Need help car not starting

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
2006 Jetta 1.9 tdi

I went to trouble shoot the car as my wife told me the driver door locks, trunk opener and fuel door flap were not working. I checked all the fuses and that was ot the problem. I did search on here and found the problem was broekn wires in the door boot. Sure enough that was it. I took the panels off and fixed the wires. That problem is fixed.

Now the car will not start. OBD2 scanner shows P0600 code. I did a search on that code and found another guy had trouble after pulling fuses as well.

The battery is new but I checked it and it is good to go.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Oh by not start I mean everything turns on but it will not turn over. It makes no sound when the key is turned to start.

Last edited:

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
OK, so it doesn't start. What does it do when you turn the key to start?
Sorry I was editing when you were asking. It does nothing. The dashlights light up, the dinger sounds off but nothing from the starter. Just like the key has been turned to a dead zone.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
2006 Jetta 1.9 tdi

You need to find out if you are getting power to the signal wire on the starter solenoid.

If you are, jump power to the terminal from the battery (be sure the transmission is in neutral). If it doesn't start, your starter is toast. If it does, you have trouble between the key and the starter.

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
With the key turned on or off I can not put it in neutral. The shifter will not come out of park. The steering wheel unlocks but the shifter will not.

The check engine light does illuminate when the key is turned.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
With the key turned on or off I can not put it in neutral.
I don't know this system very well, but it sounds like something in the Neutral switch circuit, possibly. I'll try to look into the wiring and see what I find.

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
Man I sure thank you fellas. I have to walk away from it right now. I ave been working on this since 10 am. I will get back at it tomorrow. Thank you again for trying to help.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Please let us know what you find and how you found it. This is the first no start on an 06 that I recall and I would like to know more. According to the wiring diagram, the signals all go through controllers, so I don't know what all is involved in the logic circuits on this system, but I hope to learn.

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
Please let us know what you find and how you found it. This is the first no start on an 06 that I recall and I would like to know more. According to the wiring diagram, the signals all go through controllers, so I don't know what all is involved in the logic circuits on this system, but I hope to learn.
I promise you I will report back. I owe this forum that at the very least. I can't help but think it has something to with pulling fuses. Or something to do with me starting the car with the OBD still hooked up. I didnt see it and then noticed it. After I shut it off again was the last time it started.

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
Had a wrecker come get it and it is headed fo V-Dubs in Houston. He seems highly regarded by others on this forum. I will report back.

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
Ok well the car is fixed. It was never broken in the first place. I have to show my hiney for all to see. I put one 30 amp fuse in the wrong slot. It controls the transmission. The car recognized nothing was in the slot and would not allow the start. I can't believe I did it but apparently I did. My stepson and I went back through the book before it went to the shop and checked all the fuses for the right slot. The probelm is the book doesn't cover all the fuses.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
I knew that too and thought about mentioning that the fuse locations you find aren't always correct. I failed to say anything though, so that part is my bad.

Glad that all is well now.

wal1809

TDI
2006 Jetta-2002 Beetle
I remember getting confused on one 15 amp fuse as there were two empty slots after I took it out. I tried it in both and of course nothing. I never suspected the 30 amp. I am going to take a picture of the fuses in place and just file it somewhere. Thank you guys for trying. Thank God it wasn't a huge deal.