Febi vs Kolbenschmidt bew cam for brm which is better?

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
Which cam is a better quality? I've read the bew cam has a better profile and will work well with the brm. Thanks all.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
It will. More aggressive injector profile was required for DPF. Since BRM was derived from BLS, it has no DPF so a generic PD cam can be used.

xltsp8

TDI
04 Jetta
How much wear is ok for the cam? Two valve lobes have slight chamfer wear. Nothing that catches a fingernail but wear still. Thoughts on Febi or kolbenschmidt?

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
How much wear is ok for the cam? Two valve lobes have slight chamfer wear. Nothing that catches a fingernail but wear still. Thoughts on Febi or kolbenschmidt?
Just replaced my cam at 200k miles. 3 lobes had the chamfer off (fully gone) at the top of the lobes; The thing that surprised me was the lifters had very little or no dishing or cupping. The bottom half of the bearing clearly had wear while the tops look almost new. Glad I did it with this timing belt change but car was running fine and could have gone farther.

Given what you say I would think you still have some life in your cam.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Unless the chamfer is completely gone, I wouldn't worry.
If the chamfer is worn on only one lobe, I wouldn't worry.

If the chamfer is gone on two or more lobes, I'd replace the cam.

Personally I wouldn't worry about KS vs Febi. Would take the one which is available locally as both are well-known manufacturers.