P2B's A4

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
It wasn't exactly perfect weather for getting the feel of my new ride or taking pictures, but I picked it up tonight:

2003 GLS with 152K, black cloth interior, ESP & tinted windows - never had tint before, will take a bit of getting comfortable with. One owner, dealer serviced with records, traded in on a 2009 CR JSW. I was shown the paperwork, they made 10% on the resale and did really a nice job prepping the car for me.

First order of business is the 160K service - timing belt, all filters etc. First mod will be the PP520 nozzles from my A3, currently in transit to DBW for rebuild and calibration.

I hope I got a good one for my first A4!

Simon

KID A TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI
nice! love those mkiv's ;) looks clean. tint looks pretty dark. darker than normal? which is good.

enjoy your new car!!!

OmegaRenegade

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta
SIMON! - what happend to your A3? i figured you'd drive that thing to the ground!

New wheels looks pretty sweet tho! Grats!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
OmegaRenegade said:
SIMON! - what happend to your A3? i figured you'd drive that thing to the ground!

check his For Sale. looks like he did, sort of.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks guys!

KID A TDI said:
tint looks pretty dark. darker than normal? which is good.
I'm not sure since I have no experience with tint, but it does seem dark to me. I find it a bit distracting, but I guess I'll get used to it.

OmegaRenegade said:
I knew one rocker panel was getting soft, then this spring I noticed a rust stain on one of the strut towers, poked it with a screwdriver and the news was not good :mad: I was about to get quotes on rust repairs, but a fender bender added insult to injury... sucks, but I decided against trying to rescue the body and I don't have the time or facilities to transplant the drivetrain.

Those are the 15s it came with... I think it would look a lot better with something bigger ;)

Simon

eric_TD

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH
Looking good simon! ;)
Don't mean to pry but how much did you end up paying for the car?
Did you end up negotiating the price down based on the looming TB replacement?

Cheers
Eric

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Looks like 20% tint all around. I'd suggest getting a shop to change the front windows to 35%. 20% would drive me nuts, too. Tint overall is great though in the summer and also at night on the highway (people behind me don't bother me anymore in my rearview mirror)

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
eric_TD said:
Looking good simon! ;)
Don't mean to pry but how much did you end up paying for the car?
Did you end up negotiating the price down based on the looming TB replacement?
I certainly didn't pay anywhere near the $13K asking price!

I'm not going to post numbers, let's just say I negotiated hard and got it down very close to black book. I know what the trade in allowance was and they did an excellent job of preparing the car, so I think it was a very fair deal.

Silver02TDI said:
Looks like 20% tint all around. I'd suggest getting a shop to change the front windows to 35%. 20% would drive me nuts, too.
The lighting in that picture makes it all look the same, but actually the back windows are much darker than the rest.

Simon

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
if its a stick(5spd) then you got a very good a4 in my opinion one of the best. Last year of the super reliable motor...center cup holders...all the bugs worked out of the earlier a4s. Best motor for fuel mileage no question...youll love it i have put on over 100,000kms in the 2 years ive owned mine and aside from brakes and shock mounts and the original battery crapping out it has been amazing.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Nice looking ride, Simon. Congrats! Sorry to hear about your A3 oxidizing on you, but you picked up a really sweet looking A4 to replace it.

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
saw Simon's new ride in person I have to say he did very well with his A4. Its almost looks too new for a used car....

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks John.

First trip to the cottage in the A4 last weekend - definitely more comfortable than the A3, but it needs more power! Loaded up with family and cottage junk with the A/C blasting it really felt quite sluggish on the 400 north - mind you, I don't think I can remember what the A3 was like stock.

I was pleasantly surprised with the dealer's after-sales service today - the radio card was missing, so I used VCDS to get the serial number, emailed it to the salesman, and he replied with my radio security code in a couple of hours :)

Simon

PHAT-DUB

Vendor
P2B said:
OK :D

PP520s calibrated by DBW installed today (transferred from the A3) - a small but nice performance improvement.

Simon

Simon you know you will need a tune now...LOL :D ...

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Boost Gauge

Last night I installed my home made LED boost gauge from the A3. It's a bit ghetto, but works well - very easy to read, even in peripheral vision.

If I can find square Indiglo Blue LEDs I might make a new display.

Simon

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Checked under the carpet in the trunk tonight - 2 golf tees and a nickel, otherwise spotless ;)

The spare had never even been removed, let alone used, since the car was new in 2003. Pressure was down to 18PSI :eek:

Simon

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
P2B said:
Checked under the carpet in the trunk tonight - 2 golf tees and a nickel, otherwise spotless ;)

The spare had never even been removed, let alone used, since the car was new in 2003. Pressure was down to 18PSI :eek:

Simon
Good call! Very few people check the pressure of their spare tires, and when they actually need them, their spares are near flat.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Maintenance

Today the car got a new timing belt, alternator pulley, strut mounts, and intake/egr cleaned. Also picked up a filter kit for the rest of the 160K service from PT, might wait until a bit closer to 160K before installing it.

Hopefully I'm caught up on maintenance for a while now - my wallet is feeling the pain :eek:

Simon

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
P2B said:
Today the car got a new timing belt, alternator pulley, strut mounts, and intake/egr cleaned. Also picked up a filter kit for the rest of the 160K service from PT, might wait until a bit closer to 160K before installing it.

Hopefully I'm caught up on maintenance for a while now - my wallet is feeling the pain :eek:

Simon
Nice car Simon. How you do you find the rear leg room compared to your older A3 beast?

Did you do all that work yourself, or outsourced to a mech?

Post more pics?

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
honda_vtec2 said:
Nice car Simon. How you do you find the rear leg room compared to your older A3 beast?
Thanks. The A4 is only a little bigger really, but it feels quite a bit more spacious, and rear seat leg room is where you really notice the difference - it's a significant improvement.

I helped with the timing belt etc. - saved a few $$ and avoided doing all that work in my driveway with my limited tool collection, best of both worlds ;)

I'll get around to more pics, but feel free to stop by :)

Simon

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
P2B said:
Thanks. The A4 is only a little bigger really, but it feels quite a bit more spacious, and rear seat leg room is where you really notice the difference - it's a significant improvement.

I helped with the timing belt etc. - saved a few $$ and avoided doing all that work in my driveway with my limited tool collection, best of both worlds ;)

I'll get around to more pics, but feel free to stop by :)

Simon
Hey Simon, I'll give you a shout next weekend. What day/time is good for you?