2013 Jetta TDI Oil Change Help Needed

RegeleDiesel

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/Nav
Hey guy's,
So I recently purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI and the dealer told me that I have free oil changes every 10k up to 3 times. My problem is that working at an oil change shop, I do not feel comfortable with my vehicle running 10k on an oil change. It is disgusting to see what a 10k oil looks like so I'm going to go every 5k. So I've done my research and I know the 2013 Jetta TDI takes 4.5 Quarts (4.3L) of Castrol Gold Professional LL03 5-30 oil that meets the specification 507. However, I cannot figure out what type of oil filter the vehicle takes. I contacted my local dealer and they said it is just a OEM oil filter and they do not know the name of it. I'm sure there is a MANN or any other type of brand oil filter for the vehicle but I do not know what it is. Help :) Links to sites selling the filter would also be appreciated if you have them! Thank you all.

Doug3

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI Autobahn
Experienced TDI owners ALL say wait until 10K before your 1st oil change.
"Your first oil change is due at 10,000 miles DO NOT change it early! Oil analysis supports 10,000 miles as being realistic for a first change interval. Wear metals will remain at safe levels during this entire first interval thanks to the initial run-in and flush at the factory before the engine was installed in your car.

This is a "must-read":
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501

Last edited:

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Some of us here go even 20,000 km. To change every 5,000 miles is a waste of money....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Why would you change the oil twice as often as necessary? Guess what, the oil is going to "look" the same draining out at 10k as it does at 5k, or 5 MINUTES for that matter. That is NOT an indication of its condition.

Really should dump the myth about oil changes. Heck, I'm doing 20k on my Golf (but my others are still 10k).

I would recommend a Mann filter. Their number is HU719/7x

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Hey guy's,
So I recently purchased a 2013 Jetta TDI and the dealer told me that I have free oil changes every 10k up to 3 times. My problem is that working at an oil change shop, I do not feel comfortable with my vehicle running 10k on an oil change. It is disgusting to see what a 10k oil looks like so I'm going to go every 5k. So I've done my research and I know the 2013 Jetta TDI takes 4.5 Quarts (4.3L) of Castrol Gold Professional LL03 5-30 oil that meets the specification 507. However, I cannot figure out what type of oil filter the vehicle takes. I contacted my local dealer and they said it is just a OEM oil filter and they do not know the name of it. I'm sure there is a MANN or any other type of brand oil filter for the vehicle but I do not know what it is. Help :) Links to sites selling the filter would also be appreciated if you have them! Thank you all.
Never judge used oil by what it "looks" like. The oil in your TDI will turn very black almost immediately after an oil change. 10K oil change intervals are just fine, you would not be doing your engine a favor changing at 5K. Anything less than 10K is just a waste of money and resources. The OEM oil filter may be manufactured by Mann so don't sweat those details it is a very good filter. Check out http://idparts.com/catalog/ for oil and filters.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
I don't mean to be "That Guy," but...

I bought a 2013 Jetta TDI with 7 miles on the odometer. The oil stayed somewhat honey-colored, then coffee-colored until almost 1000 miles when it was as black as Satan's soul. :D

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I don't mean to be "That Guy," but...

I bought a 2013 Jetta TDI with 7 miles on the odometer. The oil stayed somewhat honey-colored, then coffee-colored until almost 1000 miles when it was as black as Satan's soul. :D
That was a brand new engine, a condition you hope that particular car never sees again...

From now on, expect your oil to turn black very quickly after each oil change.

EDIT to add, This thread illustrates why TDIclub members urge each other to avoid oil change places like the plague....

Bill

Last edited:

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
OP, What your oil "looks like" is meaningless, all that matters is what a Used Oil Analysis tells you. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ After the first oil change, your oil will be jet black within a 100 miles of changing it, it's designed to suspend carbon (which is a good thing)

Run the recommended 10K miles OCI's. UOA's will show you that you can easily go 10K, 15K for all but the most extreme conditions.

+1 on getting the filter from ID Parts, reputable parts source, good prices and they have complete kits.

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
If VW recommends oil change at an interval of 10,000 miles, change oil between the interval 9999.9 and 10,001, unless you want to lighten your pocket at any interval less than this. Since you get free 3 oil changes, take advantage of those.

Paulman

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI (buyback at 109,000miles) 2014 Jetta TDI 59,000miles
Yes, I know.

My previous vehicle was a Mercedes Diesel, 1983.

I was making the humorous comment that all diesels will have engine oil that is very black.

10,000 mile OCI in a new TDI is the norm.

And the oil will be soot black before the oil change and after.

Paul

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
If you work at an oil change place, then you make a living telling people to change their oil often. Engines have changed and even more importantly, oils have changed. Our cars require a very special Low SAPS fully synthetic motor oil which is designed for long service life.

Here is a little reading for the OP: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

Have Fun!

Don

jmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6MT
If you work at an oil change place, then you make a living telling people to change their oil often. Engines have changed and even more importantly, oils have changed. Our cars require a very special Low SAPS fully synthetic motor oil which is designed for long service life.

Here is a little reading for the OP: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

Have Fun!

Don
That sums it up VERY well, I need to add that link to my favorites. OP, there is a reason our cars take a 10K mile change interval, and that reason is that that is what the VW engineers and the engineers at Castrol, Bosch, etc designed the car for. You work at an oil change place..... Would you put 10W-40 in a car that specifies 5W-30? I didn't think so...... Don't change your oil at 5K miles on a car that specifies 10.

