail-oriented?

@ 157,000 miles (~250,000 km) I've had the exhaust flap extended warranty replacement, a replacement A/C condenser, a replacement intake manifold (P2015 code), 1 timing belt, 1 brake fluid flush, and 2 fender-benders on the left rear (one mine, one not.) Expendables: a few sets of all-season and winter tires, no brakes yet. Thinking about replacing the windshield due to micro-pits. Probably should be thinking about a battery soon, as I hit the 5-year mark.

You've had a few more issues, but still not too bad looking for that many km.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Enjoy the new ride, report back in 6 months with your view of the new ride.

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
Pics or it didn't happen! How are you gonna torture us like that!!??
Sorry... took a while until I figured out how to do this...
The car is just awesome... imagine all the torque the TDI had between 1800 - 3000 rpm but now its from 1800 - 5200 rpm and then some... not to mention double the amount of horsepower...
But mileage... Highway so far 8.2l/100km, City 11l/100km
no regrets...
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/IMG_5323.JPG
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/IMG_5324.JPG
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/IMG_53252.JPG

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Nice ride but I can't for the life of me figure out why the new A3/S3 cannot be had with a proper manual gearbox on these shores...
My wife read a book on willpower recently and it cited a study BMW did.
They found that removing 'hard' choices, like drive-train & transmission, from the buying process, and favoring 'easy' choices like options packages, made for a 'better' buying process.

So, removing the fundamental choices that matter to people like us is good for the sales process. How sad & utterly lame that it's not about giving the consumer what they actually want, but what's easier for the sales department. :mad:

VW's current AWD + proper manual/3 pedal offering ($36k+ Golf R or nothing) drove me into the arms of my Audi dealer for a certified 2012 A5, 6-speed, 3-pedal to replace my MK6 Golf TDI.