ISO Info re the Q7 TDI -Considering Purchase

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A6 -- 2008 Mercedes ML 320 CDI
Oh man you should be able to negotiate a killer deal tomorrow 1/31/19!! That is if the dealer is even open for business with the record cold weather and if you can navigate there in person lol ....if not, then there's always the ubiquitous phone call route!

Would be interesting also to see what Huskies friend can find you at the auction and how much savings that might be....Could be worth "waiting it out" to see what he can resource.

Keep us "vicarious buyers" posted!!:rolleyes:
Love this^^^^ haha

I'm seeing a lot of '14 and '15 TDIs from the Q's to the A's hit the market. Whoever mentioned it is correct on the '16's, I am not seeing the same amount specifically the A6 on the market. A bit disheartening but they are out there.

Trae definitely push these guys today on 1/31/19. Wait on the tires or maybe get them to include a set for free as the last ditch effort for a deal before the month ends? Hard to imagine yesterdays -20 degress and today's -20 degrees they are selling anything.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Love this^^^^ haha
I'm seeing a lot of '14 and '15 TDIs from the Q's to the A's hit the market. Whoever mentioned it is correct on the '16's, I am not seeing the same amount specifically the A6 on the market. A bit disheartening but they are out there.
Trae definitely push these guys today on 1/31/19. Wait on the tires or maybe get them to include a set for free as the last ditch effort for a deal before the month ends? Hard to imagine yesterdays -20 degress and today's -20 degrees they are selling anything.

One would think. They contacted me 3x Monday and Tuesday about the vehicle-I texted them yesterday for the VIN# to run a CarFax-crickets. This is a sweet ride but we don't absolutely need a 2nd car just yet so can play the waiting game

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
One would think. They contacted me 3x Monday and Tuesday about the vehicle-I texted them yesterday for the VIN# to run a CarFax-crickets. This is a sweet ride but we don't absolutely need a 2nd car just yet so can play the waiting game
Just sent you the carfax report.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
3 prior TDIs - '97 B4 Passat Sedan, '96 Passat B4 Wagon, 2001 NB; Current - 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Pearl White Metallic - 2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Touring - 1995 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport Carb
Just sent you the carfax report.
Thanks so much! It confirms single owner in Virginia, no crashes, factory service, brakes flushed less than 6,000 miles ago. Also that it's priced really well. Damn they're not gonna negotiate are they? Got them to waive their stupid $895 "Interior Protec" charge. Also they list something called a "Doc Fee" which sounds suspiciously like padding, the rest seems legit. Now I need to wait on my insurance co., they lowballed me on the Bluetec, so I gave them the option, as evidenced in their own Total Loss handout, to either up their offer, or replace the car with the same model in the same or better condition. I doubt they'll find a 2012 or newer ML350 Bluetec in very good or better condition, with fresh paint, no interior or wheel blemishes, and all the oil seal leaks fixed for their $17,300 offer or that they'll want to spend the time to do so. But hey, knock yourselves out, fellas. Once I wash my hands of the insurance company, I will either (unlikely) have another Bluetec, or be able to pull the trigger on the Q7.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks so much! It confirms single owner in Virginia, no crashes, factory service, brakes flushed less than 6,000 miles ago. Also that it's priced really well. Damn they're not gonna negotiate are they? Got them to waive their stupid $895 "Interior Protec" charge. Also they list something called a "Doc Fee" which sounds suspiciously like padding, the rest seems legit. Now I need to wait on my insurance co., they lowballed me on the Bluetec, so I gave them the option, as evidenced in their own Total Loss handout, to either up their offer, or replace the car with the same model in the same or better condition. I doubt they'll find a 2012 or newer ML350 Bluetec in very good or better condition, with fresh paint, no interior or wheel blemishes, and all the oil seal leaks fixed for their $17,300 offer or that they'll want to spend the time to do so. But hey, knock yourselves out, fellas. Once I wash my hands of the insurance company, I will either (unlikely) have another Bluetec, or be able to pull the trigger on the Q7.
Doc fee is some Illinois tax all buyers have to pay. No way around it.
Thanks Illinois!

Last edited:

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Doc fee is some Illinois tax all buyers have to pay. No way around it.
Thanks Illinois!
I googled the Doc Fee and Autotrader site says it's basically a scam to get a buyer to pay a ridiculous amount for the dealer's overhead costs of filling out a few pieces of paper for the title and registration. Not sure if they'll waive it or not but it appears to be one of those deceptive "add-ons" that the dealers try and soak you with. I may double check with the Sec of State, but I purchased a 2014 Moto Guzzi cruiser last October, and the only fees the state charged were tax, title and registration, no "Doc Fees." If they insist on that I will tell them I'll take it to the Secretary of state and take care of the taxes and registration myself. I think they want $179 for filling out a couple forms and handing me a set of plates. What a racket.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
All dealers are accustomed to “out-the-door” contracts. I’d take that route instead of arguing over whether there’s a so-called fee in there. I never have felt that you can wear down a dealer. Bottom line is bottom line. Keep it simple.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally settled with auto carrier for the exploded Benz. Time to try and play let's make a deal on the Q7......

