2000 VW Jetta TDI Manual Trans

RideoutKSC

TDI
2000 TDI Jetta, 2015 TDI Passat
I'm asking $2,800 after I have the timing belt, coolant flange seal, and rear rotors and pads replaced.
I am located in East Kingston, NH.

I'm selling my 2000 Jetta TDI with 287k miles on it, which I have owned since I believe December, 2007. I am the second owner. The first owner was my wife's aunt's neighbor, who did not treat this vehicle with a tender hand. After eyeing this car, and knowing it had sat for some time at a shop in Peterborough, NH, I offered $500 for it. It had a blown differential, and soot caked everything. It needed all new suspension, multiple interior pieces, and a good cleaning (dogs).

In early 2008 at 184,000 miles I had Reflex Tuning in Merrimack, NH (at the time) rebuild the transmission and install a peloquin differential. I drove the car approximately 500 miles, when a check engine light indicated a failed glow plug circuit. In attempting to remove one glow plug, it snapped off in the head. At this point I stowed the car in my dad's garage for FIVE years (completing college and graduate school) when I started my career and had the following work done to the vehicle by a notable guru in Braintree, MA.

184k miles
New cylinder head and all components in cylinder head
New intake manifold
New battery
New turbo
New timing belt and associated components
New connecting rod bearings

The bill for this work exceeded $3,000, but was easily justified with my commute to work (23k per year).

I then personally installed all new struts, strut mounts, coil springs, rear axle bushings, and all four calipers, rotors, and pads. At this point the car started to finally be driveable! One set of tires later and I was ready for my commute!

At this point I moved to New Hampshire, and found a shop closer to my work located in Lowell, MA (KMH). This shop saved me when my high pressure fuel pump started to go out on me in 2014 (I think it was 2014). I replaced this component at that time, which could have been right around the 200k mark.

220k miles (work done by KMH)
Malone Stage 1 tune

270k miles (work done by KMH)
Right Front axle
R32 Control Arm bushings
Fan Control Module
A/C recharge
New Vacuum Pump

In the midst of it all I replaced the following over time:
Both front fenders
Radiator @ ~270k
Installed Bluetooth radio
Installed CB radio
Installed Chinese Projectors
Installed LED fog lights due to Chinese projectors being insufficient :)
Thule Roof Rack (dropped my mileage down to 47 as of December, 2018)
Straight pipe (https://youtu.be/IRuwFzp250M)

The car is due for a timing belt, which will be replaced this Friday (March 29th). I am also having the Coolant Flange seal replaced at the same time, since the coolant will be drained for the Timing belt job.

I'll be replacing the rear rotors and pads this weekend, but the car will need a parking brake cable. I have not had good luck with these cables and disconnected it back in 2013.

I've had this car on the road for the last five years. Besides a lengthy time away from driving due to paternity leave and a torn quad tendon, I've been driving about 23k miles per year and routinely get 600+ miles per tank.

The car has some problems, which are mostly cosmetic. There's a dent in the driver's rear quarter, another dent in the driver's side rocker panel, some scratches on the front bumper, and long-term abuse from the road and tree sap on the hood and roof. The window switch for the front passenger window is sketchy, but I have a replacement somewhere. Every once in a while it'll grind going into first gear, but if I go into third gear first it'll slide right into first gear with no problems. I'm not sure if the side mirror defrosters work.

I'm asking $2800 for this car, and it comes with THREE sets of wheels. It'll have the new timing belt and all that good stuff. I bought a new-to-me 2015 Passat TDI with a manual transmission. The Jetta couldn't hold my son's car seat with an adult in front of him so I had to replace it.

Last edited: