Strut Assembly

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
Hi I new in this forum and hope to learn from you all. I have a 03 jetta and is time to replace the Strut Assembly I was hoping one of you experts could give me a good recommendation I was planning to use MONROE 171525 or MOOG ST8602 but a friend of mine tells me that I should go ahead and get something better since I am already having it apart. I would appreciate your input. I drive 45 minutes to work up and down a mountain in a very curve country road and about one mile in gravel road

Last edited:

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I have Monroe quick struts. Along with many on these forums. For a good every day strut it works and it's cheaper with springs. Be prepared tho as mine drove very stiff for about a month. They have about 9000miles and no leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
What do you want your shocks/struts to do?

I don't believe that the vendors on this site offer Monroes. Any time I run across something like this it gives me a pause for thought: vendors here are pretty sharp; I have a lot of confidence in using products that they offer.

NOTE: I'd look to replace shocks too. Shocks are pretty quick/easy.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
I have Monroe quick struts. Along with many on these forums. For a good every day strut it works and it's cheaper with springs. Be prepared tho as mine drove very stiff for about a month. They have about 9000miles and no leaking.

I like to have the same as good or better handle and durability of the oem my car has 260k miles and still handling great the only reason I am replacing them is because when I try to replace the struts mount on the passenger side I striped the 7mm allen screw in the top the shock so I going to replace the fronts for now and will do the rear soon.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Most would go with Bilstein TCs. I went with Koni STRTs: these are stiffer, which isn't too much of an issue for me because I drive on good roads.

At 260k miles I doubt that anything would still be holding up. My car's suspension was toast when I got it with 114k miles: came from Minnesota, which is why.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
It seams that the Monroe Quick-Strut may be the best choice for my application, apparently everyone that uses it are happy with the performance and improvement over oem. I appreciate your help.

Last edited:

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
Whichever strut you decide on, I'll offer one piece of advice from my experience: get an alignment done after the new struts. To this day I can't figure out why, but when I did mine last year, it threw the alignment out...a lot.

pontala1@gmail.com

TDI
03 jetta
Whichever strut you decide on, I'll offer one piece of advice from my experience: get an alignment done after the new struts. To this day I can't figure out why, but when I did mine last year, it threw the alignment out...a lot.
I decide to go with the high end Monroe 171525 its about 40% more than the economy Monroe and everyone that has one seams to think it is an improvement over the OEM. It was bellow $280 for the front pair with shipping I could not justify spending extra 70% on a performance one in my case because the high miles on the car. Its run great, I love it and never will sale it as longs it a good car. I also replace the lower control arm(original have a few cracks on the rubber) and tie rod ends so yes a alignment will be done. I like to thank all of you for help.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I decide to go with the high end Monroe 171525 its about 40% more than the economy Monroe and everyone that has one seams to think it is an improvement over the OEM. It was bellow $280 for the front pair with shipping I could not justify spending extra 70% on a performance one in my case because the high miles on the car. Its run great, I love it and never will sale it as longs it a good car. I also replace the lower control arm(original have a few cracks on the rubber) and tie rod ends so yes a alignment will be done. I like to thank all of you for help.

We paid like $175 for all 4 corners with springs and mounts. All I had to buy was new bump stops for the rear