Looking for 2" receiver hitch for 2011 JSW

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Only looking for the 2" receiver over 1.25" would be to use the many accessories out there like bike racks, trays ect.

Any known manufacturers?

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Uhaul.com

$159.95 shipped to your house. You can get the accessories from there or Walmart too.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
well, nvm about the two I sent. looks like both are only 1.25" receivers.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
A person could have an adapter made for the 1.25" hitch.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
The problem with the adapter, according to Yakima and Thule, is that the weld is the weakest spot of the set up. So the big question is how much do you trust it compared to the value of what you're hauling? If you look around on here, I think you'll find that any of the 2 inch receivers were homemade jobs.

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
The problem with the adapter, according to Yakima and Thule, is that the weld is the weakest spot of the set up. So the big question is how much do you trust it compared to the value of what you're hauling? If you look around on here, I think you'll find that any of the 2 inch receivers were homemade jobs.
Not that I've seen. EcoHitch or whatever they're being marketed as are 2". I would always rather go for a 2" and use a bushing down to 1.25" vs trying to upsize with an adapter

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Not that I've seen. EcoHitch or whatever they're being marketed as are 2". I would always rather go for a 2" and use a bushing down to 1.25" vs trying to upsize with an adapter
Exactly. Looks like the ecohitch is what I need, Alittle high dollar but has free shipping.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
etrailer.com has the same hitch, ballpark same price just in case one can get it to you faster than the other

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
Another option for people to consider now is the Bosal / Westfalia style hitch that replaces the bumper beam and "hides" up under the bumper.

Tesla Model X has a unique hitch adapter that plugs into this style hitch and gives you a standard 2" receiver. These adapters can be found online periodically.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Another option for people to consider now is the Bosal / Westfalia style hitch that replaces the bumper beam and "hides" up under the bumper.

Tesla Model X has a unique hitch adapter that plugs into this style hitch and gives you a standard 2" receiver. These adapters can be found online periodically.
If the westfalia hitch is the same as the one I had on my Passat, I wouldn't do it again as it converted the bumper to a solid non absorbing 5mph bumper. The ecohitch shows it uses the bumper mounting pad for strength w/o a solid bumper. Smart.

The wife refused to drive w/ the hitch installed for shall we say "visual" reasons ;). Never heard of the 2" adapter. Great option.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
EcoHitch install questions

**Update - found this VERY nice write-up, so disregard this post

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=438123&highlight=hitch

Been looking at the EcoHitch install VS the drawtite and similar. eTrailer shows it as a fair amount more difficult and time-consuming.

I THINK the primary difference is removing the bumper cover which looks like it involves removing the taillight assemblies.

For anyone who has done this:

Is that the primary time consuming aspect (removing bumper/tail-lights) or are there other parts of the install that are more difficult?

How difficult is pulling those items to do the install? Would you say it doubled the effort? More or less than that?

Thanks much!

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Great link,thanks