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
Just bought the sweet '013 Q7 with under 41k miles that looks showroom! Need to hook up with Malone in the not so distant future. First purchase will be more mundane-WeatherTech floor and cargo mats.

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Just bought the sweet '013 Q7 with under 41k miles that looks showroom! Need to hook up with Malone in the not so distant future. First purchase will be more mundane-WeatherTech floor and cargo mats.
I plan to use Profi Performance in Lyons when the time comes. They are listed as a Malone Dealer. I know I've seen A6/A7 on their site but can't comment on the Q7.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
I plan to use Profi Performance in Lyons when the time comes. They are listed as a Malone Dealer. I know I've seen A6/A7 on their site but can't comment on the Q7.
Thanks for the Info. Once I dig all my spare change out from under the sofa cushions, I will call them. Malone indicates coincidentally that any of his shops should be able to handle it. The question is whether to go with the delete, also. Malone indicates there's noticeable mpg, reliability and performance gains to be had with the delete and if you're getting flashed at the same time, it's relatively inexpensive. Wonder if anyone who has done the delete can comment?

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the Info. Once I dig all my spare change out from under the sofa cushions, I will call them. Malone indicates coincidentally that any of his shops should be able to handle it. The question is whether to go with the delete, also. Malone indicates there's noticeable mpg, reliability and performance gains to be had with the delete and if you're getting flashed at the same time, it's relatively inexpensive. Wonder if anyone who has done the delete can comment?
I've talked to the shop about the delete as well. They professionally won't tell you what you should and should not do. The whole "grey area" off road use only. They do give a discount on the malone + delete package. Also, if I understood correctly. The shop just needs your VIN number ahead of itme. They get the info from malone, you drop the car off in the morning and should be done by night time. If you do the delete expect the car to be in the shop longer, and plan ahead to give them plenty of time to have a time slot for you because its not as simple to do in one day. This shop can sometimes not have an availability for 3 weeks.

My problem with the delete, is I've read a mixed bag of reviews stating two problems.
1) Cold warm ups in the winter time are noticeable. Talking 5-10 minutes before you get heat in Chicago is not something I would be happy with and the wife would be even more upset.

2) The smell after doing the delete is noticeable enough (in the 3.0 liter cars) you won't want to be at a stop light with windows down during the summer. I'm trying to find more information as to how true this is, again seems worse in the 3.0's, and info on the mufflers (Rawtek?) that can do a better job of keeping the smell down.

I'm leaning towards just the tune to start out. That alone might help the EGR/DPF run smoother and less often. I will delete if a problem comes around. There is a Malone Dynamic EGR but its not available for the A6 yet. They didn't have plans to put this in the works after I talked with Owain at Malone Tuning.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
Subscribed.

Huskies, we have similar tastes in vehicles...I had a 2008 ML320 CDI as well. Knowing what I know now about diesel exhaust treatments, I wish I still had it. Traded it away for a 3/4 ton Duramax (which I wish I still had too).

I live in an area with emission testing so off-road mods become complicated. :(

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
Subscribed.

Huskies, we have similar tastes in vehicles...I had a 2008 ML320 CDI as well. Knowing what I know now about diesel exhaust treatments, I wish I still had it. Traded it away for a 3/4 ton Duramax (which I wish I still had too).

I live in an area with emission testing so off-road mods become complicated. :(
We have really enjoyed that SUV. Hopefully we can get another 100k miles out of it. She says she has no plans to upgrade. We will see how well she sticks to that word though.

How are you liking your '14 Audi A6? Have you tuned it?

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
I was driving the ML when we had it. It was a great car on paper for me. After driving it, I realized it was a chic car. Wife had a Denali...and she wasn't willing to trade me. In retrospect I wish I would have twisted her arm a little more to swap. If so, we'd still have it.

Got the A6 and absolutely love it. If the thing had apple car-play and was a manual transmission it would check every box I have. Even without those two things, its about as close to perfect (for me) as it gets. I miss the pre-fix behavior of the engine and tranny, but the big check from Audi was too much of an inducement not to fix it. We recently traded in the wife's Suburban for a new Yukon for her. While I was tinkering with the Yukon, putting on some bells and whistles, the wife started driving the A6...almost one year later, she's still driving the A6. I can't get it back from her. For her not being a gearhead, she gets her pick of the cars around here. LOL!

If I were driving it, it would be tuned and then some. With her driving it, as long as I keep the DEF full and make sure I put in some stanadyne in the fuel tank, that's all the special treatment she gets right now. I've spoken extensively with Owain from Malone and will, some day, have it tuned by Malone and likely add some offroad components from Darkside.

