B4 struts/shocks

imported_giggy

TDI
1997 Passat sedan
I've seen some discussion about suspension, but I haven't come across anyone who actually has Koni Reds on a B4. I was just about talking myself into spending the extra money to get the Bilstein HDs (the cheapskate in me was originally leaning toward the TCs) but then I talked to my brother and he made a pitch for the Konis. (He's had HDs on a couple of GTIs and likes them, but confirms that they're really firm. He suspects the Konis are a better compromise of comfort and handling.) So, anyone out there have Koni Reds on a B4? What do you think of them? And where did you buy them? Tire Rack just has the Yellows and tdiparts.com doesn't carry Koni. Thanks,

Jason
'97 B4, 130K, stock
Gig Harbor, WA

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Got 'em but haven't yet installed them. They are not listed or stocked by Koni North America; they're a special order from Europe. Any Koni dealer should be able to order them. I ordered from Shox.com.

imported_giggy

TDI
1997 Passat sedan
I saw shox.com carried Koni, but I started to wonder if those were Reds or the same Yellows that Tire Rack carries. Thanks for the info, Chris. Now I just have to decide if I want to spend that much.

Jason

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
FWIW, I have the Yellows installed on my B4 and really like them, though I would go for the Reds if given a choice. The Yellows are firm, but not punishing--much like the TCs, only better (less choppiness and less wallowing at the same time). I just wish I could adjust low- and high-speed damping independently.

TdiYardie

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4V ABS stock
Chris Bell said:
Got 'em but haven't yet installed them. They are not listed or stocked by Koni North America; they're a special order from Europe. Any Koni dealer should be able to order them. I ordered from Shox.com.
If you don't mind me asking, what is a ballpark price for a set of these. I have the TCs, but am in search for mor, want the HDs, but not sure. What is the diff in the Koni reds and the Billy HDs?

Would also like to get springs that don't lower the car too much, (mine have over 250k miles) but cannot find a suitalble replacement.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
By the way, Peter at Tdiparts LOVES Konis. I believe he is going to carry them, or perhaps already does. Send a pm, he'll set you up.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
I haven't found the following referenced in another thread, but when buying the Konis, what do they mean when they differentiate between a dent in the tube and not. Tire Rack makes mention of it. Does the B4 require some modification that Koni makes to mount the shocks with a dent in the shock tube?

Ralf

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
IIRC, the dent in the body of the strut is a way to differentiate between a replacable/rebuildable and a throwaway unit. I think that you grind the dent out to remove the cartridge and pein the body again once the new cartridge is installed. I haven't done it, so you'd better check it out for yourself.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
Reds are $436 (includes delivery) from Shox.com

P/Ns: 87-2529 front, 80-2615 rear

B4 TDIs do have a dent in the strut housing, but that fact is only relevant for Koni strut cartridge inserts for non-sealed OEM struts. TDI struts are sealed and there is only one Koni number for them in Red or Yellow.

Rechtsverdreher

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat (met its end), 2000 Jetta
I thank both of you. That clears up the issue on that score.

From what I'm reading, the reds are less firm than the yellows? Does that affect handling to the extent that these cars can be made to handle? (Sorry, coming from an RX7/Supra perspective).

Ralf

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red
Remember that we're still talking FWD here. But, yes, my B4 will hustle with the best of them on a twisty road. It is not ever going to beat a good driver in an M3, but it does allow me to take on most other drivers & win. (not that I ever do ;) )

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Where did you set them? How many 1/2 turns in?