The only people that stand to benefit from 5K mile changes are Mann filter, and Castrol (assuming you use Castrol oil). There are a great deal of 507.00 approved oils out there, I can provide you with a list of oils that meet VW specs if you like. Nothing wrong at all with the Castrol, it is what I use, but I want to point out that it's the factory OEM oil, not necessarily the recommended oil.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
European car manufacturers (like BMW) have been running "Long Life" oils (synthetics) long before North Americans have even heard about going that far between oil changes. And their cars are run hard, as in 110 MPH cruising speeds on the autobahn.

Where I used to work, the engineer running one of our labs ran his BMW 330 Ci on 20,000 to 25,000 km oil change intervals from day-one on his new car; he now has over 300,000 kms (>180K miles) on the engine. When he sent the oil up to our other lab (petroleum), the oil still checked out OK.

I wonder how many have had an oil related engine failure.

dlrkw9

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I agree with all others regarding holding off until 10k to change oil.

However, this is YOUR car that we are talking about, so should you decide to change oil more often...
Use 507 spec oil. Any old 5W-30 (Even synthetic) is not sufficient.
Get a quality filter. Mann seems to be the most common choice around here, and it is what I have used.
As somebody mentioned above, you can get the filters (and oil) at idparts.com

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Get a quality filter. Mann seems to be the most common choice around here.
Mahle is an other German brand and one that I use on my BMW motorcycle and Porsche 911. Both are used by BMW and Porsche with their own part number on it.

But during the warranty period, I get filters at the dealer even though they may be made by either of the above companies. I do not need a finger pointing exercise during a warranty issue.

These are for my other vehicle and yes, the filters are priced quite differently. You get what you pay for.

A FRAM oil filter...

A Mahle oil filter...

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I prefer to taste the oil instead of just looking at it. Depending on the taste is when I change my oil. /sarcasm.

Almost every Diesel engine manufacture has 10k miles or great oil changes. VW TDI has been 10k oil changes for many years now. Most of these engines have 300K miles on the 10k oil changes.

RegeleDiesel

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium w/Nav
Thank you so much for all the information guys! I guess I will wait until 10,000 miles to change the oil as VW and yourselves do recommend. Since the dealer does the 10k oil change intervals free of charge I won't have to worry about changing it myself at all....at least until 30k miles. Lots of great info so thanks again. Little side note here, I live in Michigan and it recently snowed quite well, about 4-6 inches I would say. Jetta is not doing that well in the snow :p Good thing I've got the backup Land Rover ;)

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
Didnt someone here maybe Drivebywire test a lot of used engine oil and determine that new engine oil is harder on the engine then it is in 3-4 thousand miles down the road. If memory is right the gist was that chaning oil @5k interval vs the 10k would be more harmful then helpfull to the motor, due to the ways the this oil slowly breaks down in relation to when engine wear occurred.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

Last edited:

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Had some snow here this morning on top of a layer of ice, and not a lick of trouble with good snow tires, Bridgestone Blizzaks. Fuel mileage sucked some on a trip into town that would have likely shown over 38 mpg on the MFD (about 4 or 5% optimistic) instead of 36. The Toy car would likely have produced about 19 though, so....

Paradoxjr

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI - Highline
My VW dealer pisses me off a bit (Canada) The manual says 16k KM for oil changes, I picked it up NEW and they changed the Oil Change intervals to 8K KM - I had to fight them to change it to 10K KM - I even contacted VW and they said they support the dealers decision. So I am stuck with 10K Km and I do 98% long distance (500KM) highway drives.

I also work for CATERPILLAR (dealer) and I sample my oil every change - It always comes back immaculate at 10k.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
How are you "stuck"? :confused: Dealer cannot force you to do something that isn't necessary. Why do you people even go back to these places??? :mad:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
Hey guy's,
10k is fine. I had UOAs done with the Castrol 507 oil at 10k and Blackstone said I could easily run it to 15k (but I don't). Waste your money if you want. As far as filters go, Mann filters from IDParts are good stuff. Most local auto parts shops don't seem to carry anything for our cars.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

13vwtdi

TDI
2013 Jetta
I work for VW and they have studied the oil to be good for up to 30,000 miles before the oil will begin to break down. I was the same way but it has been fine. Trust us you are not to doing any good for the motor. Save your money and let them do the oil changes at 10k and you will be fine. If you have any questions please pm me. Thanks mike

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
10k is fine. I had UOAs done with the Castrol 507 oil at 10k and Blackstone said I could easily run it to 15k (but I don't). Waste your money if you want. As far as filters go, Mann filters from IDParts are good stuff. Most local auto parts shops don't seem to carry anything for our cars.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

He was taling 10k KM not Miles tho, thats way too short

EDIT:Sorry, mis read it and thought you were talking about paradoxjr.

Moral is 10k miles is perfectly fine. anything less is a waste of money and might be harmful to the engine.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
I work for VW and they have studied the oil to be good for up to 30,000 miles before the oil will begin to break down. I was the same way but it has been fine. Trust us you are not to doing any good for the motor. Save your money and let them do the oil changes at 10k and you will be fine. If you have any questions please pm me. Thanks mike
With this in mind, is there any reason not to run it past 10K? 15 or 20 maybe?