OBD2 port stopped working

Rayovac

TDI
2003 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 Passat Wagon
A fellow board member came by yesterday to help me program a new immo key with his new VAG Tacho and wasn't able to connect to the ECU on my 2003 Golf. The port was working a couple of weeks ago when I connected a generic OBD2 code reader to check a CEL. I tried it again yesterday to check and it too could not connect.

Did some reading and found the K-line issue. Pulled the aftermarket head unit and, bingo, found the K-line (grey and white) was spliced to a line on the HU. Thought that cutting and taping it off would solve the problem, but still can't connect with my code reader.

There were a couple of threads suggesting the cluster needed to be replaced, but how do I check that?

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, anybody have any suggestions?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Here are the OBD pins

#1 - From Fuse 5, powered from the ignition (hot when ignition is ON)
#2 - no use
#3 - no use
#4 - ground
#5 - ground
#6 - from T32a/27, from green plug connector on back of Cluster
#7 - from T32/25, from blue plug connector on back of Cluster
#8 - no use
#9 - no use
#10 - no use
#11 - no use
#12 - no use
#13 - no use
#14 - T32a/28, from green connector on back of Cluster
#15 - no use
#16 - From fuse use 12, hot at all times

InfoSec

Veteran Member
I had the same issue last night. Tried to download my stage 1 tune in order to upload the stage 5 by Malone this coming weekend. It seems like I removed a fuse from #12 and didn't replace it. I had to swap #16 into the 12 spot and the Flashzilla fired right up. It very well could be that I moved them around when I was investigating some recent AC issues. All is well but I need to go and buy a fuse for the #12 spot. Not sure what it runs but it will be fixed shortly!

Mike