conversion from single din to double din radio/cd.

silverbeast

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 2 Dr GTI - Candy White
I have a 00 Jetta with just a single tape deck and changer in the trunk..
I want to know if I would be able to install one of the new double DIN cd/tape/radio all in one..

In know that I would have to change the connector to a larger one, but is ther e anything else in should know???

Also has anybody else done this??? If so can u tell me what parts I need, part #’s and possibly a schematic with the pins I need to rewire this whole thing???

Thanks in advance.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
You should know that the double din's require an additional Can bus that the 2000's do not have. The late 2002's added the additional bus and thus a different CCM (central convenience Module)

I think you can technically get it to work, but you'll lose some of the functionality of the head unit without the additional can bus.

Lito

Techzero

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Reflex Silver 2 Door
I've owned a VW with a single din and double din. In my opinion the double din sounds horrible in comparison. And it has this annoying habit of turning off every time you adjust the volume. If you still want one I'll trade you my double din for your single din.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I like the sound of my single din Premium IV radio to that of the double din Monsoon in dad's Passat. The Monsoon is too bassey and unbalenced... and the trebble is much to sharp. The Premium IV is more dull, but is better balenced IMHO.

-Jason

penclnck

If the car has power windows, then I think one could simply tap the CAN BUS and then the double DIN would know when the dash lights are turned on and when the S contact is opened (key removed).

The lights in the controls for the power windows are not hardwired to the light switch, the door control module recieves a signal over the CAN BUS telling it the headlights were turned on, thus the door control module turns on the lights in the switches for the power windows and such, so simply tapping the CAN BUS should tell the double DIN as well when the lights are on or off.

Now for the turning on/off with the key I'm not 100% sure about. The CCM (Comfort Control Module) does get a S contact signal at T23/3. But it is also hooked up to the CAN BUS system to which is build into the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster also gets a S contact signal and very well may relay S contact signal info over the CAN BUS (my guess is that is does).

Fuse #37 is between T23/3 and the ignition's S contact. If some one could program the door to auto unlock with thier VAG COM, then lock the doors and with the ignition on, pull fuse #37 out. If the doors unlock then the CCM is using the S Conact signal directly to open the doors. If nothing happens, then the that would say the CCM uses the CAN BUS to tell it what the S contact is doing.

..... off to play my new video game....

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
Could allways put in a nice aftermarket radio also. I bought a rockford fosgate because it matches with red buttons and blue screen. Sounds far better then the monsoon radio that was in my 01 jetta had to remove the back support bracket so the radio would fit but it sits in there nice now.