MK4 Golf got smashed, now looking at MK6 Golf -- looking for some collective wisdom

alex_tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI GLS, 2001, Blue
Hi Everyone,

My 2001 Golf got smashed by an Audi A5 earlier tonight and it's pretty clear it's completely totaled. RIP. So I started searching the car ads and 2013 Golf TDIs are selling for around 10 - 12K around LA. A good potential replacement. Based on the readings I've done on this board and others, it looks like 2013/2014 is the last MYs of MK6. I like that, because that means VW has worked out most of the kinks.

There are lots of posts here regarding the JSW, but I'm looking only at the Golf, so I was wondering if you guys can share your thoughts on the questions I have:

Q1 - Given the 2013/2014 MY, what problems/expensive areas I should look out for or plan for? (e.g. DPF, EGR, HPFP, gasket, timing chain, tensioner, water pump, A/C?) And what are the associated costs? (DIY/local mechanic)

Q2 - Since all TDIs have had the VW emissions fix, what does that mean for extended warranty on the emission components? I've read it's 5 yrs / 60K after the fix was applied, correct?

Q3 - How's the DSG for the 2013/2014 years? I have a 2009 A3 with the 6-speed DSG and it stutters from a dead stop when hot. I'm hoping they've figured out a fix by now.

Q4 - I see the panaromic roof on the JSW is troublesome, how about the regular sunroof on the Golf? Any issues?

Q5 - I've read over the years that the MK4 lasts a long time (ALH engines can go 300 - 400K miles). How about the MK6? or should I look at the MK7?

Q6 - I've never purchased a used car with more than 10K miles before. What things should I consider when looking at cars with 40 - 70K miles? Would you recommend buying a 6+ yrs old car?

Thanks.

Alex

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I know of 2 common rail JSW chugging flawlessly at 600k plus miles. VW warranty on CPO will give you headache-free ownership. Get an 2014 because rear view camera are standard. Its a nice feature. After the warranty expires, get DPF/EGR delete kit with stage 2 malone tune, they will be truly diesel rocket. I had old 2011 JSW with CP3 pump, DPF/EGR delete and lasted to 300k miles but rear ended made the hatch unable to be closed completely plus DSG computer was failing which is rare so I had to let her go thru buyback program. :( sorely missing her. I got an exact twin, its a 2014 white exterior with cornsilk interior with DSG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YoungDieselstein

Veteran Member
Orem, UT (Formerly San Diego, CA and Clarksville,
TDI
Ferdinand "Ferdie" The Wagon: 2003 Jetta Wagon, Reflex Silver. RIP 3/2019
Same. Sadness is real.

We just lost our 2003 Jetta Wagon. :,(
My wife was driving it and lost control on slushy/icy road. Rolled it on the shoulder.

Sad day.

We found a 2014 JSW (same everything as the Golf, different body, I think that's the only difference, really). And now I'm worried about regretting a purchase because we loved that wagon like it was a member of our family.

Following this thread now so I don't have to build my own.
Thanks for asking such great questions!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
The mk6 golf is a great car. I've had a couple of them. Shop around for deals. I recently saw a 2012 golf tdi for $5.5k.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Warranty is 11 years/162K miles from original in service date, or 4/48 from used purchase, whichever is greater. And it covers a lot: HPFP, turbo, injectors, EGR, DPF, CAT, intercooler...and other stuff. If you find a lower mileage one at a VW dealer they'll also offer a 2 year CPO warranty which covers the rest of the car. It's probably a good value.

I'm a big MKIV fan (have two) and owned a '12 Golf TDI for a while. I never fell in love with it. The ride is harsher without handling better, I thought there was more wind noise (but it may have been less engine noise compared to the IV), and the car felt a little bloated to me. I have a '15 GSW now, which I like better. But the MKIV is still my favorite. I can fit them all in my garage if I want.

Personally I'd look for a 2015 Golf with a manual. Get the base version (S) and you won't have to worry about the sunroof (although they aren't trouble like the pano roofs on the Sportwagens). I like almost everything about the '15s better. And they're available.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd test drive both the mk6 and mk7. There are a number of mk7 owners that preferred their previous mk6. I have a strong preference for 2 doors and independent rear suspension, neither of which are available in the mk7 tdi.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Yep I test drove the mk7 Golf and GSW in 2015 before the scandal and wasn’t impressed. I stick with my 300k Mk6 JSW (that time she had 200k with DPF/EGR deleted, CP3 came later)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk