Transitioning to MK6 Golf TDI from MK6 GTI

Anonymous911

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 DBP GTI SE 6MT PP/LP
Hello all,

I currently own a '10 MK6 GTI 4DR 6spd with Unitronic Stage 2, and I am looking to replace my gti with a used MK6 Golf 4DR TDI 6Spd in a month or two.

I am doing this to save myself lot of $ in the long run with the TDI than the GTI which I will have money left available to pay the school loan payments. I was fairly jealous when I saw that I averaged 35mpg in town with a Golf TDI manual I test drove today while I only averaged 23mpg LIGHTFOOTED in town with the GTI. I know it is big difference by going to Golf TDI from a 340lbs ft of torque GTI. My VW guy at Garnet VW will be looking for a '10 to '12 Golf TDI Manual for me, and I am aware that it will take some time to find one.

Question is: Is it worth it to get a golf tdi with under 60k miles?

Is there anything I should be aware of the TDI like mechanical or anything else? And What should I look for before buying the Golf TDI?

Last edited:

fdizz

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf 6MT
As long as the tdi you are looking at has proper documentation of all the correct services done at the correct times you should be good to go. Oil every 10k, fuel filter every 20k, I do my air filter every 20k as well but I think the correct interval is 40k.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
HPFP and Intercooler icing are the two issues that are discussed more than the rest. If you have read up on those and are willing to take the risk then there isn't much more to know. Be sure you really know the facts.

Other small things to take into account (mentioning with disregard to the fact that you have a GTI as I don't know anything about it)...

1. Relatively expensive oil
2. General DPF concerns (expensive, not sure of longevity)
3. New model should be out in 2014

A good thing is you should average in the 40s with the manual if you do any type if highway driving.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I usually tell people that unless you drive 20,000 miles a year or more a TDI really isn't worth the investment in purchase, maintenance, and fuel. Do some math and see if it's worthwhile. Also, keep in mind that mod opportunities for new TDIs are limited.

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Depends on how things fall money wise really. If your going to spend thousands to do the swap and only keep the car a few years anyways, especially essentially being the same basic car, it's not going to be worth it. You'd be better off paying the difference in fuel.

HPFP - it is what it is. Just be aware some do go. Otherwise it's not like it's imminent or raises the chance simply cause you got the car used vs new.

Intercooler icing - That is a real possibility for you being in PA, so something you may want to pay attention to.

DPF - I don't know why this occasionally comes up. I don't think I have yet to see any post about someone's DPF legitimately failing or getting used up. Several members with over 100k are still kicking along fine there. You do see quite a bit on here where dealers have changed DPF's, but in every one that I recall, it seems to be them simply throwing random parts at a problem and not one of those threads were dealer changed solely the DPF and problem fixed. It's always DPF and other more likely EGR/exhaust parts.

Mileage to make a TDI worth it....for used, again comes down to money. I've seen MK6 TDI's go for very reasonable prices occasionally, like gas MK6 prices. Otherwise the only real concern is if most of your driving is enough for the engine to operate at temp. Just wouldn't be good for these cars to do like a 2 or 3mi trip once or twice a day and that's it for example.

Just my thoughts.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Buy an old, used, POS Corolla for cash and pay off your student loans as fast as you can. Trust me, 20 years from now, you'll be happy you did. :cool:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What oilhammer said. Do it, you won't. :D

And I agree that DPF failures are rare. I know of one '10 JSW with a cracked DPF at 60K, but that's a tuned car that's driven hard. Otherwise I've heard of none.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
While I agree with oilhammer, you might also want to consider a "last year" model. The dealers may make you a better offer on a new one that's been sitting around a while than you'll get on a used one. The advantage is that you pick up the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty and the "free" services. We bought our 11 Golf in Sept of 12 and got about $4000 off the sticker, before the trade.

IndyVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
While I agree with oilhammer, you might also want to consider a "last year" model. The dealers may make you a better offer on a new one that's been sitting around a while than you'll get on a used one. The advantage is that you pick up the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty and the "free" services. We bought our 11 Golf in Sept of 12 and got about $4000 off the sticker, before the trade.
+1 on finding a new leftover '12. I found two of them an hour away and the 4dr Golf that I ended up getting was marked down $3k before I even started to haggle. Something to consider. If you have interest in a new '12 2dr, I know where one is. :)