Strange no-start (no crank) issue

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
We got my wife's new '15 Q7 (for those who missed the post - as in an unsold holdback car) home, snow tires/wheels on (from wreck - NO wheel damage!!). It actually has a few differences I assume due to work or re-work related to emissions. The "old" one (60,000 kms) had a bit of throttle lag from tip in and would make a fairly harsh shift into low just as the car was slowing through <10 kph. New one exhibits no such rude behaviour at all. Actually very nice to drive (as was the '14 - those two items excepted).

Much to my surprise (and somewhat to my disgust) a car sold in Edmonton AB was delivered with no sump heater installed. We generally avoided starting below -30C, and when we did need it, it was 50/50 out of two attempts. The new car received a new battery on delivery, as I insisted on a conductance test, and it failed. When we started it all week, it very easily spun over fast enough from this shiny new block of lead and sulphuric acid. Well, at a mere -24C this morning, when I turned the key on, normal response. When I put it into start position, instead of a glow cycle, it made a relay click somewhere (NOT the starter relay) and just flashed the glow plug light. NOTHING I could find in the manual about glow plug light flashing.

Called dealer, who had me call Roadside Assistance to dispatch a rollback. Now, my biggest concern was if they took too long, and things warmed up, it might not do the same thing for them. Tow truck did not show, and each hour I would try and it did same. Finally, 3.5 hours later, tow truck arrived. Suck key in, gave it a twist and the damned car started normally. GGRRRR!!!

Anyone have similar experience or have any idea what the flashing GP light is supposed to mean?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Is the glow plug light still showing, you can take it to a shop and have them run the code. On my wifes mercedes, obviously not the same so I apologize, we had the glow plug light flashing, ended up being the computer relay to the glow plugs. $150 part switched out and the problem was gone.

Good luck.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
It was flashing when the no-start, no crank condition existed. Once it decided it didn't want to be a giant PITA, it went back to correct GP light function, cranked and started Of course, it set a code, but no time to dig out my VCDS and read it, and no desire after one week of ownership to do the dealer's job for them.

da.hs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf, DSG, silver (from new). 2010 Audi Q7 (from 2016), 2004 Touareg V10 (from 2018)
I found after -35C nights my Q7 would not even try to start - once flashed up "Low Battery Voltage" warning. Would be fine once temperature was above -25C for several hours. It has a sump heating pad (I think) which draws power but doesn't seem to achieve much. As the main battery is under the driver's seat, a cabin heater would probably work. Hopefully that weather is over for a year. I don't know how old the batteries are - could well be the original ones.

Start failure due to cold generated scores of error codes for VCDS to clear. I don't think I saw a flashing glow plug

Frostheater do a model for Touareg up to 2012 which may or may not fit the Q7 - I have to lift it up sometime and get photos of the plumbing underneath to them. They do not list anything for 2013+

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I have yet to set up access to ELSA (have purchased, but not installed on my service computer) so have no idea if I can install a circulating inline water heater (what Frost uses). I have 1100 watt version in wife's MkIV Jetta, and it will take a -40 engine to middle of temp guage in an hour, and starting is summer-like. I also put warming pad under the battery, but on a short term heating run it doesn't make a big difference in battery - but everything helps.

Would love to duplicate on the Q7, but not sure it is the best strategy. Will probably go to a low watt pad on the sump combined with battery maintainer connected at boost point (there is actually a pigtail on this car to do so) so it can be plugged in overnight.

What is bugging me about the '15 car is the '14 with its original battery did none of this nonsense, it would crank and at least TRY to start down to -43C (would not actually start though). Will see this morning what new car does, but since it is relatively warm (-18C). Have to go to Portland OR today, was going to take the Jetta, but can not leave a car with my wife I can not trust to start, so Q7 will do the trip.