Air suspension for Sportwagen

TomR

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 02 Jetta red(gone), 1998 Jetta(gone), 1981 Rabbit dsl(gone)
I put a hitch on my CPO 2011 Sportwagen, but it sits noticeably lower than my old 2002 sedan did. Anyone have experience with rear air suspension helpers? Thanks

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Swapping in Tiguan rear springs offer minimal lift over stock when empty (maybe 0.5”-1” lift) and a bit stiffer which handles loads better.
Might be less work to install, though not adjustable like the air bags.

Last edited:

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
Have an airlift kit on my wife's MkV (sedan), and on my MkIV (Wagon). Love it on both cars. We'll be buying a JSW soon (to replace the sedan), and I have no hesitation to add an airlift kit to another VW.
If you want to see why I had to add the airlift kit, read these threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4968277&postcount=2477
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4966499&postcount=2470
Summer of 2016, I made the same 2k mile trip as the photo of the squatted white MkV Jetta, this time with an AirLift kit. Night and Day difference. When I made runs to home depot to pickup materials for the house remodel, I was able to air up the airlift and get things back level so my headlights worked properly for driving 80+ miles through the woods where the deer and moose live.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Swapping in Tiguan rear springs offer minimal lift over stock when empty (maybe 0.5”-1” lift) and a bit stiffer which handles loads better.
Might be less work to install, though not adjustable like the air bags.
True. They aren't any fun to install lol Trying to squeeze the hard plastic airbags into the springs will make your forearms and fingers hurt.

The adjustablility is really nice though. Handles like stock when deflated and the support is there when you need it.....they will never come out of the springs though ;)

TomR

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 02 Jetta red(gone), 1998 Jetta(gone), 1981 Rabbit dsl(gone)
Hmm; two great options and neither one of them have many cons. The hitch receiver sits low unloaded, so my utility trailer w/15” wheels is tipped forward a bit. Not usually a problem, except when unloading a heavy bike. My hitch insert has a few inches of lift which helps the trailer leveling, but the lowest part of the hitch frame is fairly low to the ground. Did the Tiguan springs add much harshness to the unloaded ride quality?

Last edited:

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
I ran Tiguan springs only briefly in my 2010 Jetta sedan. I had installed Tiguan fronts, and wanted more lift in the back so I went to JSW Towing springs. THAT is a harsher ride in the sedan unless I have 2-3 hundred pounds of something in the trunk (which is about what the wagon weighs IIRC).
My JSW lift measurement info comes from the thread on lifting springs on this forum & what I observed on my car (minus a bit for the wagon being a tad heavier).
As for ride harshness I can’t really say, because...
1. I swapped out stock dampers for Koni FSDs at the same time
2. I run 18” Charleston wheels so those tires will ride stiffer anyway, and those tires are XL rated, not SL - so they have an even stiffer sidewall which means harsher ride.

I can say this though,
I put those Tiguan rear springs on my dad’s 06 Jetta when I refreshed his suspension 2 years ago along with Bilstein TCs and he’s put about 50k miles on it since.
My folks are both 65 and neither has complained about the ride at all, and the car sits level with their luggage when they drive ~300ish miles to visit. They have 17” wheels with Perelli P-Zero 225/45-17 currently.

Last edited:

TomR

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve ordered the air bags, and see how that goes. Would the JSW towing springs be similar to the Tiguan ones, in case I go to the next stage?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW towing springs will give you about 2”-2.5” lift in the rear. Mott took a bit funny if you don’t lift the front along with it.
Much stiffer. Handles loads a lot better.
Told a trip in January with about 300lbs in cargo. Sat level until both kids got in the back seat, then it sighed just below level.

The upside to the stiffer ride though, is that it corners great! No need to upgrade sway bars with my current setup.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
I just did this mod - the video was great but I found if you use a mightyvac to suck the air out of the spring and then fold it in half as the instructions say - then it slides right into the spring (original 2011 JSW springs) and is really easy to do. Took me 20 minutes a side to the install. Love the air springs and run the car with 10psi in them when not running a trialer as they suggest. Car feels good and is level when I add a loaded trialer - have pumped them up to 20psi for a heavy load.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914