Intake manifold upgrade

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
Hi there!
Need some help about deciding what to do with manifold I bought few days ago:(.

Trying to figure out what to do with ports I'm not going to use (egr-ccv vent),grind them away and weld the holes shut to have the plenum intact or leave them and just block off with a steel plate,maybe use them for something else?
Another and most of all the important question,I'm aware there are no benefit's in gaining some HP & TQ with my humble mods I have combined with that manifold, cause there is that extra volume and the 1.8T pancake pipe is already install'd also would that be too much for my vnt15,in means of a turbo lag or something potentially harmful?
Keep it for the time I upgrade all the other stuff,
sell it,
throw away?
Any thoughts are appreciated!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Dont worry about any Lag, look at the turbo kits you can buy that are underneath the boot area, those guys never complain about lag!! its crappy intercoolers and sharp bends that cause a pressure loss.

The VNT-15 will be the limit well before your manifold but it wont hurt to fit it and even the flow out between the cylinders.

A genuine VW part can be bought to block the EGR port, i used an old chair leg rubber to block the CCV hole on one of those. The better solution would be to crush the steel insert and remove it, then press in a turned brass bushing.

Nozzles will be a worthwhile upgrade, go for .216's if you are keeping the stock turbo and wont be doing a tune straight away. Or go direct to R520's and a tune so you have some fuel left in reserve if you upgrade in the future!!

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
What is that off of?

Are you sure it will fit between the engine and firewall?

fenwick458

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 T5 Van
the above manifold is from a 1Y engine(NA IDI). i have tried to fit one from a 1X engine (which is exactly the same except it has no EGR) and it did not fit in my mk4 with A/C as there were some A/C pipes in the way, but i have seen pictures of it installed in a mk4 golf/jetta engine bay so i can only assume that it comes down to if you have A/C or not.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Photo in that link(below quote) is my 2002 MKIV Golf. Works. :)

Original Poster...
If you plan on running the Turbo Inlet Pipe through the stock location, you will very likely need to grind that CCV port on the front of the 1Y manifold and fill the hole into the plenum. The 1X manifold require a whole lot of grinding on the back to fit over the vnt15(same as vnt17) EGR port. The 1Y shouldn't require any (or very little) to fit over the EGR port.

the above manifold is from a 1Y engine(NA IDI). i have tried to fit one from a 1X engine (which is exactly the same except it has no EGR) and it did not fit in my mk4 with A/C as there were some A/C pipes in the way, but i have seen pictures of it installed in a mk4 golf/jetta engine bay so i can only assume that it comes down to if you have A/C or not.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
I just couldn't bare to look under the hood with that ugly manifold on there lol. I'd have to grind that entire monstrosity of a port off and weld it in. That's just me though. You could just block it off and toss a rubber plug in the circular hole like Ryan said and be set! Functionally, it's a great looking manifold, but man does that manifold look butt ugly!

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
Thank you guys for the answers!
Still searching exactly the origin of the manifold,my ETKA says that part number does not exist?

I knew it's not PNP but now I see a lot of stuff that must be dealt with and I did not think of them before,firewall clearance is likely not a problem and I can't see any A/C pipes between engine and firewall but the turbo oil feed line seems very close just by looking underneath my hood.Would like to keep original TIP, eventually just a few cm relocated if possible and mount some ASV flapper (same 4 hole bolt pattern) from a earlier type SDI (A3).
Upper IC pipe must be custom manufactured so it fit's ok ...
@Farfromovin
Yeah,it's ugly as hell looking like that,my wife tells me the same so I had to promise her it's gonna have some "bling" factor,that's the only thing matters to her:D
So,all the unnecessary things will be sawed off,welded ...grinded and then I'm gonna try to mount the manifold

Edit:ignore the part number question,I found it on e-bay and it is SDI manifold
http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-SEAT-1-9SDI-A...1284?pt=Autoteile_Zubehör&hash=item2ea618af94
The old vw mechanic that sold me the thing was not lying me

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
It's a good base manfold, good length runners and entry angle into the head..

here's mine, slightly modified =)

Jakobicev

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora ALH 2002
It's a good base manfold, good length runners and entry angle into the head..
here's mine, slightly modified =)
Slightly modified?Hahahaha:)
That looks very interesting but I want to keep the entrance side as it is,at least so long (if ever?) until I gather some extra money to buy a bigger turbo.
Just hope this manifold wont get as it always goes with me buying stuff that I really don't need or can't fit like this FMIC...

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Why can't you fit this intercooler....???

Size looks perfect, might need some new endtanks, but that shouldn't be too hard..?