ALH turbo vnt ring wear 490k miles ...

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
long time customer was having overboost issues for quite a while ... actuator had a very sticky spot so I swapped out the tired original turbo for a very low mileage unit ... had a chance yesterday to peek inside, here is what i found ...

actuator arm showing significant wear

vnt control ring showing arm interface slot worn badly

this is how the parts had worn together

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Wow! I've never seen anything like that.

Do you suppose that the Vanes are scrubbing the manifold housing? I've found them scrubbing which caused the Actuator to appear to be non-functioning. I used a dremel to shave off some material for clearance ,,, issue solved!

Thanks for sharing your finding!

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Wow! I've never seen anything like that.

Do you suppose that the Vanes are scrubbing the manifold housing? I've found them scrubbing which caused the Actuator to appear to be non-functioning. I used a dremel to shave off some material for clearance ,,, issue solved!

Thanks for sharing your finding!
Andy ... the turbo worked great for the better part of a half million miles and never had an issue with coking up as the driver gave it no chance to ... it's possible that wear inside the vane assembly led to high effort at the actuator arm .... this same issue with control ring/lever wear is becoming apparent in KP39 turbos with less miles so keèp your eyes open... it's not always carbon!! ... turbo was shot all the way around and had worn thrust and shaft bearings (you can see evidence of the turbine rubbing the heat shield ;))

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep, I do see where the Turbine has been rubbing the heat shield!

Well, any way you look at it, that Turbo has served it's purpose well!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, can't complain, that turbo did good.... lasted a lot longer than many of the newer cars do! Thanks for posting the pics!