Potential starter issue

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Good day all

Car wasn't starting after it sat for a few months, wouldn't jump from another car either, it would just turn over very slowly. Pulled the battery and reconditioned it on a NOCO charger, and reinstalled. The starter spins faster then it did originally, but the engine no longer turns at all, making me think the starter isn't engaging. Can anyone recommend a way to test the starter specifically before replacing? Or is it just done? Or is there something else entirely in missing?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Few steps you can take
As mentioned, make sure all the connections are good Including under tha battery tray
Charge the battery to 100% then turn the ignition on and the headlights on for 1 to 2 minutes. Disconnect the IP fuel shutoff solenoid so it wont start. Now with a volt meter connected to the battery so you can see it, crank the car over. If you see anything less than 10 volts the battery is dead. You should see about 10.8 to 10.9 volts.
You can also next test the amp draw of the starter. Anythjng over 80 amps is suspect, anything over 90 amps and the starter is toast
Some starters run more, some less. Best to reference against the starter fuse for amp rating!
Now are you saying that when you crank the starter that it will not spin the engine over? If so the starter is definatly done for.
Go oem. Dont bother with reman or anything from box stores unless its oem or you dont mind doing this a few times in the future.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
found my 2000 jetta had extremely bad grounds under the battery tray, might need to look there. Make sure your battery is actually ok, if its been dead for a while you need to replace it. It wont give you the cranking amp you need. Also check the starter pinion, might have a bit of rust or dust on there
Yes, I had to remove the battery tray to fix the captive nut, and I tidied up the ground while it was explosed. Thanks for the response.

Few steps you can take
As mentioned, make sure all the connections are good Including under tha battery tray
Charge the battery to 100% then turn the ignition on and the headlights on for 1 to 2 minutes. Disconnect the IP fuel shutoff solenoid so it wont start. Now with a volt meter connected to the battery so you can see it, crank the car over. If you see anything less than 10 volts the battery is dead. You should see about 10.8 to 10.9 volts.
You can also next test the amp draw of the starter. Anythjng over 80 amps is suspect, anything over 90 amps and the starter is toast
Some starters run more, some less. Best to reference against the starter fuse for amp rating!
Now are you saying that when you crank the starter that it will not spin the engine over? If so the starter is definatly done for.
Go oem. Dont bother with reman or anything from box stores unless its oem or you dont mind doing this a few times in the future.
For testing the starter draw current, would the best place to put the ammeter in series with the circuit be at the fuse or on the starter itself? I'll test the voltage value when I get home and let you know, though the battery sat for quite a while, its only 18 months old. If its toast I'll see how Costco is with their 100 month warranties. If the starter is toast, what comany made the OEM starter for VW? Bosch? I can take a look for that online today, being an older part and in Newfoundland I;ll likely have to order in. Thanks for the helps

h.ubk

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI with 1Z Engine
If you have the starter out of the car, most of the auto parts stores have a machine that will test it for free.

h.ubk

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I tested the battery voltage. It went to about 11.4V during cranking. I'll pull the starter tomorrow and take a look at it and try to take it to a NAPA or the like, anywhere that could test it for me.

Thanks for all the help, I'll update once I have the starter out and investigated.

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So I had a hard time testing in car with the coolant heater in the way, so I just removed the starter. I clamped the negative jumper cable lead on the bolt hole part, put the positive to the terminal it normally goes to, then jumped the positive to the solenoid signal spade end with a screwdriver. Nothing happened. No spin or extension. I'll try to find a shop with a real bench tester, bit I think my starer is the issue.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Volt meter on solenoid should have continuity of non then its shot. It spun over before right?

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Oh my lanta I want this ordeal to be over. I am not 98% sure it's my battery. It sat for an extended period, as I mentioned, but I had it on recondition for two days, and its only 18 months old, so it must be okay. After the recondition the starter stopped turning it over and just whirled, then stopped making noise at all. I assumed it was bad and pulled it out.

Volt meter on solenoid should have continuity of non then its shot. It spun over before right?
It did have good resistance readings, which made me suspect, but the jumper cables bench test showed dead. I put the battery on my Canadian tire charger for an hour while I opened, cleaned, and lubed the starter like the DIY shows, and tried again. To my shock, it worked for about 15 seconds, quickly at first, then slowing to a stop, and nothing. So my battery is done, and recondition mode was a flase prophet in my search for start up. I'll take it to costco for exchange this week, reinstall my starter, and give what should the final update with the car started!

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Also check the little ground wire strap on the starter itself. They tend to disintegrate with age.... if it's been hot in your neck of the woods, that'll kill your battery also, especially if it was dead for a period of time...

reildawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
So new battery and rebuilt starter (brushes were shot), and it turns over finally. Slower then required, but it is turning and sounds much better.

Since this hasnt started in a year, I put some kleen flo diesel conditioner in the tank and directly into the filter housing. Would it be a good idea to pull the injectors and turning it over a bit before starting? Will disabling the fuel pump relay have the same effect?