broken exhaust manifold stud

96powerstroke

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Ford Powerstroke (I know, its not a "TDI" haha); '98 Jetta TDI
in the process of pulling the turbo I broke the stud that mounts the turbo to the manifold. I still have a stub of the stud sticking out. Has anyone removed one of these studs fairly easily with the manifold still on the vehicle? I tried hitting it with some heat the other night but my oxy-mapp torch probably wasn't hot enough.

Finally decided now was the time for an oxy-acetylene torch :D so I want to give that a try first. I have my doubts so worse case I'll have to pull the manifold. How difficult is removing the manifold? The nuts *should* be copper right?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
if there's enough of a stub to get a hold of with vice grips or stud extractor, you can grab it and just use a ton of heat all around the stud while working it back and forth till it finally loosens up.

good luck, i know that's not a fun time...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
What I've noticed on diesels is the nuts will either come off or pull the stud with it. With the turbo removed, pulling the manifold isn't a terrible job.

Nuts are copper coated steel.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have had this happen more than once and it's a pain, but workable. Your small Oxy/Mapp torch is fine, it's what I use for small stuff like that. Get the other side of it hot and then use some penetrant like Kroil, PB Blaster, or even house wax to wick to the heat and then try to gently move it with some Vise-Grips. Back and forth slowly so it doesn't break off. Get it good and hot to break any rust on the threads first.

That one isn't too bad, the one I really hate is on the turbo, up high since there isn't a lot of room there to move the Vise-Grips.

96powerstroke

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Ford Powerstroke (I know, its not a "TDI" haha); '98 Jetta TDI
thanks for all the advice. spot on.

On one of the studs (it was actually broken off in the exhaust manifold - the one that mounts the turbo) I was able to get out by welding a washer to the stud then a nut to the washer. Heated the perimeter of the flange and it came right out with a wrench. So happy I bought a torch and own a welder. As for the manifold to block I only had to cut two of the nut and really only because they were rounded off. The rest backed right out stud and all.