Cheap OEM parts from trusted source?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I need a new rear view mirror for my son's 2010 Jetta 2.5L gasser, VW part number 3C0857511J9B9. The VW dealer wanted $210. ECS has it for $122. I like ECS very much and that's not really a bad price compared to the dealer, but wondered if you guys have a better idea.

I looked at the vortex website and tried one of the vendors with a discount, but it wasn't really better than ECS. Like I said, I like ECS and trust them.

By the way, the reason I need a new rear view mirror is because I accidentally ripped the thing off the mount when I was cleaning the car. I think it's less than perfectly secured and didn't have time to mess with the mounting clip. I was hoping to just get a new retainer clip, but it only comes assembled as the entire mirror. It's for my son away at college, so I'm not willing to risk it coming off. I'm thinking I'll just take a new one the next time I visit and install it myself.

Thanks for the tips!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html

Plug that part # in there and you'll find a $160 list price and a $116+shipping price from Auburn VW in Washington state. It's a dealership with a side business of online retailing. I've used them a few times with no issues, although shipping was maybe a bit leisurely, and if it's not a part they have in stock, there is the usual VW-distributor-to-dealer shipping lag added to that.

Or if you'd prefer to stay local, beat the dealer down on the price to $160 or less, or try another dealer if you have one nearby.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
1stvw is awesome. find a few other items you need or good to have on hand for the near future, and save on shipping and future headaches. you'd be surprised on many OEM parts, 1stvw can be the cheapest option and you get a genuine vw part

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
I have an Oem one that I am not using. PM me if you want to work something out cheaper

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
Check with Andrew Rodriguez at fixmyvw.com. If he doesn't have something listed on his site, shoot him an email with the part number and I guarantee he can find it for you at a great price.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
@ksing44 - why not put in a Gentex mirror? You can easily buy a great used one for 100 on ebay with homelink, temp, and maybe a compass.

easily one of the most useful mods to make.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have an Oem one that I am not using. PM me if you want to work something out cheaper
Thank you Throwback! I'm sure I should consider your used mirror, but somehow I just want a new one to be sure it's really secured with a new clip. I broke the thing, so I think I just want a brand new mirror for my son's car.

@ksing44 - why not put in a Gentex mirror? You can easily buy a great used one for 100 on ebay with homelink, temp, and maybe a compass.

easily one of the most useful mods to make.
Hi Mo! It's for my son's car at college. He doesn't use a garage and wouldn't appreciate any of the added features of a different mirror. I just want it to be very secure so he doesn't end up driving around without a mirror and it ends up being my fault.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Mo! It's for my son's car at college. He doesn't use a garage and wouldn't appreciate any of the added features of a different mirror. I just want it to be very secure so he doesn't end up driving around without a mirror and it ends up being my fault.
Heya Ken! too bad the parts aren't interchangeable. i'd swap yours with your son's! I think i sold my mirror on ebay for $25 bucks. But I understand your concern & meticulousness. Let's get a GTG to happen this Spring!

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Let's get a GTG to happen this Spring!
I need to wash my car first! I don't think I did it at all this winter, too much work and commuting. It will be so nice to get it very clean again!

I'm still thinking about getting those Windesa sunshades. I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I think I'd like them in my car. I know they're nice. I'd also like to try a set of blind spot mirrors. Maybe this spring I'll get a couple of things to have for the GTG!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I'm still thinking about getting those Windesa sunshades. I just can't seem to pull the trigger.
Thanks for reminding me. I had those bookmarked. I like having my windows cracked or down anytime it's above 50 degrees, but my fabric C-pillar trim picks up a lot of dirt and I can't get them fully cleaned. These would be like getting a (removable) tint job, AND they would keep most of the airborne dirt out. At least for the rear doors.

http://www.windesa.com/shop/en/wind...-vw-jetta-sportwagen/160/complete-set-abc-set

Throwback7r

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW
It's alright it is just sitting in the box that my auto dimming mirror came in. 1stvwparts is what i have ordered before.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
Can't say enough good things about the Windesa shades and support staff. My dealer removed the shades and lost one of the clips. Windesa sent out a complete set overnight from Germany gratis.

@Frugality I've described them to others as you did, "removable & cleanable tint screens". I plan to tint my windows this summer, but plan to keep the screens installed. Nothing like driving with the windows down, but keeping the cabin a bit cleaner.