Gear engagement Q, clutch mechanicals or hydraulics

SoCalC

Veteran Member
The car was at a body shop for a week and lo and behold I have an obvious increase in difficulty putting it in first gear in particular. It was driven the rounded mile on the main odo or less, so I doubt it was abused but this is about the third time I've received a car back from an automotive professional something and had a new problem.

I notice going from reverse right to 1st seems to lessen that, makes it go into first normally, but haven't tested much. I need to try pumping the brake pedal before engaging 1st to see if there's a difference. It seems to shift normally through all gears while underway.

i just now looked at the master and slave clutch cylinders and do not see any sign of fluid on or around either. Where is the fluid reservoir for this thing?

Anyhow, original clutch in this thing at 288k miles. I am easy on clutches and quite high highway to city ratio. The clutch or ? is making the rattling noise from the DMF? iirc when clutch is engaged. It used to silence when pushing the clutch out. I will check to see if that's still the case.

So at the moment I am thinking this is clutch mechanical related but looking for advice.

Once I get body work taken care (hit and run left rear quarter at freeway speed, great SoCal nonsense) I was considering getting the clutch and trans fluid replaced at same time.

The only time the factory clutch has slipped was on the way back from a guru for unrelated work about 20K ago. It slipped once or twice when I loaded it in 4th and 5th gear then never happened again. Motor is making 130-140.

Thanks

SoCalC

Veteran Member
Ok based on what I was seeing, or not seeing in this case, I thought that might be the case. The brakes were bled on pad replacement 1-2 years ago and the level was normal high as of today. Anyone know of cases where the clutch needs bleeding without any apparent fluid loss? Should the clutch be bled for pm purposes? It hasn’t been since I’ve owned it 2004- so probably never, but I’m thinking no.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Brake/clutch fluid replacement interval is every two years IIRC, and the clutch would therefore be bled on a PM basis at that interval as well.

It's a short PM cycle because the fluid is hydroscopic...moreso a problem for the brake side from a boiling point perspective but system-wide from a corrosion perspective.

If you've not done a fluid change for some time perhaps now is a good excuse...insist the job is done properly including a flush of the clutch circuit...and then see if your symptoms persist?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SoCalC

Veteran Member
Thanks for input. I’ll do a bit more testing then probably gonna bleed clutch slave itself. Put fluid in there with pump style oil can and new fluid in reservoir watch for any air to clear at the reservoir. I’ll take a look at the linkage but shifter feel is same normal. Coincidences do happen but I have a feeling someone messed with it.

Last edited:

SoCalC

Veteran Member
Pumping the clutch pedal doesn’t seem to change the engagement ease or lack of ease issue. There is noise from the clutch trans area in neutral with the clutch out as I stated before. It goes mostly or completely away when I push the clutch out or disengage in neutral. Does this symptom along with the onset of difficult engagement of 1st or reverse lend itself to the throwing bearing or clutch itself or this particular flywheel?

Generally when I’ve had throwout issues before they make more noise when clutch is disengaged vs engaged, so opposite of this vw situation.