Battery: Minimum CCA???

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Someone showed me some small batteries that lighten up the front end during autocross events:

Less weight up front leads to less understeer. The battery seemed good for him because he has a 2-liter. However, I'm doubtful that such a battery is practical for turning over a high compression engine like the TDI.

What do you think is the minimum amount of CCAs a battery should have? Better yet, what's the minimum you'd put in a TDI during the racing season (warm weather) and what's the minimum CCA you'd use for year 'round use?

Thanks,

Scott

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
depends on the type of batt. Minimum old-school cell-plate battery, I'd probably put something like an 800 CCA, as the peak on these don't last long. With an optima or other spiral-cell batt, I can stand to go lower. 700 minimum I would expect. In warmer weather you can do things differently. Scott, if you are that concerned about the CCA for something like an autocross event, why don't you put in something small for a batt, and then get one of those chargable portable boosting things? You can hook it up, fire up the car, and then run off the smaller bat. By the way, if you are REALLY interested in the weight distribution, why don't you go the whole nine yards? Get a battery relocation kit. Put your big battery in the trunk and bolt it down. That way you have now put the weight in the back of the car, and more evenly distributed things. Just a thought. That way you don't have to worry about changing the battery for different seasons or anything like that.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Have you looked at the Optima 51R? It offers 600CCA and an 11 lb. weight savings over the popular 34R. Just a thought--I'm not even sure if it will fit the A3.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

According to Optima's website, the D51R has only 500-CCA (0*F) and 625-CA (32*F, sometimes referred to as Marine Cranking Amps). I'm considering the D35 with 650-CCA and 810-CA. As far as fitting in the A3 goes, I don't think Optima has a battery that won't fit. Even the gigantic D31 "commercial battery" will fit since it's about the same size as the stock battery.

But I have a new problem. I notice a few weeks ago that the car starts a little slow. I had been parking it for up to 10-days at a time. So I thought it might be getting close to time for a new battery. Now that I'm up into colder temperatures, in the teens and twenties lately, the car starts even slower. I took a look at my log to see how long I have had my Exide Orbital Select battery. I bought it just over four years ago! Therefore, I think it's time for a new one. Consequently, I need to focus on getting one that's suitable for year 'round use. Perhaps the D34, 870-CCA and 750-CA, is the better choice.

Opinions?

Scott

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
My opinion is you should get the most power that you can afford that fits.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I would consider the specs of the original factory installed battery as the minimum. If you do short trip driving a lot, then the battery won't be getting fully recharged between starts. Such a driver should concider putting a battery charger on it to bring it up to full charge periodically.

I've got an Optima Yellow Top (deep cycle) in my other vehicle. It has been there for almost 4 years now. Lots of times when that vehicle would sit for several weeks without use. It took me from March to September to go through 1 tank of fuel (and only then because I deliberately drove it enough to use up that tank of fuel). That battery has gone pretty low, but always started the vehicle and still fully recharges when the vehicle gets driven on long trips.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Scott, if you have the car sitting at home, and have access to a plug, you might want to also look at getting one of those small devices to keep your battery topped up. I'm not talking about a charger, it's something that just tops up the batt from time to time. I think a lot of Harley dealers have one.

I put in a vote for the Optima. I have run my car radio while doing work on my car for countless hours, and the thing started my TDI without even complaining. I do have a charger at home, and just trickle charge in the spring and fall. Apparently this helps the battery to stay fresh, and gets them to last longer.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Scott, if you leave the car alone a lot, I would go as suggested by MOGolf, a yellow top deep cycle.

I have a 34R, red top.

800CCA and with only 2 glow plugs it made the car start at -28C!!!

Since I replaced the 2 remaining glow plugs, this TDI will start at any temperature!!!!!

Here are the full specs:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I went shopping for Optima batteries today. WOW! They've gone up in the past four years!
Given the $50 difference in price between the red and yellow tops, $109 vs $159, I find myself wondering if I really need a deep-cycle battery.

I normally just drive the car to work. I occasionally fire up the voltage inverter to power my laptop on long road trips. The equipment runs in the car when I'm away during short stops (engine off). The ham radio draws about 8-amps while transmitting. But I normally just listen (500-1000 mA). The stereo, while SORT OF powerful, just doesn't get blasted the way it used to. Sometimes I play it in the garage when I'm working on the car, but not at super volumes.

SO, given my anticipated use, is the red top battery a bad idea? Choosing the yellow top will cost more and sacrifice some CCAs. But I'd have no worries about battery life. I suppose looking at the price difference over the four year life expectancy shows the difference is about $1 per month.
Hmmmm, seems almost stupid not to get a yellow top battery when I look at it that way.
But $159!!!

Ahhhh, choices... choices....

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Scott, the cheapie red top will fit fine without the reversed posts. You just have to remove the battery cable from a tiedown, and it stretches fine.

1 year with mine, 0 dead battery even when playing the stereo long term while working on the car.

Firedog9345

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Rammstein, Thanks for all your great posts! A quick question: Did you use a memory adaptor plugged into the cigarette lighter to save your radio codes? If you did, how exactly did you do it? I just orded a 34R and bought the adaptor. I think I'll have to hook it up to another car battery, so not the break the cycle.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
No firedog, I just remember the radio code.

My radio is aftermarket and I've put my own code.

Anyway I have no problem remembering things yet (I know what I ate for dinner 5 days ago
, I'm just a big tape recorder...).

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I cleaned my battery posts/cable on my 97 b4 a couple of weeks ago, and didn't loose the radio, nor the presets. I did set off the alarm every time I reconnected, so be prepared for that. I haven't seen a lost radio with short term battery disconnects yet ..... but perhaps next time I will.

If you have all ready, I doubt you'll need the codes.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Hi,

I have one of those battery/compressor thingys I plug into the cigarette lighter when I change the battery. I suppose your "adapter" is essentially the same thing, but with less current. I just slip a sock or leather glove over the positive battery cable when I remove it to ensure it doesn't touch anything.

Take Care,

Scott

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
Put in the maximum CCA and battery size you can, forget the optima's. Use your $$ for other bling bling for your car.
Size doesn't matter. The optima may be smaller, but has more CCA's than most "big batteries".

The ability to start is no bling bling dude.

The Optima will outlive any conventional batteries too.

steve b

TDI
A3, 1997, Green
so whats wrong with getting 5 years out of a standard 850 CCA battery at 0 degrees, 1000 at 32 degrees? I think I paid about $50 for the last battery I purchased. I use the same battery in my pickup, fathers pickup and now our diesel farm tractor. Deka is the name brand. I haven't seen too many operators of large trucks using Optima batteries.

Firedog9345

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Well, I replaced my battery with a 34R and did use the cigarette lighter memory saver. Unfortunaltely my radio went into SAFE mode. Anyone know how I can get the code to reset the radio?????

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It will either be in your owner's manual, or you have to pull the radio out to get the serial number, and go to the dealership with your VIN, and they'll give you the code.

-J