www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs

Audi SUVs (Q7 & Q5) and other V6 TDIs Discussions area for Audi Q7 and Q5 TDI (2009+ in Canada & the US) as well as others with the V6 TDI such as the A6, A7 and A8 sedans.

Old February 18th, 2019, 08:18   #31
sootchucker
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 Golf
Fuel Economy: Good

i hope this helps... on my deleted X5, i had the identical problem. however when i performed the delete on the X5, i removed the cowl and airbox unit in the engine bay. turns out, i had reinstalled it improperly which caused the strong odor in the cabin while standing still. once discovered and reinstalled properly, no issue with smell.
Old February 18th, 2019, 11:26   #32
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sootchucker View Post
i hope this helps... on my deleted X5, i had the identical problem. however when i performed the delete on the X5, i removed the cowl and airbox unit in the engine bay. turns out, i had reinstalled it improperly which caused the strong odor in the cabin while standing still. once discovered and reinstalled properly, no issue with smell.
Thank you. I have also be curious of this, and is an additional concern. We will surely look at this also. Great advice!
PhunkFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2019, 17:36   #33
sootchucker
Veteran Member

no worries. i think the reason i had removed it was to access the ECU, now that i think back.

not sure where it is in the Q5, but if it is in that area and the airbox is not properly sealed, you can have very strong odors entering the cabin even without an exhaust leak.

otherwise, check all openings to the cabin. outside smell is only normal outside obviously and with windows down standing still. (if i am wrong, i stand corrected but as with my scenario in the x5)you should have no toxic smells inside the cabin regardless of AC settings. i tested this thoroughly before and after and i had no smell after i corrected my issue.
Old February 19th, 2019, 17:47   #34
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Awesome. I highly appreciate all the info!
Old February 19th, 2019, 17:48   #35
jscsir10

TDI(s): 2009 jetta

I was wondering what plugs you unplugged for the egr? I have a regen smell and I think itís due to the egr still plugged in. I have a stage 2 tune from Malone on my 2015 A6. I will do a full egr delete and a lot more soon, but I canít find any info on this.
I know with my diesel trucks, once you get the dpf and egr turned off, you need to unplug it all, or itíll make it smell as if itís in regen
jscsir10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:00   #36
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Yeah, that might be the case as well. I have a darkside developments EGR plug that sandwiches in between a pipe on the intake manifold, closer to the block and front of the car.

Though I may just try to get a custom piece made and attach it right to the turbo compressor and block it off there. That is where I see a pipe leaking.
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:36   #37
trae
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhunkFX View Post
That will have to be the next step. It shouldn't be coming in the HVAC regardless of how smell it is from the tail pipes, right?

Agreement here - I had a B4 Passat and 1st generation NB TDI back in the day, both running 2x oversized injectors, Stage II and III tuning programs respectively, and 3" straight pipe exhausts with no mufflers......never got any exhaust smell in the cars. There was plenty of soot; it I ran the Passat hard for a few hours, soot that you could write your name in would accumulate on the tailgate.
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:43   #38
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

I'm sure it is just a cowl, but I'm working on a solution for the EGR anyhow. I do see the soot. Next time the Q5 is here, I'll try to get some pictures of where I see a small, but high pressure, leak.

Then it will be a matter of removing and re-installing the cowl, as best as possible.
Old February 21st, 2019, 23:49   #39
DieselDeeds

Just got back my Q5 back today after DPF/EGR removal. I originally went with the Rawtek w/HF cat. I decided to go catless. The exhaust doesn't stink inside the car at all. There is only a smell if i'm behind the car while it is running or I just turned it off. Although, I notice there is a different sound from when the car is in neutral or park (same sound) versus if the car is in reverse or drive.. there's almost a slight turbo spool sound to it. Did you also notice this sound? If not, i'm wondering if I have an exhaust leak somewhere
DieselDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:36   #40
sootchucker
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDeeds View Post
Just got back my Q5 back today after DPF/EGR removal. I originally went with the Rawtek w/HF cat. I decided to go catless. The exhaust doesn't stink inside the car at all. There is only a smell if i'm behind the car while it is running or I just turned it off. Although, I notice there is a different sound from when the car is in neutral or park (same sound) versus if the car is in reverse or drive.. there's almost a slight turbo spool sound to it. Did you also notice this sound? If not, i'm wondering if I have an exhaust leak somewhere
normal.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 06:57   #41
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Yes, turbo sound is normal. Thanks Deeds! Glad to hear that info.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 11:38   #42
DieselDeeds

Of course- glad to contribute (when I can) to the community. The deleted + tune are amazing so far. Gas mileage and power is amazing! So everyone is agreeing it’s normal for there to be a change in exhaust sound between Park/Nuetral and Drive/Reverse? Phunk, I hope you get your car figured out quickly! Cheers.
DieselDeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:01   #43
PhunkFX
Veteran Member

Thanks Deeds... I'm working on it.

In the works:
New EGR Pipe (to fix a found leak)
New Tune (an actual known diesel tuner, Malone stage 2 off-road)
New Performance Exhaust (this is for me and for fun)
Check DP for leaks (cover that basis)
Uninstall & Re-Install Cowl (the leak into the cabin might actual be here)

Last edited by PhunkFX; February 22nd, 2019 at 12:14. Reason: Clarity