Drove a 2001 Jetta 2.0 gasser last night........

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
....what a dogg!

At least compared to my TDI.

Was looking at possibly buying it for my daughter.

It had a 5 speed stick with the 2.0 non-turbo gas motor.

It looked nice. It was white with some pin striping and some nice 17" white KO racing, (I think that's what they were called), rims. Otherwise it was completely stock. It felt good driving it except for the lack of power.
I mean it was OK, but compared to my TDI it was a dog.

Actually with the lack of power, it would make a good car for my daughter.:p

I wonder how much it would wake up with a few mods.;)

Invader

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
Dump those heavy 17's and it'll feel like twinkle toes..

The 2.0 may be slow, but it's a workhorse, simple to maintain, and very fault tolerant.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I had a 2.0 nb - and loved it. It has a bit more hp than the tdi, but it's higher in the rpm area. Still pretty good torque in the 2500-3500 range through, seldom had to downshift for the hills around here. Good choice for a "learner".

Matthew_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS galactic blue
Being naturally aspirated it will take thousands of dollars in mods to get a fraction of the performance gain that you get from spending $500 on a TDI.

A lot of early 2.0s have major oil consumption problems. Most of the 2.0s that I work on use at least a quart every 1500 miles. Many use much more. Having said that, the 2.0 is going to be more reliable, harder to kill and cheaper to own (other than fuel) than a TDI.

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What lug pattern does a 2001 jetta have?

I have the stock 16" rims off my 06 still sitting in the garage. They are 5 112.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That is actually a good engine...well, there are 3 different 2.0L engines in 2001. AEG (early, with a throttle cable and the goofy downpipe), AVH (drive-by-wire throttle, newer coil, engine management), and the AZG (CA spec emissions, otherwise the same as the AVH, but many found there way to dealers outside CA).

Many times they feel doggy because the timing belt is so stretched and loose the cam timing is off, also many times the throttle body adaptation (especially on the AEG) is way out and the ECU does not actually know what full throttle is.

All in all, sturdy unstressed engine that is not particularly good at anything but not bad at anything either. Plus, they are one of two VAG engines that are calibrated to run on regular gasoline...all the others require premium.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
invader said:
What lug pattern does a 2001 jetta have?

I have the stock 16" rims off my 06 still sitting in the garage. They are 5 112.
They won't fit. The 2001 Jetta has a 5x100 bolt pattern.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
oilhammer said:
also many times the throttle body adaptation (especially on the AEG) is way out and the ECU does not actually know what full throttle is.
I had an issue with mine when I changed the battery. It went from almost peppy enough to rough and wouldn't hold cruise at all.

After the dealer couldn't figure it out (for 1.5 hours @ $75) Ross-Tech came to my rescue with the "throttle body allignment" technique. 15 seconds with the computer and it was back to normal. If a person owns one of these cars, get VagCom and learn about the gasser requirements. VagCom saved more money on that 2.0 and my wifes VR6 than on our TDI's.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
rdkern said:
I had an issue with mine when I changed the battery. It went from almost peppy enough to rough and wouldn't hold cruise at all.

After the dealer couldn't figure it out (for 1.5 hours @ $75) Ross-Tech came to my rescue with the "throttle body allignment" technique. 15 seconds with the computer and it was back to normal. If a person owns one of these cars, get VagCom and learn about the gasser requirements. VagCom saved more money on that 2.0 and my wifes VR6 than on our TDI's.
Yep, if you disconnect the battery the throttle body adaptation needs to be reset. But, the adaptation can get out all on its own after a while, especially if it gets gunked up.