Remote Start

GoZoom

TDI
A4 2003 , 2009CR
What is the experience with remote starts for TDI? I'm looking to get one prior to winter and am worried about having some monkey screw up the German engineering.... Please give me suggestions! Thanks! GoZoom

vaccineman

I don't think it will help with cabin interior temps- idling TDIs don't generate much warmth. I have seat heaters, and that keeps me going until the 5 min. or so interval passes to feel warm air.

my $0.02 worth

lumberjackbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Getta
Its better to just get in and go. The engine doesnt create enough heat at idle. Also it isnt very good for the engine to idle for pro-longed periods of time. If your concerned about it being cold in the interior at start maybe you should consider an engine heater. At least that way you can install it yourself and only have you to blame if you screw something up.

03GOLFTDI19

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003, Silver
Ive thought about making something to idle the motor up to 1600rpms have a switch where my esp (that i dont have) would be. Bad idea?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
In order for a diesel to make heat it has to be under a load. High idle increases the load slightly but the only thing you end up doing is just revving an engine on cold oil while allowing buildup of moisture in a cold motor and it's oil.

For faster warm up:

-Turn the heat to full hot
-Fan control on "1" NOT "4" or FULL!!! This removes BTU's faster than they are created!

THEN:

Automatic TDI:
-Drive normal and the warmth will be supplemented by heat generated in the transmission.

Manual TDI:
-Keep RPM's below 2500 to keep the glow plugs from cycling off.
-Once the temp gets off the bottom peg rev the engine to 3,000 when shifting.

In either case I suggest a Diesel Geek Oil cooler!!! Get that oil up to temp faster and keep it at more stable operating temps in all conditions.

DB

Hammy

TDI
2003 Golf 3-dr Reflex Silver
[ QUOTE ]
vaccineman said:
I don't think it will help with cabin interior temps- idling TDIs don't generate much warmth. I have seat heaters, and that keeps me going until the 5 min. or so interval passes to feel warm air.

my $0.02 worth

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you can have seat heaters installed aftermarket if you don't already have them. I haven't done it myself, but i think its only about $200/seat. Or, find a junked VW in a junkyard with heated seats and salvage the seats.

master cylinder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Cool White
Isn't there a problem with a stick trans and a remote start? Also - how would the unit know when the glow plug light is out and ready to start? All the remote start/alarm system/radar detector installs I have ever seen resulted in a High School kid butchering wiring/plastic trim etc.. I would avoid it like the plaque!

I drove all last Winter with no problem (although I have heated seats and live a 1/4 mile from the highway entrance). Just hop in, fire it up and go! You will have heat in no time. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
[ QUOTE ]
03GOLFTDI19 said:
Ive thought about making something to idle the motor up to 1600rpms have a switch where my esp (that i dont have) would be. Bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would like a high idle too but you don't need to rev it that much. 1600 is a bit high for a cold motor. I did an experiment while I was living in Iowa. We had a freezing rain storm just before it snowed and that left a nasty layer of ice over the car. I revved the motor at approx 1200-1500 rpm (variable with having to adjust foot for comfort) with the fan switch in 3, heat to full, (activating those coolant glow plugs) with max to defrost. Within 10 minutes I had full heat and a nearly clear windshield VS who knows at low idle. 1200 rpm also works well with the AC when idle.

GoZoom

TDI
A4 2003 , 2009CR
Thanks all.. I live in Alaska and remote start (or leaving the car running -very standard practice) is the best options. especially when every btu helps keep the car warm... I've got remote start on my Duramax but am looking for a TDI compliant one..As for glow plugs, the Dmax remote pauses for 10 seconds then starts allowing the plugs to heat.

I've got the GLS TDI and leather (not my choice) so having the seats warm would be a big plus...

THANKS..

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
i dont think its a good idea on a tdi b/c the engine wont heat up at idle, get a TDI heater this will provide instant heat and its easier on th engine

they do have relays for stickshifts but not for glowplugs

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
To answer the original question, the Clifford Solaris and a couple of other alarms can handle remote start of TDIs and even manual transmissions. With that said, I recommend both heated seats and the TDI heater.

GoZoom

TDI
A4 2003 , 2009CR
Thanks for the input.. I've got the heated seats but no where to plug into for the heater!

Thanks again...

GoZoom