What the heck am I looking at? (disconnected line near AC compressor)

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
OK, I feel like a dummy... I was just poking around under the hood of my (relatively new to me) '11 Sportwagen and discovered this line that leads nowhere. Looks like an AC high pressure line, but there's nothing I can see that it would attach to, and AC lines all look like they are where they need to be. As far as I know my AC works fine (been too cool to really test, I guess). Thoughts? Disused trans cooler like (since mine is a manual)? I have no idea what I'm looking at! Thanks!

Last edited:

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Weeeelll, never mind. I discovered that the (service ?) line is supposed to connect there. Looks like it blew off at some point. Super! Any sage advice? Will replacing this line then evacuating/recharging the system fix things? Wonder if I need to replace the drier since the system has been open. Crap...

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Well....

To answer if it will fix things, it might. It depends on WHY the hose failed. Was the system over pressurized and that was the weak link? If so, the next weak link in the system will blow out.

Will you need to replace the drier, You absolutely should. You have no idea how long the system has been open and how much moisture it as absorbed from the atmosphere.

If I were you, I would replace the blown out line and consider replacing the compressor, expansion valve, and drier. Then completely flushing the remaining lines and the evaporator.

Only then can you be sure you are good to go.

If you want to do it the cheap way, AT THE MINIMUM you need to replace the blown out line and drier. Flush the lines and evaporator, then vacuum and recharge.

And roll the dice.

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Well....

To answer if it will fix things, it might. It depends on WHY the hose failed. Was the system over pressurized and that was the weak link? If so, the next weak link in the system will blow out.

Will you need to replace the drier, You absolutely should. You have no idea how long the system has been open and how much moisture it as absorbed from the atmosphere.

If I were you, I would replace the blown out line and consider replacing the compressor, expansion valve, and drier. Then completely flushing the remaining lines and the evaporator.

Only then can you be sure you are good to go.

If you want to do it the cheap way, AT THE MINIMUM you need to replace the blown out line and drier. Flush the lines and evaporator, then vacuum and recharge.

And roll the dice.
Thank you! If I had to guess, I'd put money on this happening when the radiator was replaced in December. They probably tugged a little too hard on this line and pulled it apart. No one noticed since it was December in Wisconsin (where the previous owner lived), and here I am dealing with it. So it goes!

Thanks again!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
What fixmy59bug says x2 although I dont think these systems have an expansion valve. Winter in the upper midwest the system is saturated fo sho!

While your in there the RCV (refrigerant control valve) on the compressor is an extreemly high on the failure scale on these systems. I beleive its operation eliminates any expansion valve.

Any CPO coverage?

cscmc1

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
What fixmy59bug says x2 although I dont think these systems have an expansion valve. Winter in the upper midwest the system is saturated fo sho!
While your in there the RCV (refrigerant control valve) on the compressor is an extreemly high on the failure scale on these systems. I beleive its operation eliminates any expansion valve.
Any CPO coverage?
No CPO -- this will all be on me. :(

And yes, I will most definitely replace the RCV; that's at the top of the list. I need to see how difficult it's going to be to get the drier out. I've seen folks say the front clip needs significant disassembly, but I've also seen someone suggest that it can come out w/o a whole lot of fuss. I sure hope the latter is the case, though I have my doubts.

Thank you!

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
What fixmy59bug says x2 although I dont think these systems have an expansion valve.
Oh, they absolutely do. They function differently than traditional expansion valves because of the fact that the compressor has the RCV and is always engaged. But there is definitely an expansion valve.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thanks again for the guidance! Have either of you had any experience with these kits? Viable?

https://www.autocoolingsolutions.com/ac-lines/ac-line-repair-kits
My 2011 JSW went to the 1st dealership for no A/c only to baffle them. They said it was low, recharged it. I couldn't really check the output temp becouse it was a cold morning last spring.
After confirming no cold air with a vent thermometer I took it to a real dealership who did RCV and recharge. They didnt even have a deductible somehow. 100*+ days it will freeze you out