How many Miles on your 3 litre engine?

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Ok I’m asking all the current Touareg owners how they like their TDI. I am thinking of buying a Touareg tdi for my wife and having the vehicle double as our hauling truck to haul a 6000 lb travel trailer. I like how compact this pacakgae is yet more fun to drive than a massive pickup. To me the Touareg is the best of both worlds giving you a potent small footprint with a heavy haul capacity and very good fuel economy for its hauling capability. My only concerns are the long term reliability and maintenance costs in operating a Touareg over the long haul (200,000 miles) I have been told to stay away from the Touareg because of crazy repair bills for this complex engine by a former vw dealer manager (he works at a Toyota deleaership now). Tell me your experiences! Miles on vehicle, type of driving and repair issues. I am particularly concerned about how hot the turbos get during regen as that has great potential to cook the oil ,slugging the engine up. Definitely I’ve also heard that the timing chains are supposed to be a lifetime system but in practise are not so good and can be VERY expensive to replace. I really like to get a Touareg but not sure it will like the drive cycle my wife puts it through being a grocery car only driving 5,000 miles per year but driving about 35 miles per session say once a week. When we retire in 5 years this would be our only vehicle so it would be driven more.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
Ok I’m asking all the current Touareg owners how they like their TDI. I am thinking of buying a Touareg tdi for my wife and having the vehicle double as our hauling truck to haul a 6000 lb travel trailer. I like how compact this pacakgae is yet more fun to drive than a massive pickup. To me the Touareg is the best of both worlds giving you a potent small footprint with a heavy haul capacity and very good fuel economy for its hauling capability. My only concerns are the long term reliability and maintenance costs in operating a Touareg over the long haul (200,000 miles) I have been told to stay away from the Touareg because of crazy repair bills for this complex engine by a former vw dealer manager (he works at a Toyota deleaership now). Tell me your experiences! Miles on vehicle, type of driving and repair issues. I am particularly concerned about how hot the turbos get during regen as that has great potential to cook the oil ,slugging the engine up. Definitely I’ve also heard that the timing chains are supposed to be a lifetime system but in practise are not so good and can be VERY expensive to replace. I really like to get a Touareg but not sure it will like the drive cycle my wife puts it through being a grocery car only driving 5,000 miles per year but driving about 35 miles per session say once a week. When we retire in 5 years this would be our only vehicle so it would be driven more.

I won’t repeat what I said over on the Audi sub forum. There is also a ton of information over at Club Touareg, including a large contingent of diesel related discussions there. Much of what you find out about a T-Reg would also apply to a Q7, if your search takes you in that direction.

scrubber

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
116,000 miles, and yet to have a single repair issue. Still on the original brake pads. I’ve probably done half the services myself. I let the dealer do the bigger, 40k services. Those run $500-$600.
I do a good amount of short, hilly trips. I don’t think the Touareg cares.
I’m very reluctantly taking the buyback. Best car I’ve owned.

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
116,000 miles, and yet to have a single repair issue. Still on the original brake pads. I’ve probably done half the services myself. I let the dealer do the bigger, 40k services. Those run $500-$600.
I’m sorry you have to take the buyback but thanks for your response. What kind of services are you doing not doing. That is impressive that you are on the original brakes.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
I've had mine about a year and at 76k miles. Bought it at 63k miles. Been pretty good to me. I towed my car and trailer a few weeks ago with ease. About 5k pounds.

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
Our '09 has 138k miles and is also still on the original brakes, but getting close. Towed only once, a 4500 lb Passat on a 1000lb trailer, no problems. We bought it CPO at 21k miles; what few issues we've had were worked out under warranty, original or CPO. Have had common repairs such as interior blower fan and prop shaft, both within 10k of 100k miles, give or take.

AP Newman

TDI
2013 Touareg
Had mine 6 months, 74k miles now. Selling dealer spend ~4k replacing the EGR valve and egr coolant pipe with their 60 day warranty. Only mostly fixed the driveability problem. With the software emissions fix it became terrible, and I just got the news they are replacing the turbo(on VW's dime), who knows how much that will run.

I figure if I preemptively replace the fuel pump, there's not much else super expensive that should go wrong, although I'm only 90% sure the turbo is the root problem. I'd say research a good warranty company, pay the money for a little peace of mind. Still not sure if I"m going to keep mine or not, it is a really nice vehicle. It may depend on how the new tune changes the driving experience.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
There is a different forum out there that is Touareg-specific. One owner just reported out at 225,000 miles on a 2011 TDI. The transmission does not sound like it is in very good shape, but the engine appears to be doing well. Unfortunately, the only 3-pedal Touaregs were sold under the Porsche logo.

Gilty_one

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Execline 3.0 V6 TDI; 2012 Jetta Highline TDI
Isn't there an Approved Emissions Modification and settlement payout for the 3.0 TDI? There was for the 2.0 TDI....

I kept my 2012 2.0L TDI Jetta (and still happily bought a 2016 3.0L TDI Touareg)

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
Isn't there an Approved Emissions Modification and settlement payout for the 3.0 TDI? There was for the 2.0 TDI....
I kept my 2012 2.0L TDI Jetta (and still happily bought a 2016 3.0L TDI Touareg)
payout yes...no fix for gen 1s yet...you can still keep it tho, i have to keep mine bought it a month late