Adding a larger or extra Fuel Tank

AlanH70

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I have a question. Has anyone ever or do you know of anyone that has added a fule tank or replaced original tank with a larger tank in a VW Jetta? I have a 1998 Jetta TDI and I would like to add a fuel tank but I am unsure if this can be done, or who would do it. Is it even legal to do this to a TDI Jetta most of all is it safe?

If possible could you send an answer to my personal email at ALANH70@aol.com

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I had a friend who had an early diesel Rabbit and apparently there was a commercial tank that fit the spare tyre area. He would drive from Columbus Ohio to mid Florida without refueling. Me I need to stop more often than that. :)

Long_Range

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Sedan GL 2004
You might look around in the biodiesel forum. There are some SVO (straight vegetable oil) kits that use a tank in the trunk for the veggie oil. Suppose you could fill it with diesel instead. I think most fit in the spare tire well.

g-wagen

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Execline
Tank

Lot's of diesel pickups use transfer tanks. They flow from the Aux tank to the main tank, things to worry about, gas station letting you fill a tank in your trunk, I know of the chevduramax that you often trip a trouble code because the truck is moving and the tank is getting fuller, but perhaps the the VW computers aren't that smart. Another option is to havea transfer tank but with out the connection between the tanks and have a hand pump so you pull over put a hose in your regualr tank and pump and off you go again!

Please put a GOOD filter on the aux tank, if they are steel or plated steel crap is still in the tank the waster veg oil tanks are usually aluminum and they don't rust!

Have fun!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
This has been discussed previously. The weight of an extra tank and fuel will lower fuel mileage, adversely affect handling and braking distance, and put extra stress on suspension components.

Those are the negatives. On the plus side, if you wear an adult diaper you may be able to drive 1000-1500 miles without stopping.