For those who have bought a new TDI

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
I am really contemplating putting some of my tax refund and my current tdi towards upgrading to something with less miles. The real convincing will have to take place with my wife. But perhaps I am crazy myself...

So here's where I am now. 2010 JSW with 117k. Owned since 92k (about a year). In 3k miles, the timing belt is due. It may need new struts as I feel some wheel hop over bumps. Otherwise it is in great condition (clean AZ car). I have had some occasional non-start issues that I have not tracked down yet.

Warranty is almost up, which could be good and bad...

Good because it would be fun to delete, tune and CP3 HPFP, but that would be a hard sell too only because we have debt the money should go towards. But in the event we have a little extra $$ floating around, I will not be inclined to do those mods to a car with less than 100k on it. And if I jump to a new car, it will have less than 50k on it.

Bad because when I am out of warranty, well ya know...
The other bad element is that I bought the car before we knew VW would start reselling these TDI's so my price was considerably higher than what it is worth today. But that also makes it a buyers market.

What is your opinion and why? Perhaps one of you can offer some insight before I broach the subject with my wife.

Thanks!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Ok if I were you, go ahead delete, CP3 and tune. You will have smiles per gallon. She will start easier and run much better and you will gain 5-10 mpg over stock.

I had it done on my old 2011 JSW TDI with DSG, it was done at 185k and retired at 300k with 4 minor accidents and DSG ecu was failing (unusual at 300k miles) and went thru buyback. I sorely miss her.

Brakes and rotors and shocks lasted to 235k miles, front had 25% pads life left and rear was about done. 3 Shocks was okok. One was blown. Amazing for original since day one I bought her with 2 miles on clock.

The more you drive the more reliable they get.

Anyway Just got an 2014 JSW DSG and wished I kept the old one so we could swap parts and let the old one go. Soon I will do CP3, DPF/EGR delete and stage 3.5 tune with CR170 turbo. I miss the power/MPG with the old wagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nutty

TDI
2014 JSW
I wouldn't worry about it being out of warranty. I've owned many a diesel,most well over 300k miles, and no issues at all with proper maintenance (after you delete of course)!

That said I bought a 2014 JSW two months back with 120K on the clock and did a full fluid change, DSG, engine, and fuel filter, along with a brake job and the Malone stage 2 tune +DSG. I also deleted it and will say its amazing. Just keep up with maintenance and enjoy it!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
How are you out of warranty? When did you have the fix performed, and at what mileage? I would think you'd have some miles and years left.

Regarding replacing the car, you could look at from two points of view. First, it's almost always less expensive to maintain and fix the car you have than it is to replace it. And if your car has lost more value because of the number of cars now available for sale, that's a consideration. And when it comes to spending money that could be used for other things on the same car with fewer miles, you may want to hear your wife out before taking the plunge.

The other view is that the TDIs available now are going to be the last we'll ever see, most likely. If you don't get a low mileage one now, you may never find one. I have a '15 GSW sitting in my garage on a battery tender precisely for this reason. I still daily drive my '02 with 384K on it, but this was the only way I could be assured of a replacement.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
I bought the car in feb. 18 from a dealer who said it had been updated. So I don't know specifically when it was done. I was under the impression that the warranty was good to 126k?

I think I will wait a while and see how things pan out. I'll continue to maintain my car as if I am keeping it. Part of that decision is the refund wasn't quite as big as last year so therefore, won't go as far as I would need it to!

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I understand.... the date of the fix and what mileage at that day, will apply 120k miles over the mileage of the car, for example my car was 27k miles when the fix was applied, which means I have until 147k miles or 10 years. If I am wrong,

Please feel free to correct me.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Surely the VW dealer that performed the "fix" had to log it into some nationwide database so perhaps all I need to do is call my local dealer with my VIN and ask.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup they are all connected by VIN itself as far as I know. Keep me posted.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
Keep the car, do the mods, don't fret the warranty. Seems the worse thing to go is the HPFP on the car, but you'll be replacing that with a CP3 anyway, so....no need for warranty from VWoA.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup thats my plan. Im waiting for cp4 to go kaput because I cleaned it up 2 weekends ago and floored it after cleaning it up. It had specks of dirt/foreign debris in the fuel system where the fuel meter valve is, possibly by mechanic at vw that replaced HPFP didn’t completely clean the entire system. So i want them to clean it up before I install CP3.

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
New to this, but I am learning...
Timing belt is due at 130k, not 120k. Its $300 DIY.

Warranty is extended 4.5 years, 55k miles from fix being done.

Plug your Vin in here.
Tells u when, and what your Ex warranty is.

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

Of course, if you really want a newer car, ignore all of the above...;)

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for the site. Here is what it said:
Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles
Your vehicle was modified on Aug 15, 2017 and 86,146 miles.
So 86146 + 48k = 134,136 miles. That's a bit more cushion...
Can you provide documentation that states timing belt at 130k? What I found was every 60k.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Ran my vin of 2014 JSW TDI, they said...

Extended Emissions Warranty Information*:
The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Jun 14, 2018 and 27,093 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

Bradm

Veteran Member
TDI
02,03,05, Jetta 99.5 Golf
Also the date of the “fix” is on a sticker under the hood-drivers side

CDKJudoka

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Extended Emissions Warranty Information*:
The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date. This would be from the date that the car was originally purchased new, so it would be indeed a 10yr/120k mile warranty

In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Jun 14, 2018 and 27,093 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

So, in all what this means is that whichever is GREATER is the limit that applies. So with most of the cars that are low mileage, like yours, it would be the 10/120k that they would go by. If you purchased the car with with say 100K when the fix was done, or you own the car and had it fixed at high mileage, then the 4yr/48K from fix date would be what they go by.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting. Thats truly tricky to many people.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
New to this, but I am learning...
Timing belt is due at 130k, not 120k. Its $300 DIY.

Warranty is extended 4.5 years, 55k miles from fix being done.

Plug your Vin in here.
Tells u when, and what your Ex warranty is.

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

Of course, if you really want a newer car, ignore all of the above...;)
I pugged my VIN in and it said my vehicle (CPO 2011 JSW TDI) was not included???

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
They can be weird. I suggest caps lock on all letters of your vin. It works.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
They can be weird. I suggest caps lock on all letters of your vin. It works.

Good call. That worked

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah ha ha that happened to me too. Got me freaked out for a moment. Was like wait a min... try that and boom it worked.