Need new battery for '15 GSW TDI

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Awesome. you paid $259 for the wrong type battery for you car. The only time an AGM is better is when the car charging profile is set up for it from the factory. The only dub I'm aware of that comes from the factory with at least one of it's two batteries being an AGM is the Phaeton.
Again, you can change the charging profile on an Mk7 to AGM. It’s battery type “Fleece” in VCDS.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Awesome. you paid $259 for the wrong type battery for you car. The only time an AGM is better is when the car charging profile is set up for it from the factory. The only dub I'm aware of that comes from the factory with at least one of it's two batteries being an AGM is the Phaeton.
Lol, any VW that has auto start stop, has AGM from the factory and have been on the markets since what 2010-2012ish? It's a global platform time to expand your narrow world view.

2018 GTIs and R have auto start stop in the US and thus have AGM.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
An AGM has been working great in my BEW Wagon for 5 years now, and this winter in particular the 100 Amp-Hr that fit in the same space as the OEM 80 Amp-Hr, with no cutting and notching came in handy since I now get to park outside at work. Great White North indeed!

Sent from my Moto X Play using Tapatalk

Discovery

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 SportWagen
These are great & not as heavy as a booster pack & smaller too

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the GB 70 model, it's 3y old. Save myself, friends and other motorists a good 30times.
Really powerful.

Biggest was a 6.2L super duty -23c/-10f interior light didn't even turn on. Owner gave me the usual "you gonna need something bigger than this".
*Start*
Then he ask me where the heck I bought it.

Canadian Tire eh.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
My 2015 Jetta tdi has the autocraft gold part #48h6 was 159.99 got it at advance auto parts 3 year warranty I never buy batteries at a dealer over priced and they charge to install part store does it for free starts every time

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I have the GB 70 model, it's 3y old. Save myself, friends and other motorists a good 30times.
Really powerful.

Biggest was a 6.2L super duty -23c/-10f interior light didn't even turn on. Owner gave me the usual "you gonna need something bigger than this".
*Start*
Then he ask me where the heck I bought it.

Canadian Tire eh.

Yes I have the GB 150 & it’s awesome!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 2015 Jetta tdi has the autocraft gold part #48h6 was 159.99 got it at advance auto parts 3 year warranty I never buy batteries at a dealer over priced and they charge to install part store does it for free starts every time

Odd our local dealer had OEM batteries group 48 70ah for my old 2010 TDI for $130-$135, I was able to walk out the parts department with one and returned for the core charge the next day after swapping it it out.

MEinSoCal

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen SE TDI
opinions are like assh*les, everyone has one. sorry to hear my battery cost more than your TDI is worth.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
opinions are like assh*les, everyone has one. sorry to hear my battery cost more than your TDI is worth.
Does your car have auto start and stop? If so, I just read that those type car may have come with an AGM battery and also, on the 2015 the charging profile might be able to be changed for the specific battery type.

My advice might be wrong for the newer cars and if so, I apologize for the unnecessary butt hurt I caused you. :eek:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The Autozone Duralast Platinum H8 (Made in Germany) battery I bought for $ 189.99 has
as rated on the battery:
900 CCA
1000 cranking amps
160 amp reserve
95 Ah
This is better than the OEM battery was, just for Ol'Rattlers information!

In fact these are the numbers on the OEM 47 battery:
72Ah
380 DIN whatever that means
640 A SAE I guess that means CCA

Now when I installed the battery I was told that there is no need to reset anything via VCDS because that is only necessary if the car has a battery management system.
Well I've done some reading lately which states an AGM battery does not like the higher charging rate a wet battery likes. So I found a setting and changed it to AGM battery installed. Since I also have a voltage gauge on my Scangauge 2 it now does show me that it does not charge more than about 13.9 volts, at least for now. Maybe that may change later.

Last edited:

utahjd

TDI
2009 JSW
For what it's worth, I put a Duralast platinum AGM battery in my 09 tdi jsw 7 years ago, and it's been working flawlessly ever since. Maybe the '09 isn't sensitive to the battery type like newer models, but in any case I haven't had any problems and my car always starts immediately, and it gets really cold where I live. So I can't comment on their suitability in all VWs, as a apparently it's complicated, but the Autozone AGM battery will last a long time, in my experience. Worth every penny.

I've had a lot of different brands of battery over the years, but the AutoZone duralasts have consistently been the best. I can't remember which manufacturer makes them (Johnson maybe?), but at this point, I'm a fan. I have two Duralast Golds in an 07 Duramax, and they're going on 10 years now, and that truck sits A LOT. Sometimes I get a charger on it, but not very often, and they're still doing fine. Amazing.

St.Hubbins

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf, DSG / '11 A3, DSG (both went buyback) - '15 GSW SE
bought a battery with that dealership "hush money" back when the scandal happened. just went to swap it in my '15 GSW, and noticed it's a bigger battery than the factory original.

can i expect any difference in performance/longevity in running a 72ah 380A 640A vs. the 61ah 330A 540a?
kinda surprised the old '10 Golf ran a fatter juice pack :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Never be underestimated by the bean counters and gram savers, smaller lighter cheaper will always win if the 200# Gorilia behind the wheel won't notice any difference. Did you also notice the door skins are now bonded/fused to the door frame and can't be unbolted and replaced in under 15 min? No you didn't? Well the bean counters and gram savers win again!!!

More Ah and CCA can't hurt especially if you already had the battery, can't say that longevity will be dramatically improved (both batteries will be subject to the same life robbing heat cycles/regens).