www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old September 4th, 2019, 17:14   #1
rsfeller

TDI(s): 1996 Passat
Fuel Economy: 46.7
Default AC geniuses please step up...got a weird one.

Thought I had the common compressor solenoid on our 2011 JSW that runs the Sanden 16 model. Ordered a new solenoid from a well rated seller and had my reluctant local shop suck, swap and blow the freon back in.

My AC went from working 90% of the time to 100% dead. I really thought I had the common solenoid failure that can conk out at low RPM or high RPM but works pretty darn well most of the time. Accepted the fact I prob got a bad compressor and tech said it had the same pressure readings on high and low side, so...

Was saving up for a full DIY rebuild of the system.

Forward to three weeks later after all the 94F weather is over and I'm on the free way today doing 65MPH with the windows and sunroof open and all of a sudden my feet start freezing. I look at the HVAC system and the AC button is OFF...100% OFF. I clearly have AC coming from vents on a 80F day. I turn the button on and for the next hour I have AC. No issues at low or high speed, idle ect. Drove home and put inferred gun on it and it's shooting 42.5F out the vent at 80F ambient (60%).

*** is going on with the AC running with the switch off?

I'll update more tomorrow to see if this was a fluke or resurrection from something clogged (unreleased to previous issue).

I can add that it seemed that often the fan speed has an over drive when on 3 or 4 that will increase RPM/speed and allow AC to kick on in the past. I even got crazy for a moment when I thought turning on recirculation would engage AC...so maybe I'm dealing with a wiring/computer issue here rather then hardware?

Also, and VCDS testing I can do?
rsfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2019, 04:51   #2
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

OBD works, start there. The Climate has the ability to store and display DTCs, has observable data, and even some other things, just like any other module in the car.
Old September 5th, 2019, 08:42   #3
JELLOWSUBMARINE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
OBD works, start there. The Climate has the ability to store and display DTCs, has observable data, and even some other things, just like any other module in the car.
Thats interesting. When my typical RCV related issue acted up the fan speed had a mind of its own. Air flow would choke down (seemed like internal door flap closed??). This was only when not cooling properly as I recall. Please post the DTCs if your able. Ive been out of the a/c feild for awhile and am amazed by the a/c tech improvement.