Oil change on 2013 TDI with 5000 miles???

RSTX

Veteran Member
I purchased a new 2013 Golf TDI in late January and now have 2900 miles on it. I did not ask, but assume that the dealership did not change the oil before I purchased it, meaning it's oil is now two years old. I know it has been on their lot since March 2013.

So, should I change the oil at 5k miles or wait until 10k?

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
Wait for 10,000 miles.Even @ 10k OCI intervals, it is WAY conservative.

Last edited:

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Matt Fm >
Oil change interval is 1 year or 10,000 miles.

And with discussions with VW TDi professional/Techs, and considerable reading on the subject, it was made exceptionally clear that VW did not mean change at 9K, 8K, 5K, or 11k. VW meant 10,000 miles.........And, not 6, 8, 9, or even 13 months---they meant one year....period..

Last edited:

RSTX

Veteran Member
Cool. Thanks everyone. I'll quit thinking too much about it and wait for 10k.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
That year mark is also very conservative on the oil service life.......

10,000 miles is easily doable on our oil.

Changing sooner is a waste of money and will not do anything positive. In Europe these things are equipped with sensors that tell when the oil needs to be changed. And over there it is once every 30,000kms(18,000 miles) or every 3 years whichever comes first.

On the Pentosin oil bottles the rated life is stated @ every 30k kms or every 3 years....

If you are worried about the change interval pull a sample to send in to be analyzed.

You will find it can go a lot further than you think.......

If you are really worried about the oil condition don't change it. But change the filter about half way through rated interval....

Many here are going to that 18k+ mile mark or the three year mark the oil is rated from the manufacturer. And oil samples that have been tested are showing that this is even conservative as the oil's real service life.....

I would suggest a sample be taken at the end of year to be tested. If that comes back good replace the filter and keep right on going....

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
FWIW, my dealer was very clear about the 10k oil change interval EXCEPT they want me to bring the JSW in for a first change at 5K, then at 10K, THEN at 10K intervals. They're covering the cost.

As far as the two years and no change...
Generally a time parameter is put on not so much because the oil wears- or separates- out, but the changes in temp can cause condensation in the crankcase, and with most likely short driving cycles, the water doesn't have the opportunity to evaporate out.

frank

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Matt Fm >

And with discussions with VW TDi professional/Techs, and considerable reading on the subject, it was made exceptionally clear that VW did not mean change at 9K, 8K, 5K, or 11k. VW meant 10,000 miles.........And, not 6, 8, 9, or even 13 months---they meant one year....period..

False. I disagree. In Europe, the interval is 15'000 km and this is 9322 miles.

Seriously, those intervals round number intervals were made so just because it's easier to remember and maintain.

E.g. "oil change every 10k miles" is easier to remember (also, visually too) rather than 9322 miles. So if you set the interval in US to be 9322 miles, you can probably calculate when is the 2nd oil change (18644) but almost no one will be able to calculate the 3rd interval without a calculator. This leads to missed services and incovenient numbers. With time interval, it's the same - 1 year is easier to remember rather than let's say 500 days.

In my opinion, oil change intervals (time and distance vise) are more a matter of "it depends". It's like an answer to a question "at what age do teenagers get mature".

Last edited:

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
FWIW, my dealer was very clear about the 10k oil change interval EXCEPT they want me to bring the JSW in for a first change at 5K, then at 10K, THEN at 10K intervals. They're covering the cost.
As far as the two years and no change...
Generally a time parameter is put on not so much because the oil wears- or separates- out, but the changes in temp can cause condensation in the crankcase, and with most likely short driving cycles, the water doesn't have the opportunity to evaporate out.
frank
Do not change the oil at 5k miles unless you are at 1 year.
Why is your dealer not following the recommended service intervals?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Do not change the oil at 5k miles unless you are at 1 year.
Why is your dealer not following the recommended service intervals?
It helps if you actually read the thread before posting.
I purchased a new 2013 Golf TDI in late January and now have 2900 miles on it. I did not ask, but assume that the dealership did not change the oil before I purchased it, meaning it's oil is now two years old. I know it has been on their lot since March 2013.
So, should I change the oil at 5k miles or wait until 10k?
If the dealer was following the recommended service interval, they would have changed it at the current 2900 miles because it's over the 1-year mark.

If it were me, I'd change it, even on my own nickel. It's a $25,000-ish car. Why skimp on one oil change? The filter's probably fine, just replace the oil. Get a Pela 6000, do it yerself, and save money down the road by doing your own oil changes.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
I was not responding to the original poster. I was responding to a different forum member, perhaps you should pay attention.

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
My apologies. Given that the original poster's question was with regards to changing the oil at 5k, I didn't realize you were taking the thread on a tangent. I concur wholeheartedly. Absolutely awful that a dealer would give an extra oil change for free. Call the better business bureau and lodge a complaint.