In theory these diesel exhaust cleaners are a good thing. Practically they have been a PITA for everyone. With fuel rail pressures where they are these days, I bet the 3.0l diesels would pass a breather inspection within normal operating limits. However the emission inspections around me are all OBD-II so its an immediate fail if equipment is removed. If something reasonable happens with the emission inspections around me, in addition to the A6, I'd have an A7 (for me this time), and two Q5s for my soon-to-be drivers in the driveway. The low-end torque, efficiency, and creature comforts are just too nice not to have a fleet of 3.0L TDI Audi's.

So right now, I'll have to live vicariously through you and Trae if you get yours tuned or tuned and deleted. (BIG SIGH).

Huskies2710

Veteran Member
TDI
I was driving the ML when we had it. It was a great car on paper for me. After driving it, I realized it was a chic car. Wife had a Denali...and she wasn't willing to trade me. In retrospect I wish I would have twisted her arm a little more to swap. If so, we'd still have it.

Got the A6 and absolutely love it. If the thing had apple car-play and was a manual transmission it would check every box I have. Even without those two things, its about as close to perfect (for me) as it gets. I miss the pre-fix behavior of the engine and tranny, but the big check from Audi was too much of an inducement not to fix it. We recently traded in the wife's Suburban for a new Yukon for her. While I was tinkering with the Yukon, putting on some bells and whistles, the wife started driving the A6...almost one year later, she's still driving the A6. I can't get it back from her. For her not being a gearhead, she gets her pick of the cars around here. LOL!

If I were driving it, it would be tuned and then some. With her driving it, as long as I keep the DEF full and make sure I put in some stanadyne in the fuel tank, that's all the special treatment she gets right now. I've spoken extensively with Owain from Malone and will, some day, have it tuned by Malone and likely add some offroad components from Darkside.

In theory these diesel exhaust cleaners are a good thing. Practically they have been a PITA for everyone. With fuel rail pressures where they are these days, I bet the 3.0l diesels would pass a breather inspection within normal operating limits. However the emission inspections around me are all OBD-II so its an immediate fail if equipment is removed. If something reasonable happens with the emission inspections around me, in addition to the A6, I'd have an A7 (for me this time), and two Q5s for my soon-to-be drivers in the driveway. The low-end torque, efficiency, and creature comforts are just too nice not to have a fleet of 3.0L TDI Audi's.

So right now, I'll have to live vicariously through you and Trae if you get yours tuned or tuned and deleted. (BIG SIGH).
I see where we differ. My wife has mostly driven SUV's, where I prefer a sedan.

I spent quite a few days at the beginning of this endeavour debating between the A6 vs A7. The upsides are too far and few between for the A7 to spend the extra $5k to $8k or pay less for an older model. Seeing as I want the updated 2016 model it wasn't a hard decision and they are both great looking cars. Plus a tune and/or an updated RS6 grill will be in that extra cost range easily.

Now I just need to find one in Daytona Gray. :cool:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Now I just need to find one in Daytona Gray. :cool:
My A6 is Daytona Grey with an S6 front grill :D
Great car! As for Apple Car play there are aftermarket kits to add it on. My Boss just put one in his Cayenne Diesel. Around $600 and goes INTO the factory radio. Note that he did have to remove and open the radio to add it.

trae

Veteran Member
TDI
I've talked to the shop about the delete as well. They professionally won't tell you what you should and should not do. The whole "grey area" off road use only. They do give a discount on the malone + delete package. Also, if I understood correctly. The shop just needs your VIN number ahead of itme. They get the info from malone, you drop the car off in the morning and should be done by night time. If you do the delete expect the car to be in the shop longer, and plan ahead to give them plenty of time to have a time slot for you because its not as simple to do in one day. This shop can sometimes not have an availability for 3 weeks.
My problem with the delete, is I've read a mixed bag of reviews stating two problems.
1) Cold warm ups in the winter time are noticeable. Talking 5-10 minutes before you get heat in Chicago is not something I would be happy with and the wife would be even more upset.
2) The smell after doing the delete is noticeable enough (in the 3.0 liter cars) you won't want to be at a stop light with windows down during the summer. I'm trying to find more information as to how true this is, again seems worse in the 3.0's, and info on the mufflers (Rawtek?) that can do a better job of keeping the smell down.
I'm leaning towards just the tune to start out. That alone might help the EGR/DPF run smoother and less often. I will delete if a problem comes around. There is a Malone Dynamic EGR but its not available for the A6 yet. They didn't have plans to put this in the works after I talked with Owain at Malone Tuning.
As for long warm-ups, it has butt warmers and a heated steering wheel. As as far as diesel exhaust aroma, it's like perfume to me - sometimes I wax nostalgic for my '96 Passat wagon with x2 oversized injectors, a Stage II tune, no muffler and a 2 1/2" straight pipe. After a frantic run from Chicago to St. Louis averaging 120-125mph, the entire rear end was covered in soot. Per Malone the delete increases fuel economy, livens up the vehicle considerably, gain in reliability due to drops in EGTs and EMP - at this point my main concern is doing something so visually obvious, that if I needed an expensive repair that would otherwise be covered by the dieselgate warranty, they'd notice the delete and say no way Jose.

Last edited: