Hello! New Bv4 owner: green 1996 B4V Passat TDI manual wagon

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Hello! New B4V owner: green 1996 B4V Passat TDI manual wagon

Hi there! My name is Steve, and last week I bought a '96 B4V from a forum member. I've named it Tulbirt ♥ -- T.U.L.B.I.R.T (pronounced Tul- Burt) = because its the best car ever for The Ultimate Low Budget International Road Trip. I'm in Austin, TX and frequently drive to Mexico, and Tulbirt will be my new Mexico road trip car.
A bit about me: I've had a few old VW diesels, and one newer TDI Golf; life time mechanical person, former service manager at an independent auto repair shop that specialized in Porsches.. I lead off-road motorcycle trips in the mountains of Mexico, but sometimes also drive there on the pavement! If anyone is interested in joining us in Mexico some time, I have a big FREE trip I'm helping lead with about 80 riders in October. Mextrek #10
Here's Tulbirt

The car really is in great condition, well taken care of, but also with a short list of happy little things that any old car might want to be 100%. The (2 layers) of old window tint obscured the view from the cabin and I spent many hours yesterday carefully removing it all... Today I'll be replacing shifter bushings, tomorrow hopefully my Freon will arrive and I'll be going through the AC system with a fine-toothed comb.
Anyway, Hi! I'm happy to be here.
-Steve

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome! Glad to see someone keeping a B4V going. These wagons truly are unicorns.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Looks good. Next time you remove tint, use steam.... glue comes off with the tint and there’s very little clean up.

-Todd

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Looks good. Next time you remove tint, use steam.... glue comes off with the tint and there’s very little clean up.

-Todd
Thank you! I wanted to use steam... even called all my neighbors to see who had a steamer I could borrow, but no luck! So I ended up using a heat gun and a spay bottle with soapy water + a razor blade. It eventually all came off... plus it's approximately 105°F, so that natural heat probably helped. =)

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Welcome to the forum! Nice looking b4v if I do say so myself!