post-clutch install, won't start.. ground wire? clutch sensor?

AnnaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf 5-spd [BEW]
just did a full clutch install, everything is back in and how it was before but now the car doesn't start..

i did put the key in once to turn the steering while a bunch of stuff was off - so I'm not surprised.. but i don't know what to check.

i read some tend to miss a ground wire connection but i don't recall disconnecting any... O2J engine btw.

also, i hear that maybe it can be a clutch sensor issue? my pedal feels a bit weak, but i've also been driving a different car for the last two weeks which has a much harder pedal pressure, so maybe thats not a true assessment..

please help!! want to try out this new clutch asap :)

AnnaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf 5-spd [BEW]
posted too soon - not sure how to delete this thread but since i answered my own question i'll just post a reply here loll...

turned out to be a ground cable - the one bolted onto the started to the bell housing. someone else took it off when i did the clutch so i never saw it.. when i put everything back i didn't know to look for it. much less what to look for... turns out its in the bentley manual, but not for an O2J as mine is.

didn't have to take off all the panels for my relays, just the battery to access the